Recent research paper on I.F. and OMAD

Options
DFW_Tom
DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
edited November 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I haven't seen any discussion on this study and am curious what others think about it. Published: August 10, 2022 in the Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Diabetics:

https://jandonline.org/article/S2212-2672(22)00874-7/fulltext

Senior study author Dr Wei Bao, an epidemiologist at the University of Iowa, said:
: Our findings are based on observations drawn from public data and do not imply causality. Nonetheless, what we observed makes metabolic sense.....

"Dr Bao explained that skipping meals usually means ingesting a larger energy load at one time, which can aggravate the burden of glucose metabolism regulation and lead to subsequent metabolic deterioration.

This can also explain the association between a shorter meal interval and mortality, as a shorter time between meals would result in a larger energy load in the given period."

My take on this is that since the paper is based on telephone interviews without physical exams, it's on shaky ground.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,926 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I'd like to know who funded this study and are there any jobs available. Cheers.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,926 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    All kidding aside. First of all, nutritional epidemiology relies on nonscientific measurements for assessment. Also to assess risk or mortality there needs to be a control group, which there are none, simply because these are observations based on people's memories and for mortality for example, a control group would need to be assessed to the end, which is death. Like I've said before, nutritional epidemiology is the weapon of mass confusion but make great headlines all based on PhD best guess estimates.

"Dr Bao explained that skipping meals usually means ingesting a larger energy load at one time, which can aggravate the burden of glucose metabolism regulation and lead to subsequent metabolic deterioration.This can also explain the association between a shorter meal interval and mortality, as a shorter time between meals would result in a larger energy load in the given period."

The quintessential "leap of faith" Here Dr. Bao conflict glucose metabolism, meal frequency with an increased caloric load with the hypothesis that elevated insulin due to the increased response from the pancreas has been associated with increased inflammation resulting in the escalation of the many well known metabolic diseases. None of this happens if one was not to overeat and be in a steady energy balance. After that it gets complicated, and it certainly is way more complicated than meal frequency, which btw, are many actual random controlled trials that show improvement to metabolic dysfunction. I agree with your assessment that this is on shaky ground.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,412 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    I haven't seen any discussion on this study and am curious what others think about it. Published: August 10, 2022 in the Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Diabetics:

Senior study author Dr Wei Bao, an epidemiologist at the University of Iowa, said:
    : Our findings are based on observations drawn from public data and do not imply causality. Nonetheless, what we observed makes metabolic sense.....

"Dr Bao explained that skipping meals usually means ingesting a larger energy load at one time, which can aggravate the burden of glucose metabolism regulation and lead to subsequent metabolic deterioration.

This can also explain the association between a shorter meal interval and mortality, as a shorter time between meals would result in a larger energy load in the given period."

My take on this is that since the paper is based on telephone interviews without physical exams, it's on shaky ground.

I've heard this a lot from doctors that work in the Middle East when I was living there. Of course lifestyle in general can be extremely unhealthy, compared to many European countries for example, thus causality is a bit difficult. Thus if there's an actual connection to fasting during daylight and metabolic syndrome? No idea. These were just doctors working there, not researchers.

• BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »

I agree with you. This was not a scientific study. Ate age 76 (birthday today), I feel better than ever, have lost and kept off 60 pounds. Every part of my body is healthier, no more back pain, blood work is perfect, have tons of energy and am sure I'll live a longer life as a result.