people crapping all over my plans

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The first rule of any diet and exercise program is that you don't discuss your diet and exercise program with people from whom you do not want advice.

This.

Don't give people an opportunity to advise you.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Never tell people about your weight loss plans. When you've lost enough weight that they notice, they'll come to you and ask how you did it. Then tell them, "I'm watching my diet and trying to be more active." At that point, they'll leave you alone because what they really wanted you to say was, "My doctor gave me these pills. I take one a day, eat whatever I want, and the weight just falls off."
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The first rule of any diet and exercise program is that you don't discuss your diet and exercise program with people from whom you do not want advice.

This.

Don't give people an opportunity to advise you.

QFT. When something is working and you feel good, it can be very tempting to tell the world, but if you don't want to hear opposition to your eating, don't talk to people about it. You can't control their opinions and reactions, and it's just as likely that they will shoot you down as congratulate you.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have no problem telling people of my method. When they disagree that's fine too, as long as they are civil about it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just reply with: would you take financial advice from a tramp?

handbag.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have no problem telling people of my method. When they disagree that's fine too, as long as they are civil about it.

I'll tell them if they ask, but I try not to volunteer the information.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Exactly. It's one thing to respond when asked, but if you start the convo, you're just asking for people to object.
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just tell VERY few people about my fitness goals. And the people who are critical I disregard.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Probably best just getting on with it rather than talking about it if your friends aren't behind you. If it works for you long term then I'm sure they'll be more prepared to listen. If it doesn't then nothing lost - just try something new!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Exactly. It's one thing to respond when asked, but if you start the convo, you're just asking for people to object.

It depends on who is asking.

If it is the same old suspects, and there are one or two, then I absolutely will not discuss it. There's only so many times I can get advice from someone who has been overweight his/her entire life and yet knows everything there is to know about weight loss and fitness and wants to "tweak" my program.

I'd rather discuss politics at that point.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It never stops! I've lost 109 pounds in just over 10 months (didn't discover this website until half-way through) and I still get people at work advising me on my diet!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's funny isn't it.....I wonder if people have the guts to tell a Muslim to their face that they're going to be putting themselves into starvation mode/messing up their metabolism/starving their brain/causing their muscles to eat themselves when they fast during daylight hours for Ramadan. Somehow I'm thinking....NOT :ohwell:
  • FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If other people's comments bother me, it's usually because there's a grain of truth in what they're saying or I'm insecure about the particular issue. If I am confident in what I'm doing, then others' comments don't bother me.
  • tarap003
    tarap003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, my new rule is "what goes on in MFP stays in MFP!"

It's hard enough trying to work out what actually works for you without other people telling you you're doing it wrong. I'm experimenting too with intermittent fasting and zig zagging the daily calorie intake and it seems to be working for me.

If you do have these conversations just remember to tell them this

1) if your daily intake is about right and you are eating well then it doesn't matter what meal you skip and when you skip it
    2) intermittent fasting has been shown to help some peoples metabolism and improve results in weight loss without causing any damage. Blimey some cultures even have it ingrained into their daily lives so its not a bad thing!
    3) Ask them to analyse how many calories they're taking in a day and the quality of their own diets and I bet they'd be surprised at how much damage they're doing to themselves, compared to you eating well and missing a few meals in order to get healthy!

Don't let the meanies get you down!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    we all make the mistake of "announcing" our fitness and weightloss efforts. ..and on cue...most everyone you tell will do something to keep you from achieving your goals.

we all need to keep our mouths shut...just not when it comes to food..but announcing the world our weightloss plans. people just can't help but to trip you up.. human nature.
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    What to do with these people? Do I need to invest in a rubber mallet or what? :yawn:

I've never tried intermittent fasting, but I've read from what I consider
    very reliable sources that it has all sorts of benefits besides just weight loss.

Just ignore the criticisms, or for overweight people who criticize you, you
    might look them eye, then look up and down at their body, raise an eyebrow,
    smile, and walk away.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Just prove them wrong with your results.

Exactly.

That said, you have to pay attention to your body and make sure IF really works for you. If it does, ignore them and do what works FOR YOU
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think one of my friends here said it well - she tells people "my body, my rules"!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Personally I kind of enjoy conflict so I am of no advice here...

"So how did you lose all the weight? Surgery... Lap band ?"

No just diet exercise and I use the spike method

"Oh is spike some sort of drug?"

Yes, you see I go find a really fast runner and I spike them with my soccer cleat and then run as fast as I can... Its worked wonders...
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm staying in the diet closet. I did come out the closet to a coworker who I trust and thought he was also "in the closet." Hey, didn't I see you in the closet? LOL Anyway, I'm naturally an introvert so I really hate people up in my business anyway. We both agreed not to be in each other's koolaid about it and I know I have at least one supporter at work.

I've been nearly outed a couple times - but just brushed off the glances with a reason that satisfied them. The fact I recently adjusted my calories up quite a lot to give myself a break has also eliminated it. It was a decision for myself though, not them - I was at a breaking point with things and it was my best decision. I didn't share that either with them. I'm sure there would have been a lot of "you have to want it enough" or "push through you can do it" fluff. I needed a tangible change - I found it.

I also have done this while watching many coworkers doing Plexus (while I didn't even though there was some mild peer pressure) and another (thank goodness - draws focus of others to herself) is celebrating a rather large weight loss. She can have the attention and all the tips she can get from the others.

I hate to be scrutinized about what I choose to eat. If they know, they think they have a right or a DUTY to comment or give advice. No thanks. I'll seek advice here when I need it. And that's worked out very well thank you very much. My life is not their business.