Whey Cool!

Options
MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
For those of you who make cheese or yogurt at home, what do you do with the whey by-product? Anyone ever made caramel?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I was reading on a cheese someone mentioned on another thread where you can make a caramel flavored cheese with it. That goes on my “to try” list, as does homemade ricotta, which you can somehow use the whey for. .

I use whey in lieu of water for pizza crust and yeast breads.

Whey in lieu of milk or water in pancakes makes them rise light and fluffy for the first few minutes. Add the whey last, and cook batter immediately, otherwise will deflate quickly if you let the batter rest. Adding a pinch of baking soda and/or baking powder causes it to rise even higher in pancakes.

Whey in cake mixes 👍🏻

Whey in scones 👎🏻 but then again maybe I was trying to many calorie saving techniques at once and can’t blame the whey.

Haven’t tried it in a smoothie, but many recommend.

In many cultures, people drink straight whey as a “refreshing” drink. I haven’t tried it. The slightly soapy texture and color put me off.

Next time my husband does a “No whey!” joke at me, it could also make an excellent weapon, if in its sturdy mason jar. He thinks it’s riotously funny every. single. time.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    That goes on my “to try” list, as does homemade ricotta, which you can somehow use the whey for. .

I use whey in lieu of water for pizza crust and yeast breads...
    '

Thanks! Ricotta is on my 'to try' list as well - along with pizza crust and naan bread. Can't wait to try it in pancakes, but I am weeks (and weight) away from that calorie splurge.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    That goes on my “to try” list, as does homemade ricotta, which you can somehow use the whey for. .

I use whey in lieu of water for pizza crust and yeast breads...
    '

Thanks! Ricotta is on my 'to try' list as well - along with pizza crust and naan bread. Can't wait to try it in pancakes, but I am weeks (and weight) away from that calorie splurge.

Pancakes don’t have to be a calorie splurge. I use a mix of cake mix and bisquick, but use a ton of egg whites, liquid whey, Naked plain whey powder and cottage cheese, too, to make them very high protein and very filling. Then I top them with Greek cream cheese and sugar free chocolate syrup. More like dessert than breakfast. They have a texture between pancakes and crepes.

My full recipe consistently makes 60 medium sized pancakes (4-5” acrost) at 1442 calories for the entire batch. I eat 12 at a time, which is 288 calories, and supplement with bacon and a bowl of cottage cheese on “heavy” workout days.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I don’t know whether you caught my update on the other thread about my attempt to make Gjetost (the caramel flavoured cheese) from my left over Skyr whey?

Total disaster…it produced a sticky vinegar tasting mess rather than a fudgy brown cheese. I’m wondering if I waited too long to use they whey, I did read that the longer you wait to use the fresh whey the more acidic it becomes. I drained my Skyr after it set up overnight, then didn’t try to make the cheese until the following day, in the afternoon. 🤷‍♀️

If I do the Skyr again I plan to use the whey to make bread, I think. That really appeals to me and I’ve been making an Icelandic Fennel Bread recently that I think will work well, considering the lineage of Skyr!
  • MsCzar
    Options
    Tried making walnut pancakes with whey this morning. They had a less appealing color than usual, but were very fluffy with no added sharp whey taste. Winner!