Losing weight on a liquid/soft food diet

Options
Alialena
Alialena Posts: 28 Member
Hello, hello everyone I'm back again but trying to lose weight on a liquid/soft food diet. I have severe gastroparesis, which is a condition that causes paralysis in my stomach so food is difficult to digest so this is what my doctor wants me to eat. Any suggestions or assistance?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I’ve had post viral gastroparesis a number of times and my GP told me to eat plain boiled rice or plain pasta, the emphasis is on bland soft food as far as I know.

Gastroparesis is, as I understand, a condition where the normal peristalsis is interrupted, so food does not traverse through the intestines as it would normally.

The idea behind the plain rice/pasta is to rest the gut (at least for the post viral type of gastroparesis) and it’s always worked for me within 2-3 days. I appreciate this may not be the same with chronic gastroparesis but I just thought I’d offer my experience with a similar issue.

I do know how uncomfortable the condition is though, appalling gut cramps in my experience, so despite how boring the plain diet is, it’s worth it when I need to resort to that to fix the issue.

As far as losing weight on such a restrictive diet - it’s really hard, for me at least, to overeat, portion wise, with such bland food. There’s not a lot of pleasure associated with plain boiled rice etc so I do tend to ingest fewer calories naturally when I’m in that situation. Therefore I do drop a bit of weight.