INTERMITTENT FASTING MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD

Options

Replies

• sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're happy and it's working so well for you. Your progress has been amazing and inspirational.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just started a few days ago, 16:8 anyways. So far so good.

FANTASTIC!!!!
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    We have gradually moved to a 16:8 IF naturally over the last 90 days. It fits our life, our long sleep schedules, etc. We did a LOT of reading, watching, research and we’re compelled to do a beginners 49 hour fast last week. Not for weight loss but other health related benefits. WOW! Felt fabulous in and now after the fast. We were doing butter coffee and coconut oil tea with soy sauce and the water with lemon or apple cider vinegar. So I guess that is called a dirty fast? I’m anxious to try the 72 hour fast for the immune system reset, stem cell therapy, full autophagy effects. I have also done a 48 hour protein sparing modified fast (~800 calories/day of lean protein and veg only with water). Actually felt better on a full fast. We are discussing doing a 24 hour once per week.

I recommend everyone consult their medical team, do the research IN DEPTH, be smart. There is some incredible scientific findings (particularly with cancer and cancer treatments) that are very exciting but fasting can be dangerous and can lead to damage and death. That said, there is very little risk of death for a healthy adult from a 16 hour period each day that is not for feeding.

You're doing great! I tried a 72 hour fast once and got so sick so I don't even attempt anything over 24 hours now, but you're right. The health benefits are amazing. Keep up the good work!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    @BarbMessimer,
    ’Old people look sickly if they're too skinny... lol’

I hope you just misspoke here as this is not an absolute, more your opinion.

Achieving a 100 lbs final weight loss and a BMI of ~27 is great for you, it really is.

However, it would mean I would have to gain 40 lbs to have that same BMI. Something I am not planning on doing over the next 6 years (our age difference).

I maintain a BMI of 19 and have for the past 13 years, I feel I am well proportioned and reasonably muscled for my age, not too skinny or sickly looking, to me. Others are allowed their opinion.
    Me at 65 left and last birthday right, next birthday will be my 70th. (The dress is know as my birthday dress, hence the repeat of it)
    w63r3xvs0he9.jpeg

A person’s weight is predicated on their comfort level in conjunction with dr consultation, calorie needs
    (some find that weight has to be adjusted up so calorie compliance is easier to manage), and preferred image.

Just wanted to clarify this as not all older people need to aim for the ‘overweight’ (you) category, or the bottom of the ‘normal’ (me) category. It is a personal (caveats above) choice.

Cheers, h.

Oh my.... Yes. It was just my opinion based on over 50 years practicing as a Registered Nurse, the last 15 spent as a Case Manager in Disease Management. The ones who were ultra-thin were usually that way because they were sick and had reached a point where they weren't eating. Family members brought them in with their walkers and wheelchairs, and when I say elderly, I'm talking more like 80's and 90's which is far from your age. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I can see why you might feel that way, based on that experience! Yikes. It can be quite shocking, that stage.

I suspect the seniors who are athletically active spend less time visiting doctor's offices, let alone needing case managers, so I appreciate that you identified the relevant background. That's helpful - one more pointer in a positive direction.

The 70 and 80-something rowers, runners, and gym-goers I know are pretty thin, generally, but they seem to spend less time with doctors/hospitals/meds than my obese/overweight inactive friends my age (67) or even quite a bit younger. (I admit, I've only known a couple very active people who were over 90, but that age is pretty rare in general.)

Honestly, noticing that difference was part of what triggered me to reach a healthy weight at 60. I was starting to have a gut feel (pun intended) for where being obese was leading me, even though I was already athletically active. Active and at a healthy weight seems like the best bet for long-term good health, to me.

As I've said elsewhere, kudos to you (and others who've posted here) for finding a route in that healthier direction, even though your eating choices are very different from mine.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    I just started a few days ago, 16:8 anyways. So far so good.

FANTASTIC!!!!
  • azoutte
    azoutte Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great stuff! Do you notice any changes to you so far with the 16:8 and your other fasting?
  • dennis7174
    dennis7174 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 70 and have dealt with my weight since birth it seems at least to me. I have tried every diet that shows promise. Some I had really good results then I'd gain it back plus. Even when I was working and active, dieting was hard. I was a business owner the past 30 years prior to retirement. The last 5-6 years were extremely stressful, and I turned to alcohol to help me forget or at least enable me to sleep at least for 4-5 hours. Now retired and have lost that stress I still have a few cocktails each day. I know that first of all the weight I've put on in the last couple of years probably points to that fact as alcohol also increases your appetite as you all know.

I have been drawn to IF as it's something that doesn't require pills, major restrictions on food and I can go without eating for an extended period. I am now walking 30 minutes each morning after my first coffee. Also, started a workout routine using resistance bans etc. Then eat at 9 or so. Evening meal ends around 6 pm. So, at this point I'm doing 15-9 with at least a 14-10.

I hope to expand this to 16-8 soon. I've lost about 10 lbs. since the first of the year and I am reducing my alcohol intake yet probably won't completely not have a cocktail with my wife or friends once and a while. I also use MFP to monitor my intake and try to reduce my carbs not necessarily keto but watch foods that contain a lot of carbs. I still have to work on more protein but all comes with time.

I encourage by all you that have had success with IF. Please continue to share your journey
  • blessed2bme4ever
    blessed2bme4ever Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I never thought fasting was healthy and refused to try it until this past fall when I'd finally admitted nothing I was trying was working for me. I finally gave IF a try and I'm hooked. I'm the kind of person who can eat from the time I get up until I go to bed and being able to fast for 14 hours has helped my health journey so much. I still can't fall asleep with an empty stomach though so fasting for longer than that hasn't worked for me. My lunch break is at noon and that's when I stop my fast. I'd like to start my fast before 10 pm but so far I have not made it due to that empty feeling in my stomach and not being able to fall asleep.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    dennis7174 wrote: »
    I'm 70 and have dealt with my weight since birth it seems at least to me. I have tried every diet that shows promise. Some I had really good results then I'd gain it back plus. Even when I was working and active, dieting was hard. I was a business owner the past 30 years prior to retirement. The last 5-6 years were extremely stressful, and I turned to alcohol to help me forget or at least enable me to sleep at least for 4-5 hours. Now retired and have lost that stress I still have a few cocktails each day. I know that first of all the weight I've put on in the last couple of years probably points to that fact as alcohol also increases your appetite as you all know.

I have been drawn to IF as it's something that doesn't require pills, major restrictions on food and I can go without eating for an extended period. I am now walking 30 minutes each morning after my first coffee. Also, started a workout routine using resistance bans etc. Then eat at 9 or so. Evening meal ends around 6 pm. So, at this point I'm doing 15-9 with at least a 14-10.

I hope to expand this to 16-8 soon. I've lost about 10 lbs. since the first of the year and I am reducing my alcohol intake yet probably won't completely not have a cocktail with my wife or friends once and a while. I also use MFP to monitor my intake and try to reduce my carbs not necessarily keto but watch foods that contain a lot of carbs. I still have to work on more protein but all comes with time.

I encourage by all you that have had success with IF. Please continue to share your journey

Dennis, you're doing great. I could never have lost those 60 pounds without following IF and a healthy whole foods diet. Just be careful. If you haven't eaten for a while and you break your fast with alcohol, you might find yourself on the floor. Don't ask me how I know... lol
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    I never thought fasting was healthy and refused to try it until this past fall when I'd finally admitted nothing I was trying was working for me. I finally gave IF a try and I'm hooked. I'm the kind of person who can eat from the time I get up until I go to bed and being able to fast for 14 hours has helped my health journey so much. I still can't fall asleep with an empty stomach though so fasting for longer than that hasn't worked for me. My lunch break is at noon and that's when I stop my fast. I'd like to start my fast before 10 pm but so far I have not made it due to that empty feeling in my stomach and not being able to fall asleep.

Hi Blessed, you're doing great. I can't go to sleep on an empty stomach either, so I break my fast later in the day (around 5-6 PM). Try though I may, I have to have something before going to sleep. I realize it's a craving, not hunger, but it gets the best of me, and so I eat. It used to be something sweet but now I make it a wholesome snack. That's the only way I can combat it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I fast 36+ hours every other day. That evening ‘hunger’ is just ‘that fasted feeling’ and sleeping empty is the best sleep ever! I dream so vividly while fasting. When we fast, we aren’t going without. We’re eating meals we put away just for that purpose. Dr. Fung says your body doesn’t want to have to work for its food, like converting fat into nutrients and sustenance. It wants your hand in the cookie jar. Hunger is no reason to eat. I’m 63 and have lost 11 lbs this month fasting every other day, saving loads of grocery money, and eating a Mediterranean/DASH diet when I eat. 49 lbs more to go for a normal BMI.
  • GingerGinner
    GingerGinner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm back on the IF wagon and absolutely love how focused, sharp and energised I feel. it has taken a while to get myself back and I regret leaving it so long as living to eat is not an enjoyable existence. Last time I did this, along with lowering my carb intake my skin had a glow like never before and I lost weight from my "trouble spots" easily.

The feeling of being in control is fabulous.

Well done to you! @BarbMessimer
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I fast 36+ hours every other day. That evening ‘hunger’ is just ‘that fasted feeling’ and sleeping empty is the best sleep ever! I dream so vividly while fasting. When we fast, we aren’t going without. We’re eating meals we put away just for that purpose. Dr. Fung says your body doesn’t want to have to work for its food, like converting fat into nutrients and sustenance. It wants your hand in the cookie jar. Hunger is no reason to eat. I’m 63 and have lost 11 lbs this month fasting every other day, saving loads of grocery money, and eating a Mediterranean/DASH diet when I eat. 49 lbs more to go for a normal BMI.

cbelc, that is fabulous! Thank you for reminding me of what Dr. Fung said about hunger. He's my hero, and I know what you mean about saving money on groceries, not to mention the time it takes to prepare and eat multiple meals. I'm going to research the Mediterranean diet. I simply eat Moderate protein, moderate fat and low carb but perhaps could tweak it a little.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    I'm back on the IF wagon and absolutely love how focused, sharp and energised I feel. it has taken a while to get myself back and I regret leaving it so long as living to eat is not an enjoyable existence. Last time I did this, along with lowering my carb intake my skin had a glow like never before and I lost weight from my "trouble spots" easily.

The feeling of being in control is fabulous.

Well done to you! @BarbMessimer

Very very good, Ginger. "I love how focused, sharp and energized I feel" by practicing IF too. I have control over my hunger and wouldn't eat any other way. Been doing this for almost 2 years now.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I had posted above in January about our great experience with a 49 hour fast. Felt good, looked good, liked it. We concluded 88 hours yesterday. Uuugh. I do not want to do it again (but I probably will). Today after a moderate refeed yesterday, trying to stay keto as long as possible (bone broth, avocado, arugula with olive oil and salt, 12 almonds…followed by iceberg lettuce cucumber, avocado, 2 ounces ground beef, 1 ounce cheddar cheese with mayonnaise 6 hours later) my body hurts all over…every muscle and joint. There are some serious repairs, healing, detoxing occurring in there right now. I feel like I should wear a sign around my neck “Excuse our mess while we continue to improve our body”. My skin looks horrible with red scaly patches here and there (this happens with nerve regeneration when it grows back together it sends a bolt of electricity through and burns the skin where the nerve ends) a few bruises that I swear are spontaneous and tingly itching all over. I had serious electrolyte imbalance at ~54 hours. I will never skip those supplements of potassium and magnesium on any future endeavors. I think I will do a breakfast to breakfast 24 hour each week thinking that maybe more small dose autophagy will improve my next 48 hour go. I never got that euphoria that was stated to occur after 72 hours, nor did I get the day four major clean out from my bowels, just a minor version (sorry for the tmi but it is a fasting side effect…your body dumps accumulated toxins and digestive sludge). Things that I did notice…my sense of smell has always been good, but it is incredibly sensitive now, like WOW! My minor wounds healed…like a winter nostril that would not get better…gone by hour 54. I have 4 non-cancerous skin growths about 1/4” wide and the skin grows thick on them (arm, elbow, shoulder and knee)…they shrank! No joke, no exaggeration. I feel like I am thinking more rapidly and might be having 2 or three mental processes occurring at any one time vs. being easily disrupted during “one” thought. AND not why we did it but frosting on our zero calorie fasting cake…I dropped 11 pounds. 4-6 pounds of which is glucose and it’s host water molecules. The rest is fat. Last time it was fat from my belly (3.5” in 48 hours…it never came back) and this time it was very spread out all over in small bits, nothing huge from any one area…most was 1.5” from my waist. My skin looks dimply all over but it did last time too until glucose was fully restored. So I don’t recommend going from 49 to 88… try 24, 36, 48, 54, 60, 66, 72, etc…..incremental steps. I feel I paid a price of pain and suffering from too much too soon because I was over excited to get all the rewards.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Debbs, I'm on a 48 hour fast. I have electrolyte powder ready for day 2. Months ago I attempted a 72 hr fast but crashed. You really need the electrolytes. Cut my BP med in half in anticipation of a drop and will monitor it. I'm hoping to take off a few pounds of real fat. I've lost 62 pounds and want to get to 65 (going down in 5 pound increments).
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    36/12 Alternate Day Fasting since January 3rd with a Mediterranean Diet and vitamins on eating days and a bit of salt in my fasting drinks on fasting days. I’m down 14 lbs as of today. I did have a 4 day vacation and gained a little, but I jumped right back on it and that gain had disappeared. I have a goal of 7500 steps a day and have been meeting that. Still a ways to go until I have a normal BMI but I feel great
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!