Hi! I’m new…

Options
…sort of! I’ve had an account since Palm Pilots, but haven’t used it in almost 8 years—during which time I gained about 40 lbs. I’m back and determined, and I’m hoping joining the community will provide some motivation. I’d like to see substantial progress by my 50th birthday in September…but even more than that I want to wake up that morning knowing I stuck with it, regardless of the result.

Replies

• BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Congratulations with your decision. Since you already lost 40 pounds, you already know something that does the trick. Unless there was something particularly unpleasant about that, all you have to do is start again where you left off. You are golden, because most beginning dieters don't have a clue. You do.

Success, you can do this. You know you can.
  • Pbrogan
    Pbrogan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That is so kind! Unfortunately I gained the 40 lbs, but I very much appreciate the encouragement. It’s true that I’m good at the counting and measuring part of this, having used the app off and on over the years. Where I run into trouble is getting distracted, overthinking it, changing my plan, and moving on to a whole new project. Thank you again for the welcome. It made my whole day.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    Pbrogan wrote: »
    That is so kind! Unfortunately I gained the 40 lbs, but I very much appreciate the encouragement. It’s true that I’m good at the counting and measuring part of this, having used the app off and on over the years. Where I run into trouble is getting distracted, overthinking it, changing my plan, and moving on to a whole new project. Thank you again for the welcome. It made my whole day.
    I had misread your message. I thought that you had lost 40 pounds and gained them back. Sorry about that. The last thing I want to do is discourage you. That said, the fact remains: you *can* do it. All it takes is some knowledge, mainly about yourself, some willpower to resist temptation, and some patience to get to where you have to go. It is a very simply process, if not necessarily always an easy one, but once you have found a method that fits your lifestyle, it will be smooth sailing. Success!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,620 Member
    Options
    Pbrogan wrote: »

This time stick to it. That's all it takes.

You mentioned changing your plan. One good step is to make difficult, measurable, and attainable goals. What goals have you set for yourself this time around?

Next you need reasonable strategies to attain those goals. What strategies are you employing this time?

Don't overthink it. Consume less energy than you expend, and you will lose weight over time. Don't rush it. Keep tracking what you eat. Change your calorie goal down as your weight drops (it takes less fuel to move a smaller body). If you have a bad day or week, don't quit. Just start back up. Don't wait for the beginning of the next week or month - just get back on track right away.

You can do it. I mean, if I can anyone can. Look long term, but work on today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    Good advice above!

I'd add this, just as a point of perspective: 40 pounds gain in 8 years implies that you've averaged very roughly 48 calories above your maintenance calories daily over that time period. Tiny, huh? ;)

Now, I'm sure you'd like to lose it a little faster than you gained it, and maybe would like to lose more than just that 40 (you didn't say) . . . but the implication is that quite moderate changes in habits can have a big impact, over a period of time.

In fact, sometimes it's easier to stick with a moderate (so less difficult) plan, and get to goal weight in the same or less calendar time, then when shooting for an aggressive loss rate that has deprivation-triggered overeating episodes or even breaks in the action because of burnout. Just something to think about.

Speaking of plans and goals, personally I like process goals, rather than outcome goals, because we have near-total control over process. For example, "lose X pounds by Y date" is an outcome goal. "Log my food every day - good, bad or indifferent" is a process goal, as is "exercise at least 3 days a week in some form". YMMV. Good process leads to good outcomes.

Best wishes!

• BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Good advice above!

I'd add this, just as a point of perspective: 40 pounds gain in 8 years implies that you've averaged very roughly 48 calories above your maintenance calories daily over that time period. Tiny, huh? ;)

Now, I'm sure you'd like to lose it a little faster than you gained it, and maybe would like to lose more than just that 40 (you didn't say) . . . but the implication is that quite moderate changes in habits can have a big impact, over a period of time.

In fact, sometimes it's easier to stick with a moderate (so less difficult) plan, and get to goal weight in the same or less calendar time, then when shooting for an aggressive loss rate that has deprivation-triggered overeating episodes or even breaks in the action because of burnout. Just something to think about.

Speaking of plans and goals, personally I like process goals, rather than outcome goals, because we have near-total control over process. For example, "lose X pounds by Y date" is an outcome goal. "Log my food every day - good, bad or indifferent" is a process goal, as is "exercise at least 3 days a week in some form". YMMV. Good process leads to good outcomes.

Best wishes!
    That is a way of saying it I hadn't thought of before, but you are right. In fact, it is exactly what I do, I just didn't think of it in those terms. Well done!