This is why I get frustrated and don't want to work out

ebgbjo
ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
I push and push myself and make sure I stay within heart rate. I just ran for 30mins on treadmill and then did 10 mins on treadmill of HIITs (30sec as 2.5mph with 45sec at 7.5mph). After 40mins of working out I only burned 321 calories! WTF!

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    So that's how it works, not sure why this is so frustrating for you.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    321 Calories more than you burned before.

Why would this frustrate you? Combined with a reasonable caloric deficit, you have a great balanced lifestyle. Best way to set yourself up for success!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I have had that feeling, I have had to bike a lot lately as my feet would not allow me to run. I was frustrated that my calorie burn biking was far less for the same amount of time running. That does not mean that it is not doing good things for your body.

Also, what was your pace in your 30 min warm up, if it was slow you might not have burned much. If you were using the HRM on the machine, it could have been inaccurate.

something to consider, it is pretty normal to burn between 90-110 calories per mile, depending on your fitness level. How many miles did you cover? If you only covered a short distance then the burn might be accurate.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    WTF is right
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Sorry, but I do not understand what is so bad about that calorie burn? Especially considering you are a low weight.
    Exercise is meant to be about fitness, anyway, not about how many calories you burn. The body does not really quite work that way.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Um... What were you expecting?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I also don't understand what you expected different. That's a pretty good burn for someone your size, for such a short period of time.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    I understand why you get frustrated. I have been holding at 150 for a while now. I see changes in my body measurements when I add in yoga and strength training. See if that helps you. Also, I loved "Mr. Shut up and trains" 30 day challenge. It is just a little different and got me motivated to work out again. You've got this. Deep breath.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I push and push myself and make sure I stay within heart rate. I just ran for 30mins on treadmill and then did 10 mins on treadmill of HIITs (30sec as 2.5mph with 45sec at 7.5mph). After 40mins of working out I only burned 321 calories! WTF!

Only?
  • Fit_Content
    Fit_Content Posts: 29 Member
    When I finally realized what relative calories burned were after buying a HRM, I finally saw new meaning to the quote:

"You can't outrun a bad diet

I have to lb it into my head that weight loss or maintaining weight is really 80% what I eat and 20% exercise.

But, I would exercise every day if I didn't lose weight because I feel better!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    I think 321 calories burned in 40 minutes is pretty good! Focus on the fact your able to run and burning calories! Keep it going!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    ok?
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    That's actually really good for your size. If you are indeed the person in the profile pic. If you were larger you would burn more. So don't expect to burn 1,000 calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

If you're holding back to stay within a "fat burning zone" please note that you don't have to, and can go as fast and hard as you want so long as you can finish your workout.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    WTF are you expecting? LOL
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Um, that's really good.

The average you can expect from running is around 10 calories a minute. You appear, from your ticker, to be light so you'll probably burn a little less than average. That sounds like you are right around where you should expect to be.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

A) That doesn't really look like a HIIT protocol

B) Worrying about cal burn for exercise is silly, who really cares
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    People have been exercising and working out long before they started calculating "calories burned." I think it is almost irrelevant if you are sweating, pushing yourself, and feel the workout. Who cares how many calories you burned. Personally, if it bothers you, stop counting them. Just do it because you need to and get out of your head.

You did good today. Enjoy that and stop setting yourself up to fail. She says nicely.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

If you're holding back to stay within a "fat burning zone" please note that you don't have to, and can go as fast and hard as you want so long as you can finish your workout.

Yes forget the "fat burning" zone. Yes, you'll burn a higher percent of fat in that some, but you won't burn as many calories as it is a lower intensity. If you workout in a higher "zone" the percent of fat burned may be lower but overall calories are higher, therefore the overall fat burned is too.

Plus the zones are pretty vague and not really accurate.

Bottom line ignore them for the purpose of "fat burning".
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Don't do boring workouts. Do things that are actually enjoyable.