New Avocado find

Options
Aldi has Lilcados which are single serving small avocados that are only 88 calories. I often cut up a bigger avocado and trying to watch calories only eat part of it that sometimes goes to waste unless my husband eats the rest of it. These are perfect. They have a website https://lilcados.com with recipes.

Replies

• Rebecca11122
    Rebecca11122 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    I like avocado's and love a good quac but haven't bought any or served them in my restaurant for the last 5 years. Hopefully someone somewhere regulates the production and gets a handle on the environment issues because I'd like to start using them again and the sooner the better. cheers
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Looking at that link the company actually state their small size avocado are 160 calories not the 88 calories you suggest.

Either way I’d be weighing the flesh so it wouldn’t make a difference, but anyone who deals in ‘half’, ‘whole’, ‘ one fruit’ etc might need to be aware if they eat them regularly.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Also, tiny fruit and veg is not really better for the environment. They still need nearly the same amount of water, pesticides and all that stuff. It's just a waste of food. And if they have packaging they the amount of packaging material is not half that of a normal avocado but more than half. If you must then buy a normal sized one, eat half, put the other half in a glass of water until the next day.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I just sprinkle the cut flesh with lime or lemon and pop into a reusable bag. Keeps for 3-4 days without oxidising and going brown.

They say that leaving the stone in the unused half also stops the flesh from deteriorating but I’ve not really seen that working as well as the citrus juice method .