Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

BCAAs

Options
Adding some indicators regarding the grams of BCAAs contained in the foods consumed would be extremely helpful. More so than just proteins.
Tagged:
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    The problem is: where would MFP get that information? It's not on the food labels.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Besides that, BCAAs aren't even complete proteins. Why would MFP single out those 3 essential amino acids to highlight? There are 20 amino acids required by the body, 9 of them essential (i.e., body can't create them, we need to eat them).

Protein quality is important, and I get that BCAAs are a popular supplement, especially for those with muscle-gain goals . . . but the focus on them is a somewhat narrow thing. If you get enough BCAAs, but don't get the other essential amino acids . . . that's not a good thing, no matter your goals. (As 48+ years vegetarian, I pretty profoundly realize this!)

And besides, as Lietchi said . . . if it isn't on food labels, how would it be populated into a crowd-sourced database?