Any supplements, etc. reccomended to help with intense muscle soreness (DOMS)?

Options
tiffany5839
tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
edited September 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been working out for about 4 years now and I mostly do strength exercises with some cardio thrown in and lots of stretching/mobility stuff but I have always been a person to easily get sore from working out and have the worst delayed onset muscle soreness ever! It's been a thing my whole life and I feel like it would affect me much worse than my peers doing the same things as me. Anyway, it's really been bothering me lately extra bad to where my workouts are a struggle and I already take rest days, get enough sleep, eat a high protein diet and def eat more than enough so what gives? My friends all work out with me and do not get sore like this!

Is it just me feeling my age now of 40 or what or is something wrong with me? I feel like I'm having to foam roll and soak in salt baths all the time and stretch and my muscles feel like I never worked out in my life and it's ridiculous! I need to know what can help me with this horrible soreness all the time. I can take a week off but that's even worse cause then I'm REALLY sore like I'm new again to exercise when I come back! I can only take so many rest days to where I'm resting more than working out and I still have a good 10-15 lbs I want to lose. I've kept 70 lbs off and maintained for the last 2 years. I have friends older than me lifting heavier and they are nowhere near hurting like I am. I don't get it!
Tagged:

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and potassium have helped me with DOMS
  • tiffany5839
    Options
    I actually do take magnesium every day because of my migraines since it's supposed to help with that. I cannot take excess potassium though because I'm on a potassium-sparing drug and actually need to have that checked every 6 months to make sure it's not too high.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I actually do take magnesium every day because of my migraines since it's supposed to help with that. I cannot take excess potassium though because I'm on a potassium-sparing drug and actually need to have that checked every 6 months to make sure it's not too high.

Sometimes people just get sore and that's the way it is... foam rolling and yoga
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the need for Creatine, but a supplement that a lot of folks don't know about is D-Ribose. I learned about it when my wife had Fibromyalgia (since mostly recovered). Women with Fibro don't recover well from exercise. They stay sore for days longer than most. D-Ribose is a cheap supplement that assists with recover.

Make sure you're drinking enough water as well. Being consistent also helps. You mentioned taking a week off or so. I seldom take a week or so off just because the DOMS that will occur. If I take two weeks off, I'll be super sore.

You could also look into a percussion massager (in addition to the foam roller mentioned). Foam rollers never really helped me that much, but percussion massagers to. I've bought my son the stronger ones (that are like a power drill -- there are many of them now -- Therasage is one). I own a PureWave Massager. Fantastic for both recovery and for my wife, so she can work out the knots that Fibromyalgia can cause at times. It's got a soft ball on the end, so if you accidentally hit bone, it doesn't hurt. It's wonderful for night time cramps from exercise.
  • tiffany5839
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I don't feel the need for Creatine, but a supplement that a lot of folks don't know about is D-Ribose. I learned about it when my wife had Fibromyalgia (since mostly recovered). Women with Fibro don't recover well from exercise. They stay sore for days longer than most. D-Ribose is a cheap supplement that assists with recover.

Make sure you're drinking enough water as well. Being consistent also helps. You mentioned taking a week off or so. I seldom take a week or so off just because the DOMS that will occur. If I take two weeks off, I'll be super sore.

You could also look into a percussion massager (in addition to the foam roller mentioned). Foam rollers never really helped me that much, but percussion massagers to. I've bought my son the stronger ones (that are like a power drill -- there are many of them now -- Therasage is one). I own a PureWave Massager. Fantastic for both recovery and for my wife, so she can work out the knots that Fibromyalgia can cause at times. It's got a soft ball on the end, so if you accidentally hit bone, it doesn't hurt. It's wonderful for night time cramps from exercise.

I appreciate your response. i actually had mentioned to my doctor about wanting to have tests done to make sure I didn't have any underlying conditions like Fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis or something. She ended up just testing things like iron, cholesterol, and thyroid 9which were all normal) and said we could look at that late, although I don't know what tests you even get done to determine that. I will look into D-Ribose. I do have a massage gun with a soft foam ball that moves up and down at different speeds for muscle soreness. Not sure if that's the same thing as a percussion massager.

I only tried creatine because I've seen so maybe fitness people recommend it so figure what's the harm in it. I should mention I am extremely consistent with my workouts. People said to try taking breaks thinking maybe I overwork myself but as you said, that just makes me sorer when i come back. Also I definitely do not skimp on water! I drink tons and tons!
  • tiffany5839
    Options

I forgot to ask, what is a good dosage to take of the D-ribose every day?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

I appreciate your response. i actually had mentioned to my doctor about wanting to have tests done to make sure I didn't have any underlying conditions like Fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis or something. She ended up just testing things like iron, cholesterol, and thyroid 9which were all normal) and said we could look at that late, although I don't know what tests you even get done to determine that. I will look into D-Ribose. I do have a massage gun with a soft foam ball that moves up and down at different speeds for muscle soreness. Not sure if that's the same thing as a percussion massager.

I only tried creatine because I've seen so maybe fitness people recommend it so figure what's the harm in it. I should mention I am extremely consistent with my workouts. People said to try taking breaks thinking maybe I overwork myself but as you said, that just makes me sorer when i come back. Also I definitely do not skimp on water! I drink tons and tons!

Usually the best indicator (from what we learned from our Functional doc) was when your Cortisol level is in the basement. Adrenal fatigue is very closely tied to Fibro, and in my honest opinion, exaggerated in women with menopausal changes. You overproduce Cortisol for a long time and then, it just drops rapidly. When that happened, she could barely get out of bed.

My wife's Cortisol levels (when she was at her worst) were ridiculously low. If yours were, it should have showed up in a Thyroid panel. But that's how you mostly check it. Once the doc addressed that with supplements, a thyroid prescription, diet/behavior modification, she got well.