How Do Non-Smokers Handle Stress?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a reformed smoker...I quit of September 25, 2012...I was a 2-3 PAD smoker depending on what was going on. Instead of smoking, now I rock my fitness. I don't sit here and get streseed and drop down and do pushups or anything (actually, I did in the beginning)...but when you have a consistent fitness routine, it just keeps those endorphins going all of the time. i'm rarely stressed out the way I used to be stressed out when I smoked...I can brush pretty much anything off. If I can't...it's dead lift and PR time...hitting PRs on deadlifts or squats pretty much cures me of anything.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I eat, hence me being on my fitness pal.

That's what I was going to say lol

I've since replaced stress eating with running however any exercise works. Find something that requires your focus to take your mind off whatever's stressing you out.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    one more thought to help demonstrate my theory.

Smoking as a stress reliever is like this:

Buy a pair of shoes that is a half or full size too small. Put them on and wear them all day. Thus creating the stress of having shoes that are uncomfortable and too tight. Then at the end of the day, take the shoes off and feel the relief.

That is what smoking is. You are giving yourself 1 to 3 minutes of relief followed by an hour or more (depending on how often you smoke) of added stress until you can have that next cigarette providing you with that relief again.
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! You did it before, you can do it again! Add me if you want, we can motivate each other. The biggest thing besides being able to breath making me do this, I HATE THE CONTROL NICOTINE HAS OVER MY LIFE.

I hate being in a dr office waiting too long but getting more upset than I should be because I'm having a nicotine fit. Or being in a movie and not wanting to get up but craving that nicotine. Or being at a school function and wanting to walk outside for a minute for a smoke but can't or I'll miss my son doing his thing.

I can remember walking around Universal Studios, using the map to gauge where we would take breaks based on where the smoking cans were located! My kids thought we were nuts!

I JUST REALIZED I WAS HITTING REPLY INSTEAD OF QUOTE!!!!
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I hate being a grammar nazi, but it's Mortal Kombat.

Any who, I read and take baths. Just some nice essential oils, hot water and me :]
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Due to ongoing medical treatment for my enlarged liver, spleen and uterus - I can't go running or jogging or biking right now, though I will be taking that back up a few months down the road when I get to the other side of this.

What about walking? Go for a walk each time? I've made up my mind to do all this regardless of my current obstacles, so please don't see it as "excuses" - I'm serious about this.

Hey, I'm down with whatever you can do and you like. If you like walking, walk. But if you can't walk, the yoga breathing is amazingly beneficial. To tell you the truth with your health issues, it might work for you anyway - just gentle yoga, don't do all the intense stuff. Maybe get a yoga for preggo ladies tape. I did that when preggo and it was very gentle and forgiving.

In any case, stick to it :)

Bless your heart you get it! LOL... Thank you! It is a lot to take on, but all needed so I have to put my big girl panties on and JUST DO IT. I think I'll try the yoga idea... as for the prego thing, that's funny because I look pregnant right now with my enlarged organs pushing out my abdomen - I've been joking about getting a "Baby on Board" shirt! LMAO!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Walking a lot! Walking up hills. Walking fast. Just walk and breathe! It helps!! Congrats on trying to get healthier. You'll be so glad you did.

Thank you!!! If I walk too fast and far my abdomen starts hurting, but walking needs to continue nonetheless. I'll make sure I go every day.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Sex. Lots of it. Oh, and sometimes alcohol. Sometimes both!
    [/quote

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    honestly video games help me when i feel stressed also, a good tough work out.
    those two things make me feel solid after stress. and i have tons of stress these days

Did I mention I'm also trying to break my games addiction so I can tackle all this other stuff LOL!!!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Ive never smoked and I think I shop when im really stressed out, or I drive somewhere to get away, I cant say i have one habbit to help relieve it maybe yelling but Im really trying not to yell....

I hear ya! I start and stop myself mid sentence as soon as I realize I'm letting my stress do that, everyone looks at me so funny as I finish my sentence with a calm low voice. *chuckle* Deep breath!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    I don't smoke and never have. I've always been an anxious person with a lot of stress in my life, so maybe I can chime in. I guess it depends on the severity of your situation. There are always medications to help ease the anxiety if it's ongoing, but I try to do things without it if possible.

Try to remember to take care of yourself. If you have access to a pet, they are instant stress relievers! Take a nice warm bath, read a book, listen to soft music, whatever gives you comfort. Be in nature, walk, listen to the birds and breathe deeply. Try not to focus on the cause of the stress, but definitely get it dealt with, whatever it is so you can move on. My last resort is to sleep. Sleep and good nutrition is very important. Stay away from sugar at ALL costs. That really helps keep me level. Talk to a good friend so you don't bottle things up inside.

Just tricks I've learned over the years.

Thank you so much, this really does help a lot! Maybe a few more nature type walks would be a nice mix too.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Hit the gym hard. Until you are little more than a puddle of sweat on the floor.

Repeat, as necessary.

LOL... right now, I would be a puddle of something alright if I did that.... see page one LMAO!
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked but when I can`t exercise to get rid of stress, I just think about it.

I stop and use some logic about what I`m stressed about, why I`m stressed about it and if my friends were telling me these woes, what would I say to them to ease their minds?

I often jump straight to the worst outcome and when I stop and think about it, I'm worrying about things that aren't that serious or about things that are beyond my control.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Oh My goodness, you are doing a lot all at the same time, yeah, I would be stressed too. Congrats on all of your successes so far, you first of all are amazing and are doing incredible changes in your life to get healthier. Myself, I quit smoking in 2011 due to medical issues, I had no choice. I had to have something to replace this hand to mouth habit I had formed, I knew what did not work for me in the past, gum, walk, call a friend, etc. Remember, everyone has their own way that worked for them. But when it came to that habit I found the best solution for me was to buy those thin coffee stir sticks (the red ones) and I cut them in half, because they were very long and put a bunch of them in a baggy in my purse and when I felt stress, I would pull one of them out and chew on it. Everyone would ask me when are you going to stop with those sticks? My answer, when I want to and it may be never, but it worked for me. That moment of stress could happen anytime, I was prepared with my red cigarettes, so to speak. :)
    I have seen people use the just straws the same way, but it in half so it is not so long in your mouth. I found an old purse the other day and found a baggy of those red coffee stir sticks I cut up for myself. Good luck, you are doing fantastic! Never quit trying to quit, don't beat yourself up for feeling what you feel during this time. Feel free to message me anytime, It's not easy, but well worth it!

Ah yes, the hated hand to mouth habit (or disease as I call it) food, drink, smoke, ice whatever, can't sit still and just do NOTHING. Exactly! That's why I put this post up because the first week of chantix, I gained 10 lbs back of the 50 I had lost. I have managed to maintain my weight since then, but no more losing anything. It's been a true tug of war. coffee stir sticks may just be the ticket!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    We ***** about smokers! ;-0
  • Dorothy4208
    Dorothy4208 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I quit almost a year ago and mentally, it was very tough. Physically, I feel great! When I really feel the urge to smoke, the best thing for me is to crochet, preferably while listening to Dateline :laugh: . That way, I feel like both parts of my brain are occupied. Other than that, in the beginning, working out was the only way I could expend all that energy and be tired enough to sleep.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Focus on something that will exhaust you either mentally or physically. It needs to be something that you find rewarding so your anxiety/stress is replaced with a positive that you got from the activity you just performed/endured. Everyone is different.

For me? I hike or try to get active outside. My anxiety and stress is through the roof when I'm not physically active or mentally stimulated because I'm pent up and unable to handle the situation then usually turn destructive either towards myself, my surroundings, or others. Being away from everyone usually helps me avoid confrontation or being overwhelmed by trying to interact with others while under stressful conditions while trying to refocus... well, except I usually bring my dog because he is a good and silly company. Usually I'll hike, run, workout really hard outside, swim, or just anything that I can lose myself in that can exhaust me. Then when I return to the stressful situation I'm physically worked and more grounded so I'm able to think strategically and tackle whatever the stressor is.

A lot of people understand the physical aspect of de-stressing but people also need to exercise themselves mentally to help avoid getting lost in stressful situations. Some people are more mental than physical too. So if you have health issues maybe trying to stimulate your mind might help? For myself taking classes and having a forward moving goal along with difficult mental hurdles to tackle help me keep my head until I'm able to get out to physically de-stress.

Good luck! And congratulations on not smoking! You're learning new habits and learning how to deal with yourself on a different level. Through smoking you've taken the easy way out but now you're facing yourself on a different battlefield. Figure yourself out and don't loose patience because, even though it takes time, it will be worth it in the end!

Thank you! Trying to keep my eyes on the prize!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Non smokers don't have as much stress. Here is a theory that I read about that I completely agree with. It is one that ultimately helped me quit smoking after 15+ years and stay quit. I have been smoke free for 4.5 years now.

Let's say the normal stress level of a non smoker is at 25 out of 100. When they are in a stressful situation, there stress level goes up to a 45 or 50.

Now let's say the normal stress level of a smoker is at 25 out of 100, while smoking a cigarette. 10 minutes after you finish that cig, your stress level gradually goes up. By 30 minutes to an hour, your normal stress level could be up to 45 or 50 because your body and mind are stressing about having that next cigarette. Then add on top of that a stressful situation and now you are up to a level of 75 or 80.

So you smoke a cigarette to "relieve your stress". In actuality, the only stress you are relieving is the body and mind stress from the craving from the lack of cigarette. The added stress from the stressful situation is still at the same level as it would be if you were a non smoker.

The idea of smoking being a stress reliever is kind of deceiving. You are only relieving the stress that you are giving yourself by depriving yourself of smoking over and over again.

Does that make sense?

I learned that concept from a book called Allen Carr's Easyway to stop smoking. While this book didn't make me quit on it's own, it gave me some real solid help in my ultimate journey to quitting smoking. http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyway-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

I wouldn't have gotten that before, but going through this process, I do now! This will be so worth it in the end. Already it is worth it in how proud my boys are of me, knowing what a struggle it has been, to see me actually doing it, and to know how hard it is to quit resolves their opinion that they never want to start.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    1. Take a deep breath
    2. Count to 10, slowly
    3. Take stock to see if this has improved your outlook
    4. Throw the stress inducer out the nearest window, opening it beforehand if absolutely necessary (for instance, if you'd have to clean up the broken glass yourself).

Sixty percent of the time, it works all the time! :flowerforyou:
  • CandelLife
    Options
    I have never smoked but when I can`t exercise to get rid of stress, I just think about it.

I stop and use some logic about what I`m stressed about, why I`m stressed about it and if my friends were telling me these woes, what would I say to them to ease their minds?

I often jump straight to the worst outcome and when I stop and think about it, I'm worrying about things that aren't that serious or about things that are beyond my control.

Good idea... except right now I am being bombarded by someone else who is lacking money to buy their smokes and UNWILLINGLY going through nicotine withdrawals while being mad at me for trying to stay positive and optimistic. LOL! Just a nice little add on there.... just wow....