Before & After Drinking More Water: Your Experiences?

Options
One core issue I've dealt with my entire life (since pre-school, even) is not drinking enough water. I was raised on Diet Dr. Pepper from as young as I can remember. I had a couple of years as a teen where I drank probably less than five bottles of water for the entire year.

I know I can't be the only one in this boat of not drinking enough water, though I doubt many were to my level of it (hopefully). I'm just wondering, for those of you who weren't getting enough water and then started drinking enough of it, what changes did you notice?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    I got a UTI because I teach, and things were so crazy that I stopped really drinking anything at all throughout the school day. This led to me only peeing maybe once or twice in a 24 hour period. This led to a nasty UTI. So, I started drinking more water again. The only real difference for me is that I pee more, and haven't gotten any more UTI's.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Even your Diet Dr. Pepper counts as water. Adding flavoring and carbonation to water doesn't make it no longer water.

I rarely drink plain water, but I stay hydrated with other beverages and foods. As long as you are not showing signs of dehydration, then you are fine.

I kind of shake my head at some of my co-workers who have the gallon-size bottle of water at their desk, constantly drinking (and making trips to the bathroom) all day.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I never really "didn't" drink water, so can't relate to that, but like others said, you're still getting water - just with other stuff along with it.

Personally I drink a fair bit of water, although I prefer fizzy water over plain, but can't afford enough of that, so plain water it is. I will add electrolytes if I'm drinking a ton of water or need to supplement due to activities.

I've done the gallon of water + all my other beverages thing, and that was WAY too much for me and actually made me ill (headaches and other side effects). I will be going to a gallon a day again soon, but due to my past experience will make that a gallon of fluid, and if electrolytes are needed, I'll allow adding them to that gallon (rather than 'in addition to').
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    One core issue I've dealt with my entire life (since pre-school, even) is not drinking enough water. I was raised on Diet Dr. Pepper from as young as I can remember. I had a couple of years as a teen where I drank probably less than five bottles of water for the entire year.

I know I can't be the only one in this boat of not drinking enough water, though I doubt many were to my level of it (hopefully). I'm just wondering, for those of you who weren't getting enough water and then started drinking enough of it, what changes did you notice?

In addition to what others said, I'd comment on the bolded: I hope you don't think bottled water is The Thing. Usually, it's just municipal tap water, or equivalent, from somewhere else . . . with a fancy name, an ecologically questionable plastic bottle, and a disproportionate price tag.

If you want to drink more water, get a reusable water bottle, and fill it from any safe tap water source. That'll be fine, and way cheaper (after you recover the price of the reusable bottle . . . and you may be able to pick one up free (they're frequent marketing giveaways at health fairs and such) or cheap).

Personally, I like a stainless steel water bottle, because I have a bad habit of dropping mine, and these are sturdy (but more expensive up front). I've had the same one for around 20 years now (for real) . . . every once in a while, I have to hammer out dings in it so it'll sit level. It's fine.

In more direct response to your question: There was a time when I got too little overall fluid intake for my level of fiber consumption, and had problems with constipation and resulting lower abdominal pain. With the constipation issue, my doctor told me to take a fiber supplement (because most people get too little fiber), which of course made the situation worse. Realizing I needed more fluid intake, and drinking more water, was something near a miracle cure. (That was when I got the stainless steel bottle, and started carrying it around with me. A strap is helpful.)

If your urine is a pale yellow color, and you don't have constipation or other symptoms of dehydration, you're probably getting enough fluid. Otherwise, if you need more, drink whatever fluids you like - tap water, water with flavoring, non-caloric fizzy water, coffee, tea, herb tea, soup, or any realistic combination you enjoy.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water unless I'm going on a hike (easier to take along), am in a hot country where it's good to always have sufficient fluid with me, or forget to put a teabag in my tea and only notice after having drunk half the mug. I still drink enough fluid.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I forget to drink water (or don’t like the taste elsewhere) when I travel, and I have been doing a lot of travel lately, and the pattern is very consistent. It starts when I limit water before a flight because I loath airplane bathrooms, lol.

Here’s the TMI version.

I get badly constipated, urine becomes dark yellow and smelly, I get peckish (dehydration can easily be interpreted as hunger and yet another reason I go way over calories while traveling), breath is bad, and I get what I privately call “shiny headaches”.

My skin also wrinkles noticeably when I’m dehydrated, and it especially shows in my face.

You’d think I’d have enough sense to get off my *kitten* and go get water, but during the event of traveling it just. doesn’t. happen. 🤷🏻‍♀️

When I come home and start slugging down water, eating fruit and veggies again (another thing that gets sidelined during travel), everything comes back to normal.

Really, the only thing you need to worry about is the color of your urine. Someone here - maybe @kshama2001 -has a nice chart that tells you the color to look for. The color of light straw is what you’re looking for.

You’re going to get water, even if “indirectly”, from coffee, tea, soda, salad, soup, salad, cottage cheese, fruits, raw and cooked vegetables, even meats, pretty much anything you eat except dry crackers, chips, cookies and such, which won’t have appreciable quantities.

Hydration doesn’t come from just glasses of water.

And don’t feel dumb. I had NO clue til the good folks here made me understand. That’s what’s so great about these boards.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

The biggest thing is just to keep hydrated and this can be done through multiple avenues, including diet soda. The worst part about drinking a lot of diet soda is that the acidity can cause a lot of damage to your teeth...but as far as hydration goes, diet soda is mostly water.

IMO, people often find notable differences in their health and how they feel if they've been chronically dehydrated and then focus on keeping properly hydrated. I'm not sure the beverage of choice makes much difference. I drink a lot of water in the summer as it is cool and refreshing in the summer heat...in the winter I drink more hot tea than I do water because I'm cold...also a lot of broth soups and whatnot...I don't notice any difference so long as I'm keeping properly hydrated.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information, everyone. I had thought that pop was dehydrating, but I guess I'd be dead if that were the case! And thank you for sharing some of your own stories of hydration!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I forget to drink water (or don’t like the taste elsewhere) when I travel, and I have been doing a lot of travel lately, and the pattern is very consistent. It starts when I limit water before a flight because I loath airplane bathrooms, lol.

Here’s the TMI version.

I get badly constipated, urine becomes dark yellow and smelly, I get peckish (dehydration can easily be interpreted as hunger and yet another reason I go way over calories while traveling), breath is bad, and I get what I privately call “shiny headaches”.

My skin also wrinkles noticeably when I’m dehydrated, and it especially shows in my face.

You’d think I’d have enough sense to get off my *kitten* and go get water, but during the event of traveling it just. doesn’t. happen. 🤷🏻‍♀️

When I come home and start slugging down water, eating fruit and veggies again (another thing that gets sidelined during travel), everything comes back to normal.

Really, the only thing you need to worry about is the color of your urine. Someone here - maybe @kshama2001 -has a nice chart that tells you the color to look for. The color of light straw is what you’re looking for.

You’re going to get water, even if “indirectly”, from coffee, tea, soda, salad, soup, salad, cottage cheese, fruits, raw and cooked vegetables, even meats, pretty much anything you eat except dry crackers, chips, cookies and such, which won’t have appreciable quantities.

Hydration doesn’t come from just glasses of water.

And don’t feel dumb. I had NO clue til the good folks here made me understand. That’s what’s so great about these boards.

Close - I don't post the chart - I comment on the chart.

My comment is that some supplements, especially B vitamins, color your urine.

But here's a chart:

5qv1m50m1t4d.png
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Hey, at least they got it partially right haha! What I recently questioned about this chart is if this is supposed to be for the urine itself, or for what you see in the toilet--for the toilet version is lighter with all that water already in there. I always assumed the latter, but then I was like, wait a second...the charts never specifies that! So it probably is actually the first, but I'd like to be sure just in case.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been a bad water drinker for…well forever. I have chosen coffee, tea and wine historically. I can honestly say that drinking 8-12 glasses a day now…I feel better. I have less pain in my body. My weight loss progresses more quickly with good water intake. I have better breath and less body odors. My skin is more clear, bright and less visible wrinkles. My psoriasis/rosacea is dramatically improved. I’m sleeping very well.

I dose my water with lemon juice. I don’t think I can stop drinking water now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    @kshama2001 Hey, at least they got it partially right haha! What I recently questioned about this chart is if this is supposed to be for the urine itself, or for what you see in the toilet--for the toilet version is lighter with all that water already in there. I always assumed the latter, but then I was like, wait a second...the charts never specifies that! So it probably is actually the first, but I'd like to be sure just in case.

I was pondering this myself. I live in a very old house which came with chamber pots, which I use, as there is no bathroom on my floor. But since the majority of us do not use chamber pots, I assume the charts are for urine in the toilet.