Overeating

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I really like the way this thread has progressed. It seems some of you who argued against food addiction-like-behavior being real are starting to come around. That's a very good thing, even though some of us have been making this argument for over a decade and being shouted down for the most part.

There is a definite malfunctioning of the reward system for some of us around certain foods just like some people have a problem with alcohol and drugs, but not everyone who tries them does go on to have a serious problem. If you're not one of those people, please allow for the possibility that it exists and thank the Universe you've been spared this issue.

I'm glad the mainstream press/science/literature is coming to understand food-addiction-like behavior is not a psychological issue that can be solved by teaching ourselves to eat one cookie or one carefully weighed-out portion of chips.

As. If.
    One cookie at a time is a slippery slope for a lot of people, but it's certainly a decent working hypothesis.

Personally, I can eat something like pasta, carbonara for example that is calorie dense and I feel quite satisfied and have no desire to eat more than what I put in front of me, and sometimes it's been a lot and when comparing that with say 1oreo cookie, I find myself wanting to eat another one and it's has nothing to do with being hungry but more about the chemical reaction in my brain. Cheers

I wish I'd read this BEFORE I went to the chocolate store last night, lol. Eh, who am I kidding? I was definitely in the market for self-medicating with food and this would not have helped. I need to get this into my CBT log ASAP, but my thoughts and feelings were definitely suppressed.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,342 Member
    @kshama2001

This whole thread is about not beating ourselves up over our biology.

Chocolate > Wine or lots of other stuff.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    guilt is NOT a bad thing. its what keeps us from doing harmful things to ourselves and others...and reminds us to prevent repeating negative behaviors weve done in the past.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,143 Member
    guilt is NOT a bad thing. its what keeps us from doing harmful things to ourselves and others...and reminds us to prevent repeating negative behaviors weve done in the past.

To a degree.

If I'm posting on MFP that i feel guilty about overeating, my needle is past the point where my guilt is serving as a useful reminder and well into the range where it is acting as an impediment to self management 🥺🤔

Also I don't really need guilt to avoid harming others... if I'm having guilt over harming others, again things have probably moved well past the correct position for that needle!🤯
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 456 Member
    edited January 2023
    regarding guilt - nods and recognizes guilt as a concious feeling/thought pattern that can prompt us to do better - with eating and particularly yoyo dieting - over time, stop/start, lose/gain can become an increasingly vicious cycle involving feelings of failure and self-recrimmination/self-flagelation/emotional self-abuse. It can be helpful to de-link the idea of 'good' or 'bad' eating - types of food, amounts of food and just look at what is - assess what is, make a strategy going forward, practice that, then reassess, adjust strategy, try more.

it can be difficult to break a habit of guilty remorse and beating ourselves up emotionally when we "fail" a goal or in our eating.... what's the point? sometimes it simply means we have not learned the new2us or improved the particular goal or skill we are practicing "YET" or that we just had a goof up and can get right back at it. It is forward looking process that often includes a conscious choice to choose to look forward to the next thing instead of dwell in the oopsie.

once stumbled across this idea - any complex skill starts with learning the basics, practicing them and building on them - think of a triple twist high-dive - you don't start there... you learn to get in the water, float, hold your breath, blow bubbles, kick, use your arms, tread water, jump in, maybe cannon ball, dive from the side, a lower board and build up the skill - a coach helps the learning diver assess what happened and suggests the next thing to try - the coach says well, not quite yet, let's try the next thing instead of chewing the learner out... It's ok to be our own coach - no need to chew ourselves out... recognize the feelings of guilt/shame/remorse that pop up, then consciously set them aside and look forward. It's a life skill I wish I had learned much earlier, especially when it comes to my personal eating patterns. It also is a way to take a pro-active approach forward.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2023
    glassyo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I really like the way this thread has progressed. It seems some of you who argued against food addiction-like-behavior being real are starting to come around. That's a very good thing, even though some of us have been making this argument for over a decade and being shouted down for the most part.

There is a definite malfunctioning of the reward system for some of us around certain foods just like some people have a problem with alcohol and drugs, but not everyone who tries them does go on to have a serious problem. If you're not one of those people, please allow for the possibility that it exists and thank the Universe you've been spared this issue.

I'm glad the mainstream press/science/literature is coming to understand food-addiction-like behavior is not a psychological issue that can be solved by teaching ourselves to eat one cookie or one carefully weighed-out portion of chips.

As. If.
    One cookie at a time is a slippery slope for a lot of people, but it's certainly a decent working hypothesis.

Personally, I can eat something like pasta, carbonara for example that is calorie dense and I feel quite satisfied and have no desire to eat more than what I put in front of me, and sometimes it's been a lot and when comparing that with say 1oreo cookie, I find myself wanting to eat another one and it's has nothing to do with being hungry but more about the chemical reaction in my brain. Cheers

I wish I'd read this BEFORE I went to the chocolate store last night, lol. Eh, who am I kidding? I was definitely in the market for self-medicating with food and this would not have helped. I need to get this into my CBT log ASAP, but my thoughts and feelings were definitely suppressed.

Chocolate store?

n4y83ly0a9j8.jpg
    @glassyo

https://www.fedeleschocolates.com

my239ppd3yul.png
  • kshama2001
    @kshama2001

This whole thread is about not beating ourselves up over our biology.

Chocolate > Wine or lots of other stuff.

Yes, I was quite a drinker until the late 90s and have been marveling how I haven't gone back to that during this difficult time I am in, and how much easier it was for me to get a handle on alcohol that it is for food.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

As. If.

Chocolate store?

n4y83ly0a9j8.jpg
    @glassyo

https://www.fedeleschocolates.com

my239ppd3yul.png

Or there’s these bits of tiny calorie laden heaven:
    krifwtn6p0nv.jpeg

Way better than fancy Belgian pralines. I know because I ate several pounds of Belgian, followed by most of a box of Sees when I got home. Drowning my dashed Christmas plans in chocolate, damn you Covid. Or…..consider it…. Taste testing on y’all’s behalf. (sorry/not sorry, @Lietchi)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    lwag1990 wrote: »
    I am beating myself up because I’ve had a horrible 3 days of overeating. Wanted to stop but just continued. Any tips on how to overcome the guilt?

Granting that the OP hasn't been in the Community in a few days . . . any other tips for helping other new folks with this kind of issue who might be reading?

Maybe a "Chocolate Celebration" thread over in Food would be a good thing. I like chocolate nearly as much as the next gal, and have a source to recommend. Apologies for being a buzz kill here. It's January - cold, dark, grumpy.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,734 Member
    edited January 2023

Way better than fancy Belgian pralines. I know because I ate several pounds of Belgian, followed by most of a box of Sees when I got home. Drowning my dashed Christmas plans in chocolate, damn you Covid. Or…..consider it…. Taste testing on y’all’s behalf. (sorry/not sorry, @Lietchi)

@springlering62 You're forgiven, it's not your fault you're American and have no taste :mrgreen: kidding kidding, but I did see a fascinating piece about how different countries have different preferences in taste/aroma for their chocolate.
    My BF bought several kilos of Neuhaus chocolates right before Christmas (in bulk from the outlet store) - even after splitting them with his parents we had about 3lbs of chocolates :blush: Some types of Neuhaus I can resist without trouble, others are so yummy that it's a good thing the box is in the garage, out of sight. The fact that the box still isn't empty is quite an accomplishment! (mostly on behalf of my BF who has a huge sweet tooth, I tend to prefer salty snacks mostly)

*sorry for the digression*
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    OP, or other new folks struggling with eating and guilt, here's a message you can take from the digression:

Those posts are largely people who've been here on MFP a long time, lost a bunch of weight, mostly maintained that loss, maybe with some ups and downs. You're seeing that they do give in to temptation sometimes, sometimes even to extremes, but that that is normal and absolutely recoverable. You can see that their attitudes are maybe faux-rueful, but pretty playful. It's not guilt, self-recrimination, self-hatred, or catastrophizing. They ate the chocolates, then went on with their healthy routine, pretty much.

Some indulgences can even fit in along the route to weight loss, without impairing the process even slightly.

Others who want to talk about chocolate joy, please go here instead of this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10881660/lets-talk-pro-chocolate-real-kinds-we-like-how-we-eat-use-them#latest
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,725 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lwag1990 wrote: »
    I am beating myself up because I’ve had a horrible 3 days of overeating. Wanted to stop but just continued. Any tips on how to overcome the guilt?

Granting that the OP hasn't been in the Community in a few days . . . any other tips for helping other new folks with this kind of issue who might be reading?

Maybe a "Chocolate Celebration" thread over in Food would be a good thing. I like chocolate nearly as much as the next gal, and have a source to recommend. Apologies for being a buzz kill here. It's January - cold, dark, grumpy.

I bet some chocolate would perk you right up!

😁
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,143 Member
    edited January 2023
    I have to admit that my latest favorite chocolate comes wrapped outside of ice cream on a magnum stick. The first one is not too hard to accommodate at maintenance calories... by the third one we have a bit of a different story! Still at CAD$4.99 a box on sale they keep insisting on walking home with me! :naughty:

Correct analysis; but boo choco buzz kill Ann! :heartbreak: I vote with @glassyo that we should collect some chocolate or better yet some interesting cheese for you! :lol::kissing_heart:
  • mrsmeteor
    mrsmeteor Posts: 36 Member

Disagree, very much so in this case. Guilt will not stop OP from doing this again, I promise you. Guilt is a reaction. I honestly believe that proaction would help more. I don't know if proaction is a real word or not but what I mean is that if there's something that set OP off on a three day bender, it would be better to figure that out and learn a healthy way to deal with it instead of eating everything in sight.
  • LifeChangz
    LifeChangz Posts: 456 Member
    edited January 2023
    love the new pro-chocolate thread!