INTERMITTENT FASTING MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD

Options

Replies

• BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    36/12 Alternate Day Fasting since January 3rd with a Mediterranean Diet and vitamins on eating days and a bit of salt in my fasting drinks on fasting days. I’m down 14 lbs as of today. I did have a 4 day vacation and gained a little, but I jumped right back on it and that gain had disappeared. I have a goal of 7500 steps a day and have been meeting that. Still a ways to go until I have a normal BMI but I feel great

That's fantastic, cbelc2! I'm 100% sold on IF or, in my case, it's more like time restricted eating. I rest my digestive system for 18 hours and eat a moderate protein/fat, low carb diet with vitamin supplements during my 6 hour window. Blood work came back excellent. No more diabetes or kidney disease. Feel great and have lost 62 pounds in the past 2 years and I am 76 years old.
  • Bluesscale
    Bluesscale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree Barb, our bodies use too much energy digesting everything we eat. Your body never rests though. When our bodies are in fasting mode a lot is still going on. Repairs to be made, new cells to be created, wounds to heal, the lymph system and glymphatic system flush out waste, and an immune system refresh, it's a busy place. And all of this makes you healthier, stronger and disease free. All your levels return to the normal range and weight loss are bonuses. I'm 76 as well!
  • KrisSing56
    KrisSing56 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have played around with IF for the past year or so, but now that I've found out that I am borderline diabetic, I have gotten very serious about it. IF is perhaps the best tool to reverse type 2 diabetes, which has become an epidemic all over the world. I'm also eating no processed carbs or sugar, as much as possible, though they put sugar in everything, it seems. I was very heavy as a young person (my weight was double what it is now) Now I'm 66 and have maybe 10 pounds to lose, and I know that will vanish with the way I'm eating. I, too feel energized, clear headed and with much less osteoarthritis pain. I'm psyched! To anyone on the fence I recommend trying it for a week.
  • Lotty1253
    Lotty1253 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about IF for a while. I am Type 2 diabetic and have been trying the 16/8. I do take medication but I'm not on insulin. I'm going to take some of the advice on this discussion and try it for a week and see how I feel. Lots of good advice here.
  • socialwebcafe
    socialwebcafe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. When I tried IF, I DID feel energized, and I felt good until... it was too much for my type 1 diabetic body, and I was headed for a seizure. In all fairness, programs warn that Type 1 diabetics should NOT participate in IF without a doctor's involvement and they are correct. I am a bit stubborn and decided to participate anyway :) That said, I do agree that it is an energizing feeling and I plan to participate, again, in a modified format, to fit my needs as a type 1 diabetic.

Oh, I have to add that I am not a physician, and for any other type 1 diabetics out there, I do NOT recommend that you participate in IF. Certainly, do not do it without checking with your endocrinologist.
  • marmax4904
    marmax4904 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but.... Every study of intermittent fasting I've read suggested that while it works to help you eat less, it actually does make you feel worse. Feelings of hunger and fatigue--and the distraction they cause--were the no. 1 reason so few study participants were able to sustain IF after just a few weeks or months. The literature also suggest IF's results are merely due to caloric restriction and that it's no better at causing weight loss than non-IF caloric restriction.
  • marmax4904
    marmax4904 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, losing more than 2 lbs a week (8 lbs/month) is not healthy, and some of the rapid weight loss reported here is troubling because its suggestive of an eating disorder and/or unsustainable dieting (which almost always leads to rebound-weight gain). Healthy weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Aim to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week max.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    Bluesscale wrote: »
    I agree Barb, our bodies use too much energy digesting everything we eat. Your body never rests though. When our bodies are in fasting mode a lot is still going on. Repairs to be made, new cells to be created, wounds to heal, the lymph system and glymphatic system flush out waste, and an immune system refresh, it's a busy place. And all of this makes you healthier, stronger and disease free. All your levels return to the normal range and weight loss are bonuses. I'm 76 as well!

Hi there, fellow 76'er! I agree with everything you said. I feel so much younger than my age after following IF for 2 years. I don't find it hard, and I love the new way I eat. Just wish I'd started it sooner.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    In February 2012 I went to the doctor and weighed in at 375. That and a few other motivations I had enough and started dieting and exercise. Intermediate fasting was part of my routine and it was easy, helped that I have a very demanding job. By Christmas that year I weighed 260 and eventually got down to 235. Which for my body type was very healthy as I could run for about as long as I wanted to, did CrossFit type exercised, was doing burgees rapidly, and back into powerlifting.

In 2016 I had a job change that was even more demanding (no more gym) and required me to travel all the time (eating at restaurants = BAD). A whole bunch of overcomeable excuses, but I put the weight back on. Feb 8 of this year I had enough, weighed myself and came in at 372. Hit the gym and starting fasting again, and courting calories. 26 days in, 32 pounds off.

Now I average around 1000 calories a day (yesterday 480 calories), and not crazy hungry either. I drink a lot of water to fill me up, and eat healthy when I do eat, and NO SNACKING.

Dale, congrats on getting back! You know what works for you, but I don't measure food or count calories. I did that for so many years. It was torture restricting my food intake. I was so hungry all the time and would always put the weight back on plus extra pounds. This time I eat whole healthy food to my satisfaction level and don't sweat what the scale says. I'm not losing as fast now as I was as I'm getting closer to my goal, but the big thing is I'm not putting any of the weight I've lost back on. That's my big concern. Only 3% can keep their weight off and I want to be in that 3%. Would love for us to be friends here and you can keep me posted.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    marmax4904 wrote: »
    Everyone is different but.... Every study of intermittent fasting I've read suggested that while it works to help you eat less, it actually does make you feel worse. Feelings of hunger and fatigue--and the distraction they cause--were the no. 1 reason so few study participants were able to sustain IF after just a few weeks or months. The literature also suggest IF's results are merely due to caloric restriction and that it's no better at causing weight loss than non-IF caloric restriction.

Interesting. In the course of my life, I've been on every conceivable diet out there and IF is the only way of eating that I've been long term successful on and I eat plenty of good food. I don't deprive myself and don't count calories and eat plenty of good food. I had chronic kidney disease and was a Type II Diabetic. Both of these diseases have been reversed. Just saw my Cardiologist and my cholesterol/triglyceride values were terrific, and my HDL/LDL ration was as good as it can get. My skin glows. My skin tags and seborrheic keratosis are almost non-existent. My eye floaters are almost gone (and I was told they would never get better). My gums are healthy (Had gingivitis for years). I have tons of energy at the age 76. My mental status is clear and bright and I'm enthusiastic about life. I'm off 4 medications. So... I'm living proof that this way of eating, where you give your body a rest from digestion, is good for you.
  • Rebe_Hawaii
    Rebe_Hawaii Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Does anyone use an app to keep track of IF? I know fitness pal has one but you have to be a premium member to use it.
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have had a great experience with IF. I generally do a 18/6, eating between 2pm and 8pm each day and usually not too hungry before 2. My health has improved dramatically. So far I have lost 99lbs. I generally consume between 1100 - 1400 calories each day and my diet is pretty clean. I plan to stay on it indefinitely.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    I have had a great experience with IF. I generally do a 18/6, eating between 2pm and 8pm each day and usually not too hungry before 2. My health has improved dramatically. So far I have lost 99lbs. I generally consume between 1100 - 1400 calories each day and my diet is pretty clean. I plan to stay on it indefinitely.

Excellent.... Just one more pound and you'll reach that magic number of -100! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! The health benefits are what I really like, and I find it easy to make this an eating lifestyle. Will be following IF for life. It's not a diet.
  • bteri107
    bteri107 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have given IF a try! Why didn't I do it sooner? I typically do a 16:8 and though I'm not perfect at it, this has been the solution to getting my eating habits under control!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use an app to keep track of IF? I know fitness pal has one but you have to be a premium member to use it.

@Rebe_Hawaii I use Life Fasting and love it.
  • BarbMessimer
    Options
    bteri107 wrote: »
    I am so happy to have given IF a try! Why didn't I do it sooner? I typically do a 16:8 and though I'm not perfect at it, this has been the solution to getting my eating habits under control!

Good for you, bteri! I feel the same way. I never knew there was a way to get my weight under control permanently. When I think about all the times I tried to lose weight and just kept getting heavier and heavier, I want to cry. I take pride in my appearance and really suffered emotionally. I know people looked down on me for being fat, like I was lazy or a glutton. I feel so good about myself now and my health has dramatically improved. So happy for you!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,277 Member
    Options

Yes I do and love it
  • bteri107
    bteri107 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bteri107 wrote: »

Good for you, bteri! I feel the same way. I never knew there was a way to get my weight under control permanently. When I think about all the times I tried to lose weight and just kept getting heavier and heavier, I want to cry. I take pride in my appearance and really suffered emotionally. I know people looked down on me for being fat, like I was lazy or a glutton. I feel so good about myself now and my health has dramatically improved. So happy for you!

I hear you! It takes a toll when I'm not feeling and looking my best. No more diets for me, just a different lifestyle that's healthy and easy to sustain.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!