"Lose up to 17 pounds in 7 days" Hmmm...

Options
Is that even possible? Is it healthy? Tell me what you guys think after reading this article! Would YOU do it?

http://voices.yahoo.com/weight-loss-tips-lose-10-17-pounds-seven-223761.html

Replies

• nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't even need to read the article to know that's not healthy. More than 2lbs a week is generally not healthy in most cases.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    that's practically a liquid/starvation diet to lose water weight in a week...
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    Well, do you think you can have a 59,500 calorie deficit in 7 days? You need to burn 3,500 calories to lose a pound.

There is no such thing as a "fat burning soup."

Eat healthy, workout, sleep well. That's all there is to it :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Soup, Soup and more soup! What this article fails to mention is that it is a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet). It's a TERRIBLE idea. Unless you're being monitored by a doctor, don't even think about following something like this.

It's a very old article too, btw. I'm sure there's been numerous studies on the Sacred Heart Diet since then. At the time of that article, it was all the rage - because it was a fad.
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Soup, Soup and more soup! What this article fails to mention is that it is a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet). It's a TERRIBLE idea. Unless you're being monitored by a doctor, don't even think about following something like this.

It's a very old article too, btw. I'm sure there's been numerous studies on the Sacred Heart Diet since then. At the time of that article, it was all the rage - because it was a fad.

I agree. I think it is very unhealthy and didn't think to look at the date this was written. I don't like VLCD's because I feel like they are too short term and fails in the long run. It's just interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on something like this.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's tripe, in my not-at-all-expert opinion.

You might lose that much water weight on this diet, but the minute you start eating regular food, the weight will come right back.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Nope. Wouldn't do it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible. In fact, it's highly likely.

It's the *up to* part that people gloss over, but that is what makes the sentence true. If you lose nothing, their claim is still correct.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Seems legit.

Okay, sarcasm aside. No. This is NOT healthy, it's NOT a good idea.
  • Ladydrake12
    Ladydrake12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The only reason you should lose that much weight that quickly is if you just had a baby...otherwise it is probably not healthy and/or maintainable.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I click only on those adds so that I can read the hilarious comments on the products.

"I lost 100 pounds in 10 days by using the vacuum diet!" Okay, that isn't real....but you get the idea.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif

This...

This is why we are friends!!!

This and the beard. The beard should have it's own MFP page!!!
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    The only reason you should lose that much weight that quickly is if you just had a baby...otherwise it is probably not healthy and/or maintainable.

Or a large tumor removed.

Friend of a friend did something similar, starting raving about all the weight she lost in two weeks. Went back to eating normal, weight back up and depressed. It's called yo-yo for a reason. If there was a magic pill, soup, drink, sex move, machine, etc out there that transformed fat to skinny in a week or two and actually worked, we'd all look like supermodels. :laugh:
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely possible. In fact, it's highly likely.

It's the *up to* part that people gloss over, but that is what makes the sentence true. If you lose nothing, their claim is still correct.

You are absolutely right about the claim.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif

This...

love.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif

This...

+1
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    B069Ujo.gif
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    WHATEVER you take off in an UNHEALTHY way will return once you go back to "normal" eating. You need to modify your life and your meals to fit your weight loss, and forget the EASY methods. Besides--if it were THAT easy every wealthy BIG BUTT out there would have bought it all up and the price would sky rocket!!! There is NO easy pill
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Sure it's possible - through amputation.