Runners - Outside or Inside?

Options

Replies

• CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Outside for sure. Rain or shine, snow or sleet. I haven't run indoors for several years, and still manage to run close to 100 miles per month, even in the great white north. I love seeing other people be active. I love the fresh air, the sun... nothing is better.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Outside - for all the reasons listed above, and also b/c it helps me feel in touch with my community. Both my physical community - I've seen my entire town by foot, seen what's happening on all the streets, etc. - but also the community of runners. As a former non-runner, I like being able to consider myself part of that community - and that happens by getting out there, saying hi, learning the etiquette, etc.
  • HeartRN77
    HeartRN77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do both weekends usually outside since during the week I have too get up very early to exercise I feel that I get a better run in outside
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Outdoors, all weathers.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting into to it but I find that I run so much better (longer & faster) outside than on a treadmill! If the outdoors could be climate controlled, free of creepy men that bug you while you run (my newest experience) and loose dogs then I think I would run out there all the time! I will still use my treadmill when I have to but I definitely prefer it outside!
  • AisforAmazing19
    Options
    Topic pretty much says it all, which do you prefer? and why?

Outside, definitely. Running is way more fun for me when I am going somewhere. Plus, I like to drive past places I've run or hills I've done and think, wow, I can't believe I ran that far/long!

That said, it sucks during weeks like this where it was 100 degrees and 90+% humidity all week, but you take the good with the bad. I spent the week looking at cold weather gear to remind myself it's only temporary!
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Definitely outside although years ago I did it inside. Right now, I run 5ks on the weekends and my training runs during the week are done in the early morning in the dark.. If its a training run, I like to get it done before work and I find outside is not as boring. I have found that when I run on a treadmill, it aggravates my feet problems. I have bunions that don't hurt if I wear the right shoes/dress shoes/ etc... However, even with good sneakers, the pounding of the treadmill hurts my feet.

edited to add. I don't mind running in rain, snow, etc.... As long as its not lightning or thunder as that is not safe. To me, it just adds variety and challenge.
  • harleenfquinzel
    Options
    Outside. It's so much more liberating than being stuck on a treadmill. :smile:
  • lakebett
    Options
    Outside as well. Trail running is a very meditative experience.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Outside. I get bored with it so quickly when I do it on a machine.
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love running outside in the fresh air with my dog :happy: but if I'm running more then 10kms I run on the treadmill so I don't kill the poor dog!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Both for different reasons.

Outside: fresh air, more challenging, less boring
    Treadmill: safe, can listen to music, climate control
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside now. I started my running experience on the treadmill at the gym. But eventually got bored when the longer times starting coming up. I actually feel I was getting more shin splints on the treadmill than outside as well.
    Now I pretty much run outside all the time, unless there is a fire locally and smoke and ash are in the air, or unless its to dang hot to run outside, then I go to the treadmill, or push my running to a different day!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Outside....

1. running in one place and staring at the wall is friggin' boring
    2. i've never entered a race that was done on a treadmill
    3. even with elevation adjustments on the treadmill, you can never truly mimic the experience of running outside and the natural elevation changes and hills
    4. fresh air and sunshine vs. stank *kitten* gym smell and that heavy gym air
    5. i can always change my route when i need a change of scenery...and I can do it anywhere, i don't have to go to a gym or worry about my hotel having a treadmill when i'm traveling, etc...i just get up, go outside and run.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Outside.

I like fresh air, real running, and a view that changes.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Outside always!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Inside, due to foot and ankle problems. The adjustable deck on my treadmill allows me to do more miles than I could do outside. It's boring though. I do miss the sights and sounds of outdoor running. Good music and a varied routine are a must on a treadmill.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Only started venturing outside in the last month but find it far preferable. Inside can only be described as for fitness and whilst I am trying to get fit outside is starting to feel like recreation. Inside I feel every ache, out of breath and have to look at my feet or end up wobbling all over the place, outside I seem to find a decent pace & rhythm, the view distracts me from my breathing and muscle aches and I can just seem to run further and faster. Due to time & work I have 1 indoor session a week & 1 outdoor (plus other gym stuff so as not to kill my knees) but when I'm lighter I hope I can get more outdoor runs in.
  • spiritgurl
    spiritgurl Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Outdoors...I like the changing scenery around me, the fresh air and I can change my route to suite my mood on any day.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    outside.
    fresh air,nature, you are alone with your own thoughts. I take 3 road that always implies running along the water (lake: East,west and south!). A inside treadmill can not beat that.!