Suggestions for heat intolerance? Always hot (not hot FLASHES)

Options
I'm always hot. I have @ 25 pounds to lose but wasn't hotter when I was at my highest weight. My heat intolerance has gotten worse over the years but my GYN said because I don't have hot FLASHES she doesn't think it's related to my reproductive system/peri-menopause. (I'm almost 56 and was not in menopause when I had my uterus and 11 pounds worth of fibroids removed Nov 3. I still have my ovaries.) 

I drink caffeine but it is very weak compared to other coffee drinkers - one serving is made from 2 teaspoons coffee and 2 teaspoons Teeccino, a caffeine-free herbal coffee sub. I only drink hot beverages when I'm going to be in a colder room, or outdoors.

On the advice of my PCP, I tried Gabapentin for night sweats which did not work for that, but does help me sleep so I'm still taking 200 mg. 300 mg just makes me groggy the next day and does not help me sleep cooler.

I tried increasing my antidepressant Cymbalta which also did not help and probably caused [too long to go into here] so now I am taking Remeron.

I just met with an endocrinologist. He ruled out a bunch of conditions. He said my thyroid (TSH) tests over the years looked good. My regular periods prior to taking medications that suppressed my periods was an indicator that all was fine with my endocrine system, and my very good bone density test results indicate that my estrogen levels are good. 
He did put in an order for an estrogen test, but really didn't have much to offer.

I wish I'd picked y'alls brains BEFORE talking to him, but here we are.

Thoughts?

TIA

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My thought is: when did this all start? Go back to the beginning of it. Any thoughts on what you changed in your life at that point?
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Ahah! Now on this one subject, I am a genuine expert (previous endocrine issue which made me heat intolerant). I never found a magical cure but here’s what I did / do:
    1. It sounds obvious but I always wear thin layers. It means I’m often in the office wearing sleeveless tops and thin trousers whilst everyone else is in boots and jumpers.
    2. I use a wool quilt - it regulates my temperature better than feathers or polyester. I didn’t get on with the wool pillow but I know friends who have.
    3. I use a silk pillowcase as it stays cooler than cotton.
    4. I carry a paper fan with me so that I can whip it out and fan myself - I’m also perimenopausal so I need it frequently.
    5. I keep muscle cooling gel with me and use it on my neck and forearms to help cool me down.
    6. I always have a chilled bottle of water with me.
    7. I use colour correcting primer under my foundation to help hide the red flushed cheeks.
    8. I use muscle ice pads (the ones you can refreeze) and wrap them in a towel, then hug them (when I’m really uncomfortable)
    9. I use body oil all the time as my skin dries out easily, and it stops me getting cracked skin
    10. Finally I keep wet wipes and cool down with those

Ultimately I know I’m going to suffer in the office, on public transport and in other people’s houses, and I’ve grown used to it I guess. Not sure if those ideas help!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My 10 years of off and on (but generally more on than off) hot flashes have morphed into overall heat intolerance punctuated by internal furnace blasts. A year or so before I noticed any perimenopause symptoms I developed a mysterious intolerance to caffeine so eliminated that completely. I don't drink alcohol. I've never been overweight.

Clothing is definitely a big dilemma because there are times during the winter when I have to be outdoors in -20 C, -30 C or -40 C. Plus I need to be somewhat presentable occasionally so my big down snow parka isn't going to cut it. Layering starts to restrict my mobility while driving. I've sort of resigned myself to dressing semi-appropriately for the weather and then driving around with the window cracked.

I have a USB fan plugged into every computer I sit at. At work I have two fans, one facing me and one behind me. Just this afternoon I could hear a coworker (wearing a shirt and cardigan) walk by saying "Brrrr" while I was reaching to switch on the fan. I know my perception of heat is way off.

I have a few of those gel ice bags in the freezer to drape over the back of my neck when I'm really miserable. I keep my house at 15 C because I live alone and the dogs have fur. I spend my nights playing covers-off, covers-on.

We've recently discovered that my bone density has nosedived in the last couple of years and I have osteoporosis already so it will be interesting to see what my doc does about that.

No magic cures or anything, just shared misery.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    When did this start, compared to your recent surgery? My first reaction is to wait until you are fully recovered from your hysterectomy and see if that changes anything. And until then I think some of the symptom management ideas above are good ones!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    My thought is: when did this all start? Go back to the beginning of it. Any thoughts on what you changed in your life at that point?
    avatiach wrote: »
    When did this start, compared to your recent surgery? My first reaction is to wait until you are fully recovered from your hysterectomy and see if that changes anything. And until then I think some of the symptom management ideas above are good ones!

It's definitely gotten worse over time, so I thought it was perimenopause related, but my GYN doesn't think so. I am a month post hysterectomy today.

I did have heat intolerance 10 years ago when I met my partner, but not as bad.

I did not like living in South Florida in the mid-late 00's.

I didn't like Okinawa either, and that was in the late 80s.

So I've been heat adverse my entire life, it's just less manageable now, especially as I no longer have control of the thermostat in the common areas. I hope to move out within a few months.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Ahah! Now on this one subject, I am a genuine expert (previous endocrine issue which made me heat intolerant). I never found a magical cure but here’s what I did / do:
    1. It sounds obvious but I always wear thin layers. It means I’m often in the office wearing sleeveless tops and thin trousers whilst everyone else is in boots and jumpers.
    2. I use a wool quilt - it regulates my temperature better than feathers or polyester. I didn’t get on with the wool pillow but I know friends who have.
    3. I use a silk pillowcase as it stays cooler than cotton.
    4. I carry a paper fan with me so that I can whip it out and fan myself - I’m also perimenopausal so I need it frequently.
    5. I keep muscle cooling gel with me and use it on my neck and forearms to help cool me down.
    6. I always have a chilled bottle of water with me.
    7. I use colour correcting primer under my foundation to help hide the red flushed cheeks.
    8. I use muscle ice pads (the ones you can refreeze) and wrap them in a towel, then hug them (when I’m really uncomfortable)
    9. I use body oil all the time as my skin dries out easily, and it stops me getting cracked skin
    10. Finally I keep wet wipes and cool down with those

Ultimately I know I’m going to suffer in the office, on public transport and in other people’s houses, and I’ve grown used to it I guess. Not sure if those ideas help!

Yep, last few years I always have a sleeveless shirt as my bottom layer. :D I used to be able to wear a thin red sweater during the Christmas season, but no longer.

I'm curious - what was your previous endocrine issue and why is it in the past?

Did you have flashes or were you just always hot?

Some interesting tips, thanks!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I feel your pain. My 10 years of off and on (but generally more on than off) hot flashes have morphed into overall heat intolerance punctuated by internal furnace blasts. A year or so before I noticed any perimenopause symptoms I developed a mysterious intolerance to caffeine so eliminated that completely. I don't drink alcohol. I've never been overweight.

Clothing is definitely a big dilemma because there are times during the winter when I have to be outdoors in -20 C, -30 C or -40 C. Plus I need to be somewhat presentable occasionally so my big down snow parka isn't going to cut it. Layering starts to restrict my mobility while driving. I've sort of resigned myself to dressing semi-appropriately for the weather and then driving around with the window cracked.

I have a USB fan plugged into every computer I sit at. At work I have two fans, one facing me and one behind me. Just this afternoon I could hear a coworker (wearing a shirt and cardigan) walk by saying "Brrrr" while I was reaching to switch on the fan. I know my perception of heat is way off.

I have a few of those gel ice bags in the freezer to drape over the back of my neck when I'm really miserable. I keep my house at 15 C because I live alone and the dogs have fur. I spend my nights playing covers-off, covers-on.

We've recently discovered that my bone density has nosedived in the last couple of years and I have osteoporosis already so it will be interesting to see what my doc does about that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I see 15 C = 59 F ... we lost power for a few days Oct 2021. My partner had to go out of town. My cat and I were just fine at 59 degrees. I always turned the heat off at night but my partner complained if it got below 65 upstairs, "my" part of the house. (We had/have separate bedrooms at the old place and current place.)

Is there a connection between osteoporosis and heat intolerance? My mom has osteoporosis and is always cold.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I see 15 C = 59 F ... we lost power for a few days Oct 2021. My partner had to go out of town. My cat and I were just fine at 59 degrees. I always turned the heat off at night but my partner complained if it got below 65 upstairs, "my" part of the house. (We had/have separate bedrooms at the old place and current place.)

Is there a connection between osteoporosis and heat intolerance? My mom has osteoporosis and is always cold.

I dunno, but I have osteoporosis now**, and I'm not always cold. I'm much more likely to be warm. (**I think - for sure advancing osteopenia, and I think it's over the line into osteopenia based on my last DEXA for that. I already did 4 years on bisphosphonates a few years back, probably heading that way again, we'll see.)

I dislike hot weather - have for decades - because it makes me feel dragged out and lethargic, but I don't know that I'd call myself "heat intolerant" in any kind of routine struggling sense, either. OTOH, I live alone now, so I keep it in whatever temperature range suits me.

I did have hot flashes after I went into chemopause and was taking the anti-estrogen type drugs on top of that, but most women do have hot flashes under those circumstances. They're rare for me now, usually correlate with overeating 😆.
  • kshama2001
    edited December 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I dunno, but I have osteoporosis now**, and I'm not always cold. I'm much more likely to be warm. (**I think - for sure advancing osteopenia, and I think it's over the line into osteopenia based on my last DEXA for that. I already did 4 years on bisphosphonates a few years back, probably heading that way again, we'll see.)

I dislike hot weather - have for decades - because it makes me feel dragged out and lethargic, but I don't know that I'd call myself "heat intolerant" in any kind of routine struggling sense, either. OTOH, I live alone now, so I keep it in whatever temperature range suits me.

I did have hot flashes after I went into chemopause and was taking the anti-estrogen type drugs on top of that, but most women do have hot flashes under those circumstances. They're rare for me now, usually correlate with overeating 😆.

Ok, we may be on to something now! To help with my fibroids and other issues, I'd been taking progesterone off and on for the last 20 years, and stronger type at a higher dose since January of this year, plus a 6 month course of Lupron, which has anti-estrogen effects, April - Sep of this year. I did stop the progesterone a month ago at the time of my surgery. I wonder if I might get some better heat tolerance soon. :smiley:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26674572/

"...In general, estrogens tend to promote lower body temperatures via augmentation of heat dissipation responses, whereas progesterone tends to promote higher body temperatures..."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Ok, we may be on to something now! To help with my fibroids and other issues, I'd been taking progesterone off and on for the last 20 years, and stronger type at a higher dose since January of this year, plus a 6 month course of Lupron, which has anti-estrogen effects, April - Sep of this year. I did stop the progesterone a month ago at the time of my surgery. I wonder if I might get some better heat tolerance soon. :smiley:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26674572/

"...In general, estrogens tend to promote lower body temperatures via augmentation of heat dissipation responses, whereas progesterone tends to promote higher body temperatures..."

I think you have an intriguing theory there, worth considering at n=1. I will say that I tended to be warm even before the chemopause/anti-estrogens, but that was mostly when I was overweight/obese so better insulated (?). The only time in life I remember being persistently cold was a year or so in my early college years when I lost some weight (probably stupidly with too little protein so muscle loss or some adaptive thermogenesis?).

I never took Lupron (because chemopause), but I know what its function is. Lots of breast cancer survivors take it. FWIW, I took Tamoxifen for 2.5 years, Arimidex for 5 years after that. While I did have ER+/PR+ breast cancer, there are some hints that I'm not by nature the most estrogen-dominant woman in the universe by nature, though I always had regular and normal cycles pre-chemopause.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 I've just sent you a friends request and we can chat offline about endocrine stuff 👍
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @kshama2001 I've just sent you a friends request and we can chat offline about endocrine stuff 👍

Accepted!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I don't think so since the osteoporosis is quite new for me. My last scan in 2018 had shown good bone density, the problems showed up on an xray about a year ago. I was paying for scans myself, my dr hadn't requested any since 2005. I would have gone for another one in 2020 except along came Covid and I couldn't get into the US to get one done.

All my life until peri or menopause I was one of those people who are always cold and piling on sweaters when others were comfortable in sleeveless tops. Now I have storage totes full of warm winter clothing that hasn't been worn in years. The coworker who sits 6 feet away from me is putting on a jacket to stay warm and I've got two fans blowing at me.