Arm size

Options
Brjohnson6
Brjohnson6 Posts: 6 Member
Hello
I’m new here and want to say hello
My goal here is to gain roughly 30 pounds or so, always struggled gaining weight. One of my main goals is increasing my arm size. Currently my relaxed arm is 10.25 inches. I think my goal would be maybe 12 or 13, not sure. I guess I would like some input from others if this sounds reasonable l0sdp3vmq8ku.jpeg

Replies

• TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It is very reasonable, If you lift weights and practice progressive overload, stay consistent, eat in a caloric surplus and rest when your body tells you to. When I say you must stay consistent, it is exactly that. You can’t lift for a week and then take two weeks off and then maybe hit it a couple times then see you in a month. You will never get anywhere that way. I have been lifting pretty consistently for a year now and I still have a ways to go to get where I want to be. It takes a long time and that’s where people fail. They want a magic potion to transform them while they watch tv. It doesn’t exist. It’s hard work and dedication and hours and hours and hours lifting. You have to really like it or you won’t do it, just like anything else in life.

I’m not in any saying that you personally want a magic solution and aren’t willing to put in the work. I also won’t b.s. you. It takes time, but if you put in the work, you will get results. I wish you well on your journey.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above:
    • Eat at 10% above maintenance.
    • Target close to 1g per pound bodyweight protein (you're already lean, otherwise I'd say use lean body mass).
    • Progressive lifting, track your progress. Don't focus on the arms. Do full body work first, compound lifts for legs, back and chest, and do a few accessory exercises afterwards for the arms.

Starting Strength is often recommended:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I read one professional bodybuilder who said something to the effect of:

"If you have time/energy to do curls, you have time/energy to do more rows/pullups."

Basically, don't even bother with isolation moves for the arms, instead focus the bulk of your time/effort on large, multi-joint movements: pullups, rows, even deadlifts hit the arms in addition to their "primary" muscles worked. Think about it...your muscles will respond more strongly when using heavier weights. Which movement involves heavier weights...a single-arm curl, or pulling your entire bodyweight up in a pullup?

That said, curls CAN have a place as a finishing move, but here's the thing to remember: most people who want bigger arms think only about their biceps, but the triceps make up more than half (in some cases almost two-thirds) of the upper arm mass. So if you want to throw in curls at the end of back day, make sure you do something for triceps at the end of chest day as well. (Some advanced lifters dedicate an entire day to just arms, but I don't suggest that for beginners.)