Hi
I am Mary and really need to get rid of this weight for good. In the past few years I’ve had multiple surgeries and every time I am laid up I gain a few more pounds. I am currently recovering from hip replacement and doing well, retiring in April and my only child is getting married in August. I definitely have things to work towards.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,732 Member
    Hi, Mary,

It sounds like you have some great reasons to give this goal your time and attention.

I've for sure noticed that active, healthy weight friends around my age seem to need fewer surgeries and meds, get sick/injured less often, and recover faster in those case where they are injured or ill or post-surgical, when compared to similar-age friends who are overweight and inactive. (I'm 67, as context.)

That visceral realization is honestly part of what got me on the road to weight loss at age 59, and kept me going into weight maintenance after loss. I feel like it has paid off: I have less pain less often, and just generally better quality of life.

Have you settled on a plan for your next few weeks or months, to head toward your goals? I'm sure you'll want to eat nutritiously and around weight-maintenance calories for a while if you're still in early stages of recovering from hip replacement: Calories and nutrition help that process go well. After that, what next?

If you're not sure, the Community here can be a great place to get strategies to try. There will be lots of different things that some will say are the Absolute Best, but I think that everyone truly wants to help others be successful, despite varying opinions about the best approach.

From reading here over a few years now, it seems to me that a variety of strategies can potentially work. The key is to find one that's the easiest and most natural for us as individuals. We each have different preferences, strengths, challenges, and life situations, after all.

Wishing you speedy and smooth healing from your surgery, and good results on whatever path you choose to weight loss!