750 calories a day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    there is a staggering amount of misinformation and bro science in this thread. There is some sanity here, too... but finding it amongst the crap is tough. I think the funniest one was saying that the doctors were on "an agenda" because their advice din't match the bro science. lol.

Do what any normal person does - go seek a second opinion. Not from the MFP boards, from a qualified medical professional. And a third, if you still aren't comfortable. This is your health we're talking about here.

I agree with you completely. There's so much information available for free at the click of a mouse and yet…

VLCD's and LCD's have been around for decades. They're not for everyone and, as the OP has experienced, they're "administered" by medical personnel.

Lindora, a company here in SoCal, has been doing an LCD diet since 1971 and their results are truly eye opening (the before and after pictures that I saw in my fiancée's clinic were the one of the final "nudges" that I needed to start losing weight). They don't accept a fair number of folks because some people are too unhealthy to use that diet (that's a heartbreaker 'cause some of those folks are actually dying from being overweight). That is offset by the success stories - an 84 year old grandmother who was on portable oxygen when she started. 20 weeks later she had lost 84 pounds.

Some folks are skeptical about the approach, understandably, so your advice to that folks seek a second opinion is 100% solid.
  • Lunchabox
    Lunchabox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Glad someone else understands this not a whole lot of people get that.
  • CarKiller2013
    CarKiller2013 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've done the medical weight loss clinic thing. I have a TON of weight to lose and wanted to see results fast. They gave me Phentermine and put me on a 1200 cal/day diet. It worked like a charm! I lost 50 lbs FAST! But I also felt like crap. All. The. Time. I had all the "normal" side effects, and when I couldn't take them anymore, I quit. And gained all the weight back....plus some.

Would I do it again? No. I'd rather lose weight slowly and be happy instead of being a thin, shakey, sweaty, moody mess of a woman.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Of course you will lose weight eating barely anything but I cant imagine you are getting the nutrients that you need. Also, can you imagine only eating that much for the rest of your life?? Eventually you won't be able to eat more than that without gaining weight...I dont know about you but I love to eat so anything I can do to maximize my calorie needs I'm going to do (ie. exercise)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    "gained all the weight back" is just another way of saying that you gained a bunch of weight. It's not the same weight you lost when on the diet... you're just wording it in such a way to place blame on the diet instead of yourself.

I'm not trying to single you out or say anything bad about you. Many, many of us have done the exact same thing (myself included). Realizing that it's /my/ fault, not the diet's, or the gym's or the (whatever)'s fault is what I think will keep me on track this time. Falling back into old, unhealthy habits is what makes people "gain back" weight, plain and simple.

There is a reason that people who are successful with maintaining their weight loss call it a "lifestyle change". If I lose 120 lbs, great! But if I then start eating entire Large Domino's Meat Lovers Pizzas again, I'm going to gain weight. Instead, I have decided to take some personal responsibility. There is no easy way out, it takes a desire to be fit and healthy, and stay that way. I'm in, are you? Let's do this thing.
  • Bercath
    Bercath Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories to maintain its basic function without you actually doing any kind of movement so when you are taking in so few its no wonder you are feeling lousy, I'm surprised you had the energy to type your post.
    750 is not maintainable weight loss programme so get off it before it makes you seriously ill just eat healthy, exercise and rest well and you should be feeling better soon oh and don't forget to laugh several times a day, it keeps you young :)
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    "gained all the weight back" is just another way of saying that you gained a bunch of weight. It's not the same weight you lost when on the diet... you're just wording it in such a way to place blame on the diet instead of yourself.

I'm not trying to single you out or say anything bad about you. Many, many of us have done the exact same thing (myself included). Realizing that it's /my/ fault, not the diet's, or the gym's or the (whatever)'s fault is what I think will keep me on track this time. Falling back into old, unhealthy habits is what makes people "gain back" weight, plain and simple.

There is a reason that people who are successful with maintaining their weight loss call it a "lifestyle change". If I lose 120 lbs, great! But if I then start eating entire Large Domino's Meat Lovers Pizzas again, I'm going to gain weight. Instead, I have decided to take some personal responsibility. There is no easy way out, it takes a desire to be fit and healthy, and stay that way. I'm in, are you? Let's do this thing.

Tends to be a bit of a "chicken and the egg" scenario though.

Of course, the only real way to get this done is with personal responsibility and lifestyle change.

That said, the grey area where most of these types of medically supervised diets do need to share some of the culpability is that they do not teach folks how to eat properly once you have hit your goal weight and then transition into real life. Unless you plan to stay on that plan for eternity than 9 times out of 10 that lost weight ends up returning.

Does that mean that those of us of us who have been there and done that are not equally responsible for this re-gain? Certainly not.

I am glad, however, to have finally smartened up to realize that there is no black magic or special diet that will get this done for me. Just the simple math of a reasonable caloric deficit coupled with more movement and dedication to being patient and consistent with this lifestyle change over time.

That's what I'm doing this time in and, no surprise, it's working.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think we're mostly on the same page. I would counter that the lack of teaching is only part of the problem. If the person in question gained 50 lbs, did the first 5 or 10 not tip him off that something is amiss with his eating plan? ;)