does jogging bulk up legs?

Options
13»

Replies

• mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    yes your legs will look like this from running.

woman_with_very_muscular_legs_zpsceae30cd.jpg
  • melybelyc
    Options
    No it doesn't. It takes a lot of weight training to bulk up. A LOT of weight training, especially for women!
    :happy:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, there could be some outliers, but in general, jogging does not increase leg size in any significant way.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bulking and cutting is all diet.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Lets say, hypothetically, the answer was yes. Would you honestly stop doing something you seem to enjoy and is great for your health because your legs might appear more muscular?

If yes well then...yeah

If no then who the hell cares.

Chelle's got it right.
  • bazzawood30
    bazzawood30 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Tone not bulk,
  • MadisonHein
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's feedback :)

xx

Madison
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nope, no worries there! Running actually is awesome for toning (as you have already noted) but not good if you are wanting to bulk/build muscle.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The only thing it will do is increase muscle tone in your legs (which will make them look thinner) and cause you to burn more calories since you're moving.
  • MadisonHein
    Options
    oh ok thanks x)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for decades and my legs are strong, toned and awesome - they are NOT "bulky" at all. I lift weights, too. Still not bulky. :laugh:
  • MadisonHein
    Options
    No, and if you want to consider running high mileage, 1200-1500 calories is no where near enough.

I'm in marathon training now, and have to consume something like 2700 calories a day to keep my energy and pacing up.

Ahh I physically don't feel comfortable eating more though! Like I've tried consuming 1700, I just end up feeling bloated and really full for some reason :/