Runners - Outside or Inside?

Options
Topic pretty much says it all, which do you prefer? and why?

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Outside, because I hate treadmills, and don't have a gym membership.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Inside.just because I like running very late at night.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Outside! Love it. Trail running, especially. Feels more challenging, plus there are more things for me to focus on when I'm outside.
  • lablueluna
    Options
    Just starting but outside is my preference. Much more engaged in the exercise when going somewhere in nature. However, when it's hot and humid, inside at gym on treadmill.
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    when i first started running, i stayed inside on a treadmill. it wasn't until my first race several months later that i ever ran outside. it's a completely different experience. now i rarely ever use a treadmill because i get bored after a mile or so -- but outside i can keep going. i do like to change up my route a little bit, and it does help that i live in a beautiful area where the weather is temperate year round and the scenery is gorgeous. like other runners, i do also enjoy trail running although i don't get to do much of that anymore.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Two reasons, I usually run late at night, and I am extremely clumsy.

Running in the dark when you're accident prone is just asking for trouble on so many levels
  • codeezy21
    codeezy21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Outside!! I love running somewhere...the best runs are me running, lost in my music and eventually getting lost and having to gps my way back home.
  • flyingmickey
    flyingmickey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Outside with my dog.

I don't have a treadmill and don't want to make room for one. I'm way to cheap to pay for a gym membership.
  • NikkiG_87
    Options
    Thanks for the replys, all! I'm restarting a running program after an injury left me unable to do it for a few weeks, I think I'll change it up for the first few weeks and experiment with both until I decide but it seems like I'm leaning towards outside
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Outside! Hate treadmills
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Steady state, outside 100% I can't run a 10k to treadmill city.

HIIT sprints however are all inside, all the time.
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Outside, hands down. Fresh air, sunlight, constantly changing terrain and scenery. Freedom at its best.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I swear I saw a treadmill in Game of Thrones being used as a torture device.

Outside for me. Treadmill is a last resort. One of my 2013 goals was zero treadmill miles. Still on pace.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

dK9MYCJ.gif

I run & walk. The thing that tears me out of the house, even when I'm tired, is the scenery.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Outside. Only time I ever ran on a treadmill was when I had my feet checked out for fitting running shoes and the clerk was rolling on the floor laughing at my desperate attempts to keep balance.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Outside for me. Treadmill is a last resort. One of my 2013 goals was zero treadmill miles. Still on pace.

Haha I love this answer. I do use the treadmill occasionally but think I will make running outside only one of my September goals.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Outside. Why would you pay to run indoors when you can run outside on variable terrain and have interesting things to look at. Sun, Cold, wind, rain and snow it all can be fun and you don't have to pay a subscription.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Outside every time, love the smell, the weather on my skin. I get to run past people's houses when they are cooking and smell all the different foods they are cooking.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Topic pretty much says it all, which do you prefer? and why?

I used to run on my treadmill, indoors all the time because I would get shin splints if I ran outside. However, I switched to outside after I had my gait analysed and had new shoes fitted and I had that done, after I ran a 5k race and realized that running outside was a little "different" to running on the treadmill.

I adore running, it has changed my life and I cannot praise it enough. I thank God that I am able to do this activity, seriously.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Outside, unless there's freezing rain or a thunderstorm. I'm very fortunate to live very close to a recreational path that runs along the Ottawa River. I get to see all sorts of wildlife (deer, duck, herons, rabbits etc etc.) and experience the sheer joy of sunrise along the river.

The treadmill is a useful tool but I could never describe it as fun, running outside can be sheeer bliss (even in the winter if you dress properly)