people crapping all over my plans

Options
Right now I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting and having good results.

I made the mistake of starting to tell people about my experiences.

There seem to be so many people ready to jump all over it with their negativity about all the reasons why it's bad, why it won't work blah blah blah.

It's so predictable, it's almost comical.

What to do with these people? Do I need to invest in a rubber mallet or what? :yawn:

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. I told some co-workers that I'm going to be skipping breakfast for my intermittent fasting.

The most common comments are things like, "You're going to go into starvation mode.", "Breakfast kick starts your metabolism.", "Skipping dinner is better because your body doesn't burn calories in your sleep." etc etc.

Just prove them wrong with your results. That's the only way they'll even consider what you have to say. But I know the feeling. It's this helpless feeling, knowing that whatever you say right now means nothing.

Don't let any of it get to you though.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    That stinks. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'm at the point where I don't talk about fitness or health with many people. I hear criticisms on what I eat, what type of exercise I do.... and you know what? Frequently, it's from people who aren't in good shape. Weird. (Example - a family member berated me for drinking diet soda while visiting on vacation. Chemicals and all that. She proceeded to eat an entire key lime pie by herself in a day. As long as it's not artificial, amirite?)

I think people get waaaay too hung up on doing things "their way", especially when it comes to eating.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'd just not bring it up again. My boyfriend supports me and I don't talk about weight loss to friends, because I got sick of girls who are bigger than me telling me I don't need to lose weight. I am just barely in overweight bmi, so there is room for some loss and it's not the haters' business. Just because others are more overweight doesn't mean it's a crime to try and lose.

bottom line: if you're seeing results, eating enough each day and you feel good about it, screw them. Turn the haters into fuel for your fire and PROVE THEM WRONG. Success is the best revenge.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'd just not bring it up again. My boyfriend supports me and I don't talk about weight loss to friends, because I got sick of girls who are bigger than me telling me I don't need to lose weight. I am just barely in overweight bmi, so there is room for some loss and it's not the haters' business. Just because others are more overweight doesn't mean it's a crime to try and lose.

bottom line: if you're seeing results, eating enough each day and you feel good about it, screw them. Turn the haters into fuel for your fire and PROVE THEM WRONG. Success is the best revenge.

It's funny isn't it? That the worst offenders are the ones that "read it on the internet" and never practised.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't generally talk about it, because I don't want people to feel like they have the right to comment on what I'm doing. Besides, you can't argue with results.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're getting negative feedback, but people are allowed to have opinions, you know? My dad tells me all the time that running is bad and even when he met me at the finish line of my first marathon (still alive), he wanted to talk about how we'd all just taken years off our lives by training for this thing. Bottom line, the guy loves me, we disagree, I don't take it personally.
  • doubleohstatus
    Options
    Right now I'm experimenting with intermittent fasting and having good results.

I made the mistake of starting to tell people about my experiences.

There seem to be so many people ready to jump all over it with their negativity about all the reasons why it's bad, why it won't work blah blah blah.

Yeah! Agree, intermittent fast works wonders for fat loss. Coupled with a caloric deficit and some exercise its a recipe for success! Instead of telling people that I skip breakfast, i just break down the word for them: BREAK - FAST lmao :D Hoping that they get it.
  • Companero1
    Companero1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time, especially the skipping breakfast. The latest one I got was "It's dangerous to miss breakfast" When I asked why they said it just is and everyone knows it. When I tell them I never felt better they go on to say, but you're risking your long term health. Everyone's an expert and none of them look particularly slim and healthy.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Can you use the rubber mallet in these forums? Sooooooooooo many times it needs to be used with great force.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just laugh in their face and keep doing what you're doing. I got a little weird advice at the beginning but after losing a substantial amount of weight, you can pretty much just shut them up with your results.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time, especially the skipping breakfast. The latest one I got was "It's dangerous to miss breakfast" When I asked why they said it just is and everyone knows it. When I tell them I never felt better they go on to say, but you're risking your long term health. Everyone's an expert and none of them look particularly slim and healthy.

LOL, yeah, if you're going to take advice, at least make sure the advice-giver looks healthy. :laugh:
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just laugh in their face and keep doing what you're doing. I got a little weird advice at the beginning but after losing a substantial amount of weight, you can pretty much just shut them up with your results.

Good advice. My evil plan is to keep it quiet for now then after I lose alot of weight, let them come and ask how I did it. :devil:
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm JUDDDing. One day of fasting with around 500 calories and the next day eat what you want within reason. Nobody seems to get it, so screw them. Its working
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    couple of things

1) stop telling people your plans. Anything fitness related should be kept to your MFP friends. Just a personal experience where even the people who you'd think would support you unconditionally would just use that against you.

2) Stop caring what others think. If you live your life trying to make others happy, you will never be happy yourself. Just keep doing your thing. There will always be somebody who will say crap about you.

3) HULK SMASH!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It could be worse, you could be qualified and people still feel the need to tell what's healthy and how to workout.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Good advice. My evil plan is to keep it quiet for now then after I lose alot of weight, let them come and ask how I did it. :devil:

Great idea. It's funny, really. The people who used oft-repeated myths will suddenly be asking you how you did it. I can pretty much guarantee it. I get a lot of questions at my place of employment now. It makes me smile.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Muwhahahahaa!!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing. Ignore them, thank them for their concern and go about your business. The more you act like this is normal and acceptable, the less they have reason to question it.

Honestly, who cares what other people think? This isn't high school, for Pete's sake.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do IF too. It works for me with my weird night shift schedule. I haven't told people what I do unless they ask. In fact, I don't even bring up my weight loss, or that I am working on it unless they ask first.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The first rule of any diet and exercise program is that you don't discuss your diet and exercise program with people from whom you do not want advice.