Having major surgery Nov 3 - please send thoughts of healing @ 12:30 PM EST!

Options
124»

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    You’ve reminded me of the ‘test’ I had to pass before they let me go home…(other than the bowel opening thing, which I fibbed about…)

I had to show that I could walk up a flight of stairs in the hospital and back down again. Wasn’t an issue at all but I do remember being a bit nonplussed by the requirement 🤷‍♀️
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 - any update?!? How are you doing?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I had the largest bowel movement of my life yesterday. What a relief! It had been 5 days and I am usually an at least once per day person.

They'd been giving me Miralax in the hospital. When I got home I switched to vitamin C. I take this to bowel tolerance, which for me is normally 3 grams. I took an extra gram yesterday. I have a scale that goes to 1/10 of grams that I use for this. Too much can have...unpleasant...results.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Sounds like an awful lot of drama, sorry you had to manage all that. I find bad communication to be the norm rather than the exception with any healthcare thing, unfortunately. Good vent, :lol:

I hope you don't have to take oxy for two weeks and that most of them get thrown out.

::SoftTeddyBearForYou::

and

:flowerforyou:
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Thanks CM!

The issue with the non pain meds: my boyfriend called me after he'd gone to the pharmacy and said that there were 6 prescriptions, not the two we'd expected. I wished he'd called me before he picked them all up, but oh well.

I had plenty of Tylenol and ibuprofen and told the nurse I didn't need any, but got bottles of these despite that.

I manage constipation by taking vitamin C to bowel tolerance, so did not need or want the two different laxatives I got.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Whew! So glad you are progressing well, but what a headache.

Disjointed. That is how my MD stepdad describes healthcare today. It's like no one talks to anyone in their own office, to their own staff, much less others within their own hospital system. It is a lot to overcome for people who are not at their best (isn't that pretty much anyone who is hospitalized?). Even with effective patient advocates, care is still disjointed, and stupidly so. And also wasteful (as in BF picking up Rx you didn't want). Thank you for sharing your insights. It's a *kitten* up system. Best wishes for continued healing ahead!
  • CrawfordBayNicola
    Options
    Hoping you're healing up well. I also had a surgery with a vertical abdominal incision, and it's not an easy thing. All the Best!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    If you are feeling cold (anemia) I suggest a heating pad or better yet, an electric blanket, to keep over you whilst couch surfing Netflix/Hallmark. It helps.

oh, and you should really feel the energy kick in about the 3-mo post recovery date.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    With the pathology report I finally got the weight of my uterus and fibroids – 11 pounds!

I’ve been expecting water retention from the surgery and for all that weight to not show up on the scales, and it didn’t, but close.
    That is quite a bit. You must feel "empty" in some way?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    kshama, it sounds like you're making progress at a good rate. I'm happy to hear it. :flowerforyou:
  • kshama2001
    Options
    With the pathology report I finally got the weight of my uterus and fibroids – 11 pounds!

I’ve been expecting water retention from the surgery and for all that weight to not show up on the scales, and it didn’t, but close.

I do feel empty above my belly button. I think I’m still swollen in my lower abdomen. High waisted pants feel looser; Lower waisted pants do not.

• kshama2001
    Options
    If you are feeling cold (anemia) I suggest a heating pad or better yet, an electric blanket, to keep over you whilst couch surfing Netflix/Hallmark. It helps.

oh, and you should really feel the energy kick in about the 3-mo post recovery date.

My years-long issues with anemia should now be over! I do use a heating pad to help with lower back pain. But I am never cold. In fact, I just got a referral to an endocrinologist because I am always hot. (Never hot FLASHES, just extraordinarily hot.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,483 Member
    Options
    I’ve been out of pocket for a few weeks and missed all this. So sorry you had to cope with this but so happy for the great results. Here’s to a very short recovery!!!!! 😘
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

My years-long issues with anemia should now be over! I do use a heating pad to help with lower back pain. But I am never cold. In fact, I just got a referral to an endocrinologist because I am always hot. (Never hot FLASHES, just extraordinarily hot.)

I hope you update us on this because I'm curious about your results since I'm in the same boat. Although I do have hot flashes as well as overall heat intolerance.

And, yes, my anemia vanished along with my uterus.

Glad your recovery is going well!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options

I do feel empty above my belly button. I think I’m still swollen in my lower abdomen. High waisted pants feel looser; Lower waisted pants do not.
    Good signs!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Hey @kshama2001 Sorry for not spotting this earlier and sending you healing thoughts! Glad to hear about the good outcome though I felt like kicking something while reading about your prescription complications! Here's to enjoying the 11lb loss and to continued healing and improvement!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I was feeling pretty good while in bed, but the 10 step walk to the bathroom was more taxing than the 3 mile hike I did earlier in the week!

I am wearing my Fitbit for giggles.

That was yesterday morning. My afternoon walk to the bathroom much much better. In the evening, I did a few laps around the hallway. Unfortunately, my Fitbit only captured the first 20 steps of yesterday.

I’ve been itchy and my doctor thinks it’s due to the medication in my epidural. I stopped pressing the button last night. I’ve asked if it can be removed, and they will talk to the anesthesia team about that. If my pain is well controlled after that, and I start urinating on my own, I will go home tomorrow.

For whatever reason, I woke up this AM thinking about how itchy I'd been in the hospital and thought I'd expand on this. The epidural itching was all over and didn't respond to Benadryl or Sarna lotion. I just endured until it was over.

I also developed a rash that the doctor said was in the exact contour of the soap they'd used right before surgery. I think the Sarna helped with that, but it also had artificial fragrance, so it wasn't a great option for me.

When the doctor asked if I tended to have sensitivities, my partner and I both laughed, as the answer is definitely Yes.

She said I might also be reacting to the johnnie or linens, even though they are laundered in fragrance-free detergent. As soon as the catheter was removed, I switched to my own pajamas.