Going out for Mexican food on Saturday night! Help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My family loves Mexican and we're regulars at the local Mexican resturant to the point that the staff knows us and tries to celebrate our birthday's each time we go in. We try to tell them it's not anyone's birthday but they still try.

Anyway I usually just try to eat better earlier in the day, try and limit my chips, and try not to order anything too fried. I like the steak quesadilla, or tamales and I avoid the beans. Usually I still have rice because it's my favorite. I generally just enjoy the food and the people I'm with. I know that there are healthier options, but I want to enjoy my life and I figure once in a while isn't a huge issue, it's making it a habit.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I always get fish tacos or shrimp fajitas w/corn tortillas. You can ask them to go light on the oil and they turn out great!

I do enjoy a bit of guacamole, sour cream, and cheese because it's a splurge.

If I'm committed I count out 12 chips and have that with salsa.

Enjoy your margarita!

And what some others suggested, eat a lighter breakfast & lunch, and make sure you workout, and get plenty of water.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    No tortillas!

Eat some shrimp, or maybe some mariscos.

Why no tortillas ? Unless they are flour tortillas....then I agree.

I eat 3-5 corn tortillas ( 50-55 calories each ) daily as my only starchy carbs and have lost 35 pounds in just over 4 month. Corn tortillas are very healthy, low cal and full of minerals. Flour trortillas are just the opposite...lol.
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Here are some options I go with if I want to be careful. Sometimes I just want what I want.

Fajitas - without the tortillas
    Caldo - chicken or beef
    Taco salad - limit cheese and sour cream
    charro beans instead of refried beans.
    Carne asada is also a good option
    Calabaza con pollo is a good one too, if you are at an authentic restaurant. (Roughly translates to "squash with chicken") It has lots of veggies and very little starches
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Make some room in your numbers for it earlier in the day and get what you like!

That said, I ALWAYS order fajitas. It's pretty funny actually...every time I go in there's always a few lifters in there and they all have plates of fajitas in front of them with a pile of unopened tortillas down at the end of the table. :)
  • marcon125
    Options
    Edit: To those people saying they have fajitas with no tortillas, that's not a fajita, it's steak/chicken and vegetables. Call it what it really is. Either way, I call it sad.
    [/quote]

Technically - fajitas are a particular cut of beef - usually left over for the 'vaqueros" after the land owners got the cuts they wanted. Tortillas or no tortillas
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    When I go I get the chicken fajitas, I skip the rice and beans and ask for a side salad or I get the taco salad with chicken or fish and skip the taco bowl, just have them put it on a plate, maybe ask for black beans on the side if your place offers those like mine does instead of the refried beans.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much a given that you'll be blowing whatever your calorie and other targets are, so accept that and enjoy the company and make whatever few smart choices you can so you don't feel totally out of control. Use the prior and following days to average it out for the week and it'll be fine in the big picture.

I find that since I've cut back so much, that I really can't eat that much in volume in a sitting anymore anyway. That alone really restricts my entree calories and I don't have to be too overly picky about what I choose other than throttling way back on chips, bread, appetizers, drinks, and dessert.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I would say if the restaurant does the all you can eat chips and salsa, put a handful of chips on a napkin and push the bowl away. For your entrée- fajitas without the tortillas OR order off of the a la carte menu- I do that a lot. I have had WLS, so I can't eat much at a time- I order a single beef enchilada and it's perfect for me. You could get two small items.
    OR, if you really want to order a full dinner, box up 1/2 of it and make 2 meals out of it!
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    So I have dinner plans with friends on Saturday night and we're going to an authentic Mexican restaurant. I'm trying to plan ahead and calculate the calories of various dishes so I can make a decent decision. I've been sticking to my nutrition plan very closely for almost a month and have only strayed twice and each time it was for a brownie. I'd like to indulge a little because I LOVE, love, love Mexican food, but yet I also don't want to completely overdo it. I also plan to have a margarita on the rocks.

Any suggestions on what I should get? I like anything Mexican, other than dishes that contain shrimp. Thanks all!

Hey guys, these are all great suggestions. I'm going to step up my exercise in the morning so I can have a few more calories to spare. I'll probably go with the chicken or steak fajitas and limit myself to 2 tortillas and request no sour cream. I got to have my guacamole though! I really appreciate all the encouraging words and great advice! I'm just trying to put a little more thought into my nutrition these days so this gives me ample time to think about what choices I'm going to make. I also find it easier to stay on track if you plan ahead. Although, seeing how I've done so well lately, I think I will splurge a tad bid and I'm going to really enjoy that margarita!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I got to have my guacamole though!

Don't EVER skip guac. :) It's really good for you!
  • marcon125
    Options
    Edit: To those people saying they have fajitas with no tortillas, that's not a fajita, it's steak/chicken and vegetables. Call it what it really is. Either way, I call it sad.

Technically - fajitas are a particular cut of beef - usually left over for the 'vaqueros" after the land owners got the cuts they wanted. Tortillas or no tortillas

We're not talking the dictionary or wiki research here.

Brb.....going to mexico to ask for a fajita with no tortilla. Lol.
    [/quote]

Lol! No worries! It used to crack me up when I heard the phrase "chicken fajitas". Chickens don't have fajitas. Technically speaking. :laugh:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Now I am craving Mexican food!

I'd opt for grilled meats, chicken, beef. Lots of veggies! No refried beans. I'd stay away from the chips, but then chips aren't my thing anyway. Margarita? Why yes! maybe 2?

Before an outing, I try to eat a light breakfast, light lunch, and workout some time before I go. Then the day after, I weigh myself, it's usually water weight from all of the salt in restaurant food, and then work out hard the next week. The extra pound is gone in no time.

Listen, even if you go over your daily cals by a couple of thousand, as long as you are not eating like that every day, it's not going to hurt you.
  • marcon125
    Options

We're not talking the dictionary or wiki research here.

Brb.....going to mexico to ask for a fajita with no tortilla. Lol.

Lol! No worries! It used to crack me up when I heard the phrase "chicken fajitas". Chickens don't have fajitas. Technically speaking. :laugh:

Damn you Texas!!! Not easy having a fajita battle with you when you used to be Mexico. Well played.
    [/quote]

*bows* You're welcome! :tongue: