Fiber

I’m new to this message board. What are some of everyone’s favorite high fiber lower calories snacks
Tagged:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Most veggies and fruits, obviously.

I usually find a snack with a little protein more sating, so I'm willing to spend a few more calories to get that. Some I like that have a decent amount of fiber:

Dry roasted soy beans/edamame, around 120 calories per ounce, 13g protein, 5-6g fiber.

Crispy broad beans. There are various brands, but I usually buy Enlightened Bada Bean Bada Boom. Usually about 4g fiber, 7g protein, 110 calories per ounce - varies a little by flavor.

• ReyJ412
    ReyJ412 Posts: 12 Member
    I eat the following, not necessarily for the fiber, but the fiber comes along:
    baby carrots with hummus
    baby carrots drizzled with honey or sometimes dipped in honey, popcorn popped with a little avocado oil, seasoned with any number of low/no sodium spices. Odd pairings are quite tasty. For example, brown monk sugar and hot paprika with just a bit a nutritional yeast is like a flavor explosion.
    I'm also grind up Quaker whole oats into flour and bake various snacks with the flour with Monk sugar as the sweetener. Banana bread or cookies with the oat flour is a fiber bomb lol.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Wasa crackers with hummus, or hummus and sardines
    Or
    Wasa crackers and liverwurst
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited January 2023
    Here: charts and graphs galore:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

I shoot for 800g of whole fruit and/or vegetables and legumes per day. At a minimum I have five servings. I also eat tree nuts. I eat at least two servings of whole grains per day. I get plenty of fiber!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Besides fruit or hummus and crackers, I'll sometimes have a piece of whole grain bread with avocado and seeds.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    edited January 2023
    Carrots
    Celery sticks
    Plain air popped popcorn
    Beef jerky
    Apples (I understand now where the “Apple a day” thing came from)

If you need something to make the celery sticks palatable, Greek yogurt whipped with a little pepper and lemon juice and allowed to sit for a little while to meld flavors. Or drain your Greek yogurt in a strainer or cheesecloth overnight and it makes a thick Greek Cream Cheese. There’s a lovely low cal Greek cream cheese by Green Mountain but I haven’t seen any down south since the pandemic.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,811 Member
    edited January 2023
    When I want fiber, and when I do it's for it's satiating effects mostly, that's also low in calories I look for options that are higher in water content as opposed to carbs fiber or fat options, that also have a protein to calorie ratio that's high, then it's hard to beat greens, and I'll make salads, big butt salads. If I want to up my protein, which is highly satiating as well, the highest among macronutrients then I might also add tuna or skinless chicken both of which are low in fat and high in water content, which translates into a protein to energy ratio per calorie that's hard to beat and because this will satiate me longer, that translates to eating less, if my goal was weight loss. cheers.