How Do Non-Smokers Handle Stress?

Options

Replies

• CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I quit almost a year ago and mentally, it was very tough. Physically, I feel great! When I really feel the urge to smoke, the best thing for me is to crochet, preferably while listening to Dateline :laugh: . That way, I feel like both parts of my brain are occupied. Other than that, in the beginning, working out was the only way I could expend all that energy and be tired enough to sleep.

Good plan! Gave me an image of my son coming in laughing at me that I could hand write a letter and watch a movie at the same time... LOL! He said "Whatever works mom..."
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!!! It is VERY tough to do. I started when I was 12, quit when I was 25, and have been smoke free for 17 years now.

Drink OJ (pure) to help with the headaches for the first while.

Keep telling yourself how much better off you are not smoking until you believe it.

Think about how icky / dumb smokers look: I imagine a cigarette to be a baby's soother (dummy). Picturing all these adults sucking on soothers is quite funny.

As for stress - create other small rituals. Remove yourself from the situation (even if just to the bathroom), breathe, imagine the stress leaving your body as you exhale. Make a tea, call a friend, or anything else to distract you.

Good Luck!!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    It's been a couple of years since I stopped smoking. Honestly I can't remember how long.
    When I would get stressed at work, I would get up and head outside and just take some 'me' time like I would have when I was a smoker.

I had a reward for quitting for 12 months that helped keep me motivated, but honestly after about 3 months the reward was just a bonus as pretty much all the urges were gone and I was enjoying being smoke free.

Don't get me wrong, if they could invent a cigarette that wasn't bad for your health I'd probably start up again, but I prefer my health over the habit now.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    1. Take a deep breath
    2. Count to 10, slowly
    3. Take stock to see if this has improved your outlook
    4. Throw the stress inducer out the nearest window, opening it beforehand if absolutely necessary (for instance, if you'd have to clean up the broken glass yourself).

Sixty percent of the time, it works all the time! :flowerforyou:

LMAO! Taking note... remember to open the window first....
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mibvu4v4iY1rykz4ao1_500.gif
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!!! It is VERY tough to do. I started when I was 12, quit when I was 25, and have been smoke free for 17 years now.

Drink OJ (pure) to help with the headaches for the first while.

Keep telling yourself how much better off you are not smoking until you believe it.

Think about how icky / dumb smokers look: I imagine a cigarette to be a baby's soother (dummy). Picturing all these adults sucking on soothers is quite funny.

As for stress - create other small rituals. Remove yourself from the situation (even if just to the bathroom), breathe, imagine the stress leaving your body as you exhale. Make a tea, call a friend, or anything else to distract you.

Good Luck!!

I didn't know that about the OJ, I drink it now to make sure my iron pills get absorbed into my system. Knowing it helps keep headaches away, I think I need a grove of orange trees in my yard! LOL! Loads of good advice here, thank you!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    trying to break so many habits at once is going to be tough! my mom smoked for 45 years though, and quit 15 months ago, and she has managed to keep abstaining (I am so proud of her)

at any rate, try to find a substitute like chewing gum, knitting, or something (focus on things that keep your mouth or hands busy)... now is a great time to take up a new hobby if you like crafts or something (I find sewing takes my mind off all my problems, totally zones me out)-- when you get the urge to smoke, go for a walk, or call a friend or jump on mfp and talk to someone

try out yoga, the concentration factors in yoga can really help you learn to cope with difficulties better

good luck, you can do it! keep telling yourself you can do it, don't be afraid to even say it out loud to yourself
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Oh My goodness, you are doing a lot all at the same time, yeah, I would be stressed too. Congrats on all of your successes so far, you first of all are amazing and are doing incredible changes in your life to get healthier. Myself, I quit smoking in 2011 due to medical issues, I had no choice. I had to have something to replace this hand to mouth habit I had formed, I knew what did not work for me in the past, gum, walk, call a friend, etc. Remember, everyone has their own way that worked for them. But when it came to that habit I found the best solution for me was to buy those thin coffee stir sticks (the red ones) and I cut them in half, because they were very long and put a bunch of them in a baggy in my purse and when I felt stress, I would pull one of them out and chew on it. Everyone would ask me when are you going to stop with those sticks? My answer, when I want to and it may be never, but it worked for me. That moment of stress could happen anytime, I was prepared with my red cigarettes, so to speak. :)
    I have seen people use the just straws the same way, but it in half so it is not so long in your mouth. I found an old purse the other day and found a baggy of those red coffee stir sticks I cut up for myself. Good luck, you are doing fantastic! Never quit trying to quit, don't beat yourself up for feeling what you feel during this time. Feel free to message me anytime, It's not easy, but well worth it!

Ah yes, the hated hand to mouth habit (or disease as I call it) food, drink, smoke, ice whatever, can't sit still and just do NOTHING. Exactly! That's why I put this post up because the first week of chantix, I gained 10 lbs back of the 50 I had lost. I have managed to maintain my weight since then, but no more losing anything. It's been a true tug of war. coffee stir sticks may just be the ticket!

If you need something to do with your hands take up knitting or crocheting, then you are putting your nervous energy towards something useful. :wink: Athough, they say knitting is supposed to be relaxing but I find it stresses me out sometimes! Start with easy things at first, like scarves. :laugh:
  • CandelLife
    Options
    It's been a couple of years since I stopped smoking. Honestly I can't remember how long.
    When I would get stressed at work, I would get up and head outside and just take some 'me' time like I would have when I was a smoker.

I had a reward for quitting for 12 months that helped keep me motivated, but honestly after about 3 months the reward was just a bonus as pretty much all the urges were gone and I was enjoying being smoke free.

Don't get me wrong, if they could invent a cigarette that wasn't bad for your health I'd probably start up again, but I prefer my health over the habit now.

I know what you mean, I found out I like breathing and also like not coughing all the time any more, sounding like I was hacking up a lung. It was awful, and is actually gone now!
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I work out...take deep breaths...listen to music...talk to a friend...have a cup of coffee...shop online...
  • _Moose51_
    Options
    Boxing, CrossFit, Head slamming into the nearest brick wall. Tequila!
  • CandelLife
    Options
    trying to break so many habits at once is going to be tough! my mom smoked for 45 years though, and quit 15 months ago, and she has managed to keep abstaining (I am so proud of her)

at any rate, try to find a substitute like chewing gum, knitting, or something (focus on things that keep your mouth or hands busy)... now is a great time to take up a new hobby if you like crafts or something (I find sewing takes my mind off all my problems, totally zones me out)-- when you get the urge to smoke, go for a walk, or call a friend or jump on mfp and talk to someone

try out yoga, the concentration factors in yoga can really help you learn to cope with difficulties better

good luck, you can do it! keep telling yourself you can do it, don't be afraid to even say it out loud to yourself

I do catch myself saying it out loud, unfortunately one of my boys seems to be within earshot when I do this and I get these strange looks.... LOL!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well I was a smoker,
    I would say,..
    BOOZE, lots of it.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Boxing, CrossFit, Head slamming into the nearest brick wall. Tequila!

All I heard was TEQUILA!
  • noemibp
    noemibp Posts: 167
    Options
    Running!
    Or doing Kickbox Fastfix.

Or both!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Back when I quit, someone made me something she called a "dammit doll" to beat up or poke with pins. If you go to Etsy and search 'dammit doll' you'll see lots of examples. I named her after my then boss, the "loathsome *kitten*." It helped.

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=dammit doll&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US
  • CandelLife
    Options
    well I was a smoker,
    I would say,..
    BOOZE, lots of it.

Damn! I heard someone say TEQUILA! again!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Gym
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    So glad you quit! I won't lie, it'll be weird for a while, but stay committed and you'll get through. Maybe try some yoga/deep breathing. I never smoked heavily and when I quit I only had maybe 8 years in so it was not so bad. My problem was when I went out for drinks, alcohol goes so well with a cigarette and the inhibitions go down. Sometimes I still want one with a bevvy but I remember how much better I feel since I quit.
    You can do it! One day you will wake up and not remember what it was like to smoke.