SAHMs 7/26 - 8/1

Options
2»

Replies

• staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    wow trish--you are so ambitious (in a good way!)

and thanks to you both for thinking the dog walking is good idea. i can't commit to a shelter at this point, but as a neighborhood volunteer, that seems doable. what kind of cute dog is that in the picture, nicole??

part of what motivates me, too, is this GREAT book I read called The Generosity Plan. It's abt thinking more intentionally about our giving--of time, treasure and talent. How to maximize our "but i'm just one person" impact.
    i realize animal welfare is a recurring area for me, and this is one way to do something for animals that could also fit in with my life.

random question---NOT JUDGInG. just getting ideas
    ---if you tithe 10% to your church, do you also give financially to any other causes?
    ---if you tithe less than 10% to church, do you count other $ donations toward your total giving?
    --do you quantify non-$ giving as part of your tithing/philanthropy?
    Partly i'm asking cuz i'm setting our giving goals--as a % of take home pay. We pay synagogue DUES (cuz that's how it works for Jews--partly cuz you can't handle money on the sabbath so the pass the plate tradition wouldn't work). but that is required for membership. so do DUES count towards my total %?
    what are your thoughts? would you? it feels like cheating--the dues are not 10% of our income--but would perhaps put us at our total % giving goals each month.

would welcome your opinions on the matter.

well--i did it! i sampled 1 small cookie from the teacher gifts i am making (yep, kids still in school) and tonight ate applesauce and raisins for my night snack! drank my water and ate fruits/veges.

first time in a LONG time that i kept to a plan. feels good :bigsmile:

and, trish, sorry that grace is feeling so poorly. it's so hard to listen to them suffering--even if they are jumping on the furniture! hope she starts feeling better soon.

'night ladies. see you on the flipside!
  • princessleia1980
    princessleia1980 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

random question---NOT JUDGInG. just getting ideas
    ---if you tithe 10% to your church, do you also give financially to any other causes?
    ---if you tithe less than 10% to church, do you count other $ donations toward your total giving?
    --do you quantify non-$ giving as part of your tithing/philanthropy?
    Partly i'm asking cuz i'm setting our giving goals--as a % of take home pay. We pay synagogue DUES (cuz that's how it works for Jews--partly cuz you can't handle money on the sabbath so the pass the plate tradition wouldn't work). but that is required for membership. so do DUES count towards my total %?
    what are your thoughts? would you? it feels like cheating--the dues are not 10% of our income--but would perhaps put us at our total % giving goals each month.

would welcome your opinions on the matter.

I have had these discussions many times with many different people and come out with many different answers! We give less than 10% to the Church because its a very rich church and although they support charities and use the money well, we don't have a direct say in where it goes. So we sponsor 2 children and give to some other charities and I try to make sure that the whole amount adds up to 10%.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    We give 10% to our church every paycheck, since it's a test of obedience in our faith. It's not really our money anyway. The Big Man Upstairs made sure we have money to pay the bills in the first place ;)

Now if we were better off (debt free, settled into a home for the next 30 years), I would probably encourage hubby to donate to good causes. But at the moment, we just pay tithing, since that's what we can afford.

by the way new topic here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/110180-sahms-8-2-8-8