Are GMOs Safe?

Options
124»

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    "genetically modified" is a scary term for people who don't science. For the rest of us it's "meh".
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    "genetically modified" is a scary term for people who don't science. For the rest of us it's "meh".

QFT. As a scientist, these threads make me so

tumblr_m5p6imZVsY1qzuqe9.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am sure that Monsanto paid those people who did so called 'research' off. :)

So any study or opinion that goes against your studies and opinions are automatically not trustworthy because it MUST mean someone got paid off? Ummm.....tin foil hat on.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Worry more about Monsanto.... they are far more dangerous than any GMO on its own!

Didn't take long for the tinfoil hats to come out

Actually, I'm going to agree with this. GMOs aren't dangerous, but Monsanto are kind of ****s.
    Kind of?

I wasn't referring to their sneaking GMOs into countries that have banned them.

I was referring to their proposal to trademark fruit and veg seeds so that they can sue anyone who sells them. They listed thousands of everyday crops. They were not previously protected as no-one had ever considered it - not specially grown ones, just those that have been around, generically. Monsanto have done nothing for the varieties, just sold them, like everyone else.

So no tinfoil hat here. Just a GYOer who is utterly Td off with big business tactics!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    We don't know if they're safe or not. They haven't been proven to be dangerous, but they haven't been proven to be safe, either. There are many substances that were one thought to be safe and were later found to be dangerous, after a bunch of people died or became ill from exposure or ingestion.

Whether GMOs are safe or not will be discovered at some point. Until then, the consumer should be informed if the food they're putting in their bodies contain GMOs.

Monsanto is not to be trusted, in my opinion.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/change_big_picture/10460786

Agreed!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    love my GMO tomatoes - that fish gene they added to make them keep longer sure adds an interesting flavor. GMOs are not healthy and I do not eat anything that is not organic, grass fed or cage free.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh.

kimkbored_zps1da038c1.gif

*continues eating homemade organic non-gmo chicken bacon ranch pizza balls*
  • peggymdellinger
    peggymdellinger Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't know... there are plenty of studies that point either way, and in all cases there are not enough independent studies on the long-term use of GMO's by humans and any possible side effects. Yes, I saw the huge list of studies already cited (here's an article with sources that point the other way... http://www.aaemonline.org/gmopost.html) BUT it's only been about 17 years that we've had a high percentage of our crops being genetically engineered (NOT hybridization) and 17 years is not a significant enough time period in which to assess outcomes. It's a good bit less than a generation. A good majority of current research is industry funded... take that as you will, but I tend to feel that those supplying the money often get the results that they're looking for. So, the answer is... we're really not sure. Despite industry funded research pointing to the safety of genetically engineered crops there has still not been enough time to assess outcomes in humans.

I DO eat genetically engineered food at times. I do, however, buy local much of the time and organic when it's on sale. The vast majority of the meat that I buy (including eggs and milk) are from local, free-range sources. I'm sticking with the "can't hurt, might help" mantra until we can assess long-term outcomes and until more independent, human-based research is conducted.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    love my GMO tomatoes - that fish gene they added to make them keep longer sure adds an interesting flavor. GMOs are not healthy and I do not eat anything that is not organic, grass fed or cage free.

These were never commercialized. There are no GMO tomatoes on the market right now that I know of. Bull****.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't mind having GMO foods labelled. My issue is the actual labelling. Give me more than just a sticker with "GMO Food" on it. Tell me WHAT the modification was so I can make an informed decision. Sweet potatoes that will grow in a shorter season or in a less hospitable climate and contain more vitamins that will help people in countries with food shortages don't sound like a bad thing to me.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Each type of product needs to be evaluated.

For example one can not simply say that because "Pharmaceutical A" has been studied and is safe, that
    all Pharmaceuticals are safe.

-Just because it is safe to take Cinnamon does not mean it is safe to take St. John's Wort.
    -Just because injecting short acting insulin is safe, does not mean that inhaled insulin is safe.

And Just because GMO corn is safe does not mean that completely UN-related GMO tomato is safe etc.

When a new type of product is created, that product much be evaluated, studied, and continuously monitored.

Pharmaceutical, Biological, Herbal, or GMO.

From Your friendly pharmacist.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Each type of product needs to be evaluated.

For example one can not simply say that because "Pharmaceutical A" has been studied and is safe, that
    all Pharmaceuticals are safe.

-Just because it is safe to take Cinnamon does not mean it is safe to take St. John's Wort.
    -Just because injecting short acting insulin is safe, does not mean that inhaled insulin is safe.

And Just because GMO corn is safe does not mean that completely UN-related GMO tomato is safe etc.

When a new type of product is created, that product much be evaluated, studied, and continuously monitored.

Pharmaceutical, Biological, Herbal, or GMO.

From Your friendly pharmacist.

Logical, rational statements are completely ignored here....because 'they science'. :laugh:
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    no one knows. end of story.

I agree with this.

Also agreed, but would like them at least labeled so I could choose if I wanted to eat them or not.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options

QFT. As a scientist, these threads make me so

tumblr_m5p6imZVsY1qzuqe9.gif
    reposted out of necessity ;)
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    A Monsanto official told the New York Times that the corporation should not have to take responsibility for the safety of its food products. "Monsanto should not have to vouchsafe the safety of biotech food," said Phil Angell, Monsanto's director of corporate communications. "Our interest is in selling as much of it as possible. Assuring its safety is the FDA's job."

It would be nice to think the FDA can be trusted with these matters, but think again.

Prior to being the Supreme Court Judge who put GW Bush in office,Clarence Thomas was Monsanto's lawyer.

The U.S. Secretary of Agriculture (Anne Veneman) was on the Board of Directors of Monsanto's Calgene Corporation.
    The Secretary of Defense (Donald Rumsfeld) was on the Board of Directors of Monsanto's Searle pharmaceuticals.

The U.S. Secretary of Health, Tommy Thompson, received $50,000 in donations from Monsanto during his winning campaign for Wisconsin's governor.

The two congressmen receiving the most donations from Monsanto during the last election were Larry Combest (Chairman of the House Agricultural Committee) and Attorney General John Ashcroft. (Source: Dairy Education Board)

Yeah, I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy about Monsanto being the savior of crops for poor countries.

Just label the damn food and let people decide for themselves.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Worry more about Monsanto.... they are far more dangerous than any GMO on its own!

Didn't take long for the tinfoil hats to come out

Actually, I'm going to agree with this. GMOs aren't dangerous, but Monsanto are kind of ****s.

Yup, I'm going with this one to. Scientifically I don't think there's anything wrong with consumption of GMO's. Environmentally the effects are potentially too far reaching for us to be able to make remotely accurate predictions, but there are some reasons to be concerned. Economically and societally (is that a word?) Monsanto are a**hats.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    My opinion I have no opinion I eat what I want and the rest be damned lol