Cardio and Weights training split

Options
the_stained_ape
the_stained_ape Posts: 35 Member
edited August 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
Just looking for opinions from those more in the know than me.

I've reached my weighloss goals (71lb off) using a mixture of cardio and weight training. I've been through phases of just doing cardio, and through phases of just lifting weights, but I've never tried to incorporate them into a program together.

I should state that at the minute, I'm just looking to maintain my current weight and fitness level (10k - 52 minutes) while adding some weight training to my schedule. I may look to add a little size in the future, but for now just looking to add a solid base to work from.

How would you structure a schedule in terms of the cardio/weight split? I train 4 days a week if that's of any use.

I was thinking 50/50 but wondering if people with greater experience had anymore suggestions that would deliver greater benefit.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    What is your cardio of choice? That matters, mostly because of recovery issues.
  • the_stained_ape
    the_stained_ape Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Predominantly 30-45 minutes running. Hill sprints, intervals on an exercise bike

Max time 45 minutes. No marathons here.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week. In the summer I follow this schedule over 3 days: cardio, weights, kayaking. Cardio is TM running at various paces, etc for 45 min to 1 hour, occasionally elliptical for an hour; weights are circuits of 19 lifts (all muscle groups), 10 reps each, 3 minute rest between circuits, for 1 to 1.5 hours; kayaking journeys last 3 - 3.5 hours (10 miles on the Susquehanna River) including fishing. In the winter I alternate between the circuits and the TM with occasional days on the elliptical or rower. Been following this schedule for years and it keeps me in pretty good shape. So to answer your question I think you'll be happy following a 50/50 split.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Predominantly 30-45 minutes running. Hill sprints, intervals on an exercise bike

Max time 45 minutes. No marathons here.

Actually, it's intensity that I'd be most concerned about from a recovery standpoint, and it sounds like you have some in there. That, and cardio on the strength-y-er side (not so much an issue here, maybe - depends a little on how your bike intervals are structured, like whether high cadence or high resistance).