Lost 60 Pounds with 40 to Go!

Options
BarbMessimer
BarbMessimer Posts: 295 Member
edited November 2022 in Success Stories
I started at 270. My doctor classified me as MORBIDLY OBESE and gave me a referral for gastric bypass surgery, and I went for the consultation but after seeing photos of the procedures, I bolted out of the office. The last thing I wanted was to ruin my stomach. I'm already being treated for reflux and have a hiatal hernia and eating good food is one of my greatest pleasures in life. Making my stomach the size of a banana didn't appeal to me.

I had heard about INTERMITTENT FASTING and decided to try it. I started with 2 meals a day spaced 6 hours apart, eliminated snacking and drank water and unsweet tea. I extended the time between meals to where, after 9 months, I could eat one meal a day. I ate wholesome food: High protein/low carb. Stayed away from processed foods, sugars and starches, anything made from flour, no vegetable oils and no commercially fried foods.

I've lost 60 pounds in 18 months and my goal is to lose 100. So just 40 to go! I feel great. No longer diabetic. Blood work is perfect. No more depression or back pain and have tons of energy.

The best part is that it's been incredibly easy. No deprivation and I've thoroughly enjoyed my meals. Yes, I occasionally have a piece of pie or cake... a potato, rice or pasta, but when I do, I eat them with my one meal.

I've made a lot of friends who have lost 100+ pounds practicing IF and they swear they could never have done it any other way and I agree with them. Best of all, we're all keeping the weight off!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Glad you found something that works for you while at the same time still feeling confident, good job. Cheers.
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, and congratulations! That’s really fantastic.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This is the same as your other thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10875984/ive-lost-60-pounds-and-feel-great/p1

I lost 80 pounds in 2007 and have kept it off since then eating sometimes multiple meals a day, sometimes once a day, and no particular schedule. As I lost the weight, my health problems also went away. I think anyone who loses a significant amount of weight will improve their health a lot.

It's still and always about creating a calorie deficit - however you do that.

Good luck on the next 40 pounds. That's when things get real. :wink:

No, cmriverside. Not exactly the same, but I'm flattered that you're following my posts. I agree.... the next 40 pounds are the hardest as I'm finding out. I've lost a lot of weight multiple times over the past 50 years, even as much as 68 pounds on calorie deficit diets but could never keep the pounds off. It will soon be two years and I haven't regained any that I've lost which is a huge accomplishment for me. I'm certain that eating once a day and eating a proper diet of whole foods has been the reason for my success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!