Problem with binging

Options
2»

Replies

• knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to emphasize the suggestion that @Chef_Barbell made regarding finding a professional to help keep perspective on what is normal. I’m lucky my family hasn’t put too much pressure on me regarding appearance and weight, but there are definitely other things in my family of origin that weren’t normal or healthy and I benefited so much from having a therapist who could listen to me and validate that. Therapy has been one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself, and if it’s available for you through your school, I’d jump on the opportunity to talk through some of this. Hugs, and good luck!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Another vote for therapy. You are worth so much more than your height and weight. If you try for this "ideal" you will literally waste years of your life on something that is attainable at much too high a price. Live for you. Some of the people who have answered you have been here for years and are talking to you as loving aunties and grannies. Listen to them. They truly care and want to help.

Good for you for reaching out for help. And by getting help now, you'll save yourself so much heartache and money because if you don't get it now, you'll definitely need it later. It can be tough disappointing our parents, but really and truly, the only person we need to worry about disappointing is ourselves.

Hugs to you :heart:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    You're an adult now. Maybe go see a doctor about your heart problems.

Do you REALLY wanna model? The successful ones survive on cigarettes and cocaine. Are you prepared for that?

^^^^^^actual tough love

Yea I realized lol, and like I said it was my dream to model when I was younger but now I just feel all the pressure from my mom to do it. She said it would bring great "pride" to our family and especially my Chinese relatives and they are already expecting me to do it because I'm tall but I also inherited my white dad's big bone structure is what they didn't realize lol

Oh lawd... this is toxic as hell... I would be cutting my narcissistic mom off and going low or no contact. FFS.. my husband is Chinese and I cannot stand the cultural brainwashing that comes from that. 🙄

Yea, thanks. My mom literally told me I would be "wasting my height" if I wasn't super skinny and that I should be lucky because not many women have chances to be models. I don't know if I can cut her off because she is helping partially with my college tuition but I have a lot of childhood trauma from my Chinese side of the family...a story for another day.

Cutting her off may be premature at this point. Do get therapy at school and ask for help setting healthy boundaries. Ideally, you will learn how to lovingly but assertively let your mom know that the modeling topic is a no-go and off limits for discussion.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Poor OP is gone... I hope she gets the help she needs.