How do you take your creatine?

Options
I just started taking creatine recently & I've just been mixing 5 grams in with a cup of water but it doesn't seem to dissolve. I have to constantly stir it while drinking it in order to get it all. I was wondering if there's any easier way to take it?

Not to mention it tastes awful, haha but I don't want to mix it with juice or anything cause I quit drinking that stuff months ago.

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition tablets. Nothing to mix.
  • RBurnham90
    RBurnham90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I literally scoop 5 grams, dump the powder in my mouth and chase it with water. Otherwise you can use warm water if you want it to mix better
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Don't take it. Why are you taking it?
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll try the thing where you chase it with water until this stuff runs out then I'm definitely going to look into those tables! That sounds way better.

Also, probably a really dumb question but do you take it EVERY day or just the days that you're strength training?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Same way every one does, right?...
    ORrNCES.gif
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I take two tablets training days (total of 2.5 grams) plus I get 2 grams in my pwo. On days I don't train, I take 4 tablets.
  • RBurnham90
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll try the thing where you chase it with water until this stuff runs out then I'm definitely going to look into those tables! That sounds way better.

Also, probably a really dumb question but do you take it EVERY day or just the days that you're strength training?

you take it every day. The timing doesn't matter at all and you don't have to cycle off it either
  • BrittanyMegan88
    Options
    Why not? I'm taking it so I can go harder cause I suck at pushing through when it's burning.. answering that made me feel like a wimp, haha.

Why do you say not to though? I did a legs & butt workout the other day & noticed way better results with it.
  • RBurnham90
    Options

Why wouldn't you take it? Creatine is proven to work and is just about as dangerous as drinking protein powder.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You could lower the dose to 3g, spread it throughout the day, sprinkling 1g over food.
  • BrittanyMegan88
    Options
    You could lower the dose to 3g, spread it throughout the day, sprinkling 1g over food.
    Ohh, that's a really good idea! I'll try mixing it in yogurt! :bigsmile:
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I literally scoop 5 grams, dump the powder in my mouth and chase it with water. Otherwise you can use warm water if you want it to mix better

^^this

or a really small amount of water, fast and quick stir & a quick drink

think 151 flaming shot
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Why wouldn't you take it? Creatine is proven to work and is just about as dangerous as drinking protein powder.

There are some established side effects. Basically it lets you "push through" hard workouts, but it also can lead to overstressing muscles and injury because of that. So, I would just advise caution.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

There are some established side effects. Basically it lets you "push through" hard workouts, but it also can lead to overstressing muscles and injury because of that. So, I would just advise caution.

That's weird, because the JISSN positional stance says the opposite.
    What are your sources?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That is ....very unusual advice. If an "established side effect" is being able to perform better, then sign me up!

To the OP, I have a tub of powder and I discovered the same thing as you. I try to mix it with my preworkout and just swirl and chug before it can fall out of solution. Mixing with protein powder is probably a good option if you use protein supplements. I ended up buying capsules as well for my off-days so I just take a couple caps with my normal supplements (fish oil, multivitamin, etc). Works for me.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Mix it with a warm, but not boiling drink. It will dissolve fully.

I usually put it in some tea, just let it cool a bit from boiling before you add it, as although it won't denature in a warm drink, some literature suggests above boiling point can cause it to denature.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Usually just put it in my morning shake. Otherwise OJ or water and just ignore the grittiness
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    At first, I was taking it with water too but it was nasty...I considered buying capsules, but then I found that, per serving, it was more expensive (and if you saw my supplements 'corner', i've got to keep costs down wherever I can) so I decided to try 5g of creapure in my post-workout shake and, although it slightly alters the taste of the shake, it's not enough to make it unpleasant.

ETA: If anyone's ever tried taking DAA (D Aspartic Acid) before, now THAT stuff is horrible. I've tried it in a shake, in water, in juice...but no joy!
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This. I'm taking Universal Creapure, it has no taste and doesn't dissolve in anything.

And to the person who said "don't take it" -- actually creatine is one of a very few supplements confirmed as working. You could same well tell an endurance athlete "don't drink coffee, cause it can make you run faster/farther"... Um, isn't that the point?