Seeing a trainer does not an expert make!

Options
2»

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Yeah well, my trainer says its crazy for people to do that damage to their bodies. 1/4 mile is the max anybody should do at one time. He really knows his stuff.

:huh: :noway: :laugh:
    wtf?
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    My friend is a physical therapist and she gets pretty tired of hearing people say "my trainer says..." Their training and expertise vary greatly so I won't say anymore, but check out this article, and share it with your SIL's trainer!
    http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100138677
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I tend to not talk to my family about my weight loss efforts or wanting to be healthier. I know I'll get a lot of those "expert" opinions that I dont need and dont want.

exactly. keep on keepin' on.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Evidently there are runners in Mexico that wear nothing but sandals while running because your feet are designed to handle the impact and our fancy shoes are preventing our feet from doing their job.

Did you ever see "Last Man Standing"? They took these guys and sent them all around the world to compete in various tribal contests and rites .... one of them was a marathon wearing sandals. Though I didn't know that was why they only wore sandals.

... hey, let's all get crazy and do damage to our bodies! :devil:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that running shoes alter the natural form and enourage runners to strike on the heel and roll up to the toe which creates a lot of impact. barefoot runners seem to run in a more natural and less-injury prone way. there was a youtube video demonstrating this on a treadmill if you want to google it.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

BECAUSE - that same ''trainer'' is also her Mom's trainer. And this is how my Dad's conversation went with her Mom at dinner yday...I just listened to it & let it go in one ear & out the other.

My Dad: I saw that 5k you're (me) doing in August advertised in the paper again today.
    Her Mom: I'm surprised people are still signing up for that, my trainer is really against cardio.
    My Dad: Really? Why?
    Her Mom: because its really really unhealthy to run more than a quarter mile at a time. It's too demanding on the body.
    My Dad: Wow, I wouldn't have thought that, there are so many healthy, fit runners out there doing it every day.
    Her Mom: Yeah well, my trainer says its crazy for people to do that damage to their bodies. 1/4 mile is the max anybody should do at one time. He really knows his stuff.

I have never heard such a load of old claptrap in all my life.

Quarter of a mile max??? I am so glad I do not have that "personal trainer" training me - they know sod all!!!
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that running shoes alter the natural form and enourage runners to strike on the heel and roll up to the toe which creates a lot of impact. barefoot runners seem to run in a more natural and less-injury prone way. there was a youtube video demonstrating this on a treadmill if you want to google it.

My son, now 18, still runs the way young children do in the playground, on the balls of his feet with his heels never touching the ground and can run effortlessly for ages that way. A guy I train with taught himself to run that way (he runs everywhere barefeet). From what I can see on the web, there is a lot of heel first/toe first debate and I'm not into running to really follow it. But I was curious enough to experiment to see whether walking long distances with a more "neutral" landing (rather than heavily heel first) felt different (I have had a lot of knee problems and even a lot of walking makes them stiff). Interestingly I found that I had no discomfort whatsoever in my knees after walking long distances that way. It felt to me to be far more efficient. I have heard some say, and it seems logical to me, that landing heavily heel first is almost like "braking" on each step and that it sends a shock up through your knees and lower back. And apparently there are running shoes designed to promote more of a "toe first" step. Would be interested to know what people into a lot of running have found, whether they have experimented with this, or whether they've thought about how they land on their feet when running.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have to respond. I think it's time to get a nicer friend and don't listen to the noise they are making cuz they are insecure. Not all trainers are well adversed in the fitness arena. Hope you find someone else nicer to work out with. If you want to keep running you should and do what is best for you.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Haha, yeah you're hearing a lot of noise from people that are still out there experimenting. You've found the best way to do this journey and the best thing you can do is give THEM advice. I've lost 50 lbs and I've learned a lot from my journey so far. Counting calories and using a heart rate monitor to track calories burn, never did it before this year. I hope you inspire others.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Keep all that frustration bottled up and use it at your 5k. I bet it makes that race a breeze for you. You're doing great and that's all that matters.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You know, it's a shame they didn't believe that in schools ... I may have received better grades in PE if they didn't force us to run further than 1/4 mile!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    OMG...and I just reread the part about cardio and running being bad for you...I wonder where the 'trainer' was certified?

I think maybe the trainer is "certifiable":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, you know what works for YOU!! So keep on keepin' on. I have two friends that are on the "I can't lose weight" bandwagon, and I have pitched MFP to them until I am blue in the face. One of them has made an effort to log her foods, but she is under so much stress due to family and financial issues that the best she can do is not gain anymore. The other spends all her energy coming up with reasons why she "can't" do anything about her situation.

You would think my ticker would give her a clue that what I am doing works, but it is like talking to a wall. Good luck with your run, JStarnes. I am a ways away from thinking about doing anything that strenuous, and I am older than you, so it may never happen, but I applaud you for having the goal, and dreaming the dream.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    You know, it's a shame they didn't believe that in schools ... I may have received better grades in PE if they didn't force us to run further than 1/4 mile!

:laugh: yes very amusing.

Approximately 30 years ago, the UK went that way you know. Instead of "forcing" kids to run and jump about, they let them do more docile things in games and PE, stuff that wouldn't entail them getting out of breath.

The result? Obesity on a scale that was unheard of when they did make kids run and jump about.

The schools have moved back now to how it used to be and good on them I say, kids sitting about being lazy at that young age is a crime, it is bad enough now with them sitting in front of their computers and Xboxes all day :wink: