Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is it really all that bad to be slighly underweight?

Options
70sthin
70sthin Posts: 29 Member
My doctor had told me that she wanted me to gain weight, which I did a few years ago and I haven't felt all that good about it since doing so. I was only 8 lbs underweight. I gained 15lbs and don't feel like exercising as much. I don't have as much energy as I did when I was lighter. I know that body image and eating disorder problems can happen when one tries to attain a thin figure, but I did like the way I looked 15lbs ago. I honestly don't think I looked too thin when I was slightly underweight. I'm short, so 15lbs looks really big on me.

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    I always think about my grandmother, who was underweight her whole life.

It didn't cause a problem until she got sick. An illness caused her to lose even more weight, she got dangerously low, and it greatly complicated her illness.

Since then, I always thought it's a good idea to not be close to the edge of an unhealthy weight. Not that everyone is thinking about the possibility of serious illness, but I think it's a good idea to have a little bit of "padding" just in case.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,369 Member
    Options
    I always think about my grandmother, who was underweight her whole life.

It didn't cause a problem until she got sick. An illness caused her to lose even more weight, she got dangerously low, and it greatly complicated her illness.

Since then, I always thought it's a good idea to not be close to the edge of an unhealthy weight. Not that everyone is thinking about the possibility of serious illness, but I think it's a good idea to have a little bit of "padding" just in case.

That's exactly the worry that is always in the back of my mind, you may need a reservoir to draw upon. More so since my dad allowed himself to become extremely inactive, what little muscle he had evaporated and he ended up in chronic care for 5.5 months just to regain a minimum level of function. Mind you, he's done nothing to build anything beyond that minimum level in the past three years.

On the other hand, during the appendix debacle I managed to beat peritonitis quite well despite a fairly substantial drop in weight and appalling nutrition for the first week.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    I think OP needs to answer the question posted upthread; 8lb underweight from what??

If it is from mid range BMI - probably fine.

If it is 8 lb under the lower limit of BMI - very unlikely - especially if OP is a shorter younger female.

Yes Ive heard the argument that older people can be better off carrying a LITTLE bit of extra padding - but I dont think that applies to OP, my guess is she is not in the over 75 age group
  • 70sthin
    70sthin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feed back. A healthy weight according to my doctor and the BMI calculator she used is something like a range of 98-132lbs for a 5'1" tall female I weighed 90lbs when she said I should gain weight. I weigh 105lbs now and felt better at 90lbs. I'm almost middle age (39) and had my weight ranges from 90-100lbs most of my adult life. I start feeling heavy and lethargic around 100lbs. Yes, I should be building muscle at this age and that was a very good suggestion. I have had little energy to exercise at all lately.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    It's quite simple: no, it's not a big deal to be underweight if you are optimally healthy and maintaining that weight while eating plenty of nutritious food, exercising, and easily maintaining good strength and muscle mass. Especially if you are taller.

But in those cases, it's highly unlikely a doctor would bother telling you to gain weight.

My sister is quite underweight, but with her tall height and extremely slender bone structure, it's quite self-evident that that's a healthy weight for her. She doesn't even look underweight, she has a normal amount of belly fat, she's just built extremely narrow with super long narrow limbs.

It doesn't sound like this is you. So I would just listen to your doctor and focus on your health. Get to a state of being optimally, unquestionably healthy and then assess if your body can handle being that lean.

If I were you, I would really put my focus on building muscle.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    No one would bat an eyelid if someone was 8 lbs overweight, I don't understand why being 8 lbs underweight is a big deal. Everyone's different.

The two are not the same.

8 pounds overweight is incredibly common, and honestly it’s perfectly normal. Science is showing that being slightly overweight is not unhealthy.

8 pounds underweight is very abnormal and a sign that something is wrong.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    No one would bat an eyelid if someone was 8 lbs overweight, I don't understand why being 8 lbs underweight is a big deal. Everyone's different.

If OP's doctor was saying she's underweight, that's different than someone just not hitting some abstract metric. (Sure, doctors can be wrong, but . . . .)

There's some research suggesting that being somewhat clinically underweight is statistically associated with higher mortality rates than is being somewhat clinically overweight, even when study conditions control for depleting illnesses (cancer and whatnot), i.e., the studies have measures to exclude people who are thin because they're already en route to mortality. OP or you or I aren't statistics, so yes, individuals differ, and individual health is what counts (as Xellercin points out) . . . but again, this is OP's doctor telling her to gain weight.

OP, I'm inclined to agree with others saying that working on increasing muscle mass would be a route to weighing more, but feeling/looking better. It's not that you have to pursue a bodybuilder look if you don't like that, but there's quite a range of positive non-bodybuilder body composition considered attractive in most of the developed-world culture that's likely to put person above a riskily underweight zone.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »

The two are not the same.

8 pounds overweight is incredibly common, and honestly it’s perfectly normal. Science is showing that being slightly overweight is not unhealthy.

8 pounds underweight is very abnormal and a sign that something is wrong.

Being overweight has definitely been normalised in developed countries, but that doesn't mean it's inherently better than being a little underweight.

While it's true that having a few spare pounds can be useful in case of a serious illness, that also has to be balanced against the increased risk of heart disease and diabetes.

Some people just have very narrow frames and look and feel better a low BMI - which itself isn't an infallible metric.
    There is something to be said for that. As a Belgian, I have learned quite a bit about BMI, which I still learned as the "Quételet Index" for Adolphe Quételet who created the index to study populations. Despite its simplicity, it is surprisingly good for that, even now.

However, I find that using it on a personal level is essentially a perversion. It was never meant for that, and despite studies that have shown is not all that bad, I balk when I hear people who swear by it and people who revile it. I also giggle seeing that people almost only look at the upper limit, not the lower one, and then complain that some "athlete" is considered obese even though he or she is not. Let's be honest here: you really don't have to study medicine to see that the younger Arnold Schwarzenegger was not obese. Anyone who insists he was, just of because of the BMI is an idiot. Also, how many of those athletes do we really have? I don't see very many of them when I go out.

In addition, why not also look at the other side: an obese person who had her/his legs amputated and who, as a consequence, is now in the normal range despite being obese?

Furthermore, on the level of an individual patient, BMI is needlessly complicated. Just look at a weight chart. Unless something really tragic happens to you, your height will stay the same for most of your adult life. Calculating the BMI is a waste of time and energy.

I also noticed that MFP is going to retire it BMI calculator. I don't know why, the message did not say that, but it just might be a good idea.

• benchstep
    benchstep Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and weigh 100 lbs. I have more energy now than I have had in years when I was overweight. I think you have to go by how you feel. I exercise daily and eat plenty of healthy foods.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    benchstep wrote: »
    I am 5'2" and weigh 100 lbs. I have more energy now than I have had in years when I was overweight. I think you have to go by how you feel. I exercise daily and eat plenty of healthy foods.

well, you are only just under the BMI range - adding just 1lb puts you within but at bottom of range.

not quite the same scenario as OP who is 8lb under the lower limit

• paperpudding
    Options
    Let's be honest here: you really don't have to study medicine to see that the younger Arnold Schwarzenegger was not obese. Anyone who insists he was, just of because of the BMI is an idiot. Also, how many of those athletes do we really have? I don't see very many of them when I go out.

In addition, why not also look at the other side: an obese person who had her/his legs amputated and who, as a consequence, is now in the normal range despite being obese?

Furthermore, on the level of an individual patient, BMI is needlessly complicated. Just look at a weight chart. Unless something really tragic happens to you, your height will stay the same for most of your adult life. Calculating the BMI is a waste of time and energy.

Seriously??? :*

of course elite body builders and amputees are outliers - nobody here is disputing that at all. :*

and just looking at a weight chart without height is meaningless - obviously what is a healthy weight range for somebody 6 ft 10 in is not the same as somebody 4 ft 10 in even though both are within normal adult height range. :*