Just joined a gym..!

Options
lolapedia88
lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I'm 25, super overweight and out of shape. A local gym was running a special- $99/year so I joined. I've gone two days so far and my legs are on fire!! I am so sore and just can't believe how much it hurts. Mostly doing cardio and may add weights later on. Also considering taking a Pilates or Yoga class. Any suggestions or motivation to help me go on? I have over 100 pounds to lose and should go back and workout today but just feel super sore! Agh....

Jessie

Replies

• bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Nice work on joining the gym!! :happy:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on beginning an exercise program! One idea to stay motivated is to not overdue it. Some soreness can be normal when starting a new exercise program but being in so much pain is probably not going to motivate you to keep going.

Find what you enjoy doing, and start slow, building up over time. Adding some kind of resistance training will help you retain muscle as you lose fat. :flowerforyou:
  • lolapedia88
    Options
    Thanks!
  • lolapedia88
    Options
    Yeah I expected soreness but it's intense! Haha thanks
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Does the gym have some sort of intro session with a trainer or something like that? I know some gyms do. If they do, definitely use that.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yeah I expected soreness but it's intense! Haha thanks

I sympathize! Maybe some ibuprofen, lots of water and rest could help. Otherwise, just time to get over the soreness!

ETA: Take a look at the Eat, Train, Progress group here on MFP. The folks there are a great source of information in the areas of fitness and nutrition. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    that's so awesome. I don't have the balls to join a gym. at least for another 50 pounds. so proud of you. get it girl!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I would advise booking in for a programme with a trainer where they can design you a programme to follow that is tailored to your specific needs. You don't want to go in too heavy and then find that you don't keep it up because it hurts.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    So I'm 25, super overweight and out of shape. A local gym was running a special- $99/year so I joined. I've gone two days so far and my legs are on fire!! I am so sore and just can't believe how much it hurts. Mostly doing cardio and may add weights later on. Also considering taking a Pilates or Yoga class. Any suggestions or motivation to help me go on? I have over 100 pounds to lose and should go back and workout today but just feel super sore! Agh....

Jessie
    The really strange thing is, you eventually crave that soreness. Its like a badge of honor, good workout. Welcome to the family :heart:
  • Sweetnothing78
    Sweetnothing78 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Set attainable goals. Success is very motivating!
  • sheard59
    Options
    good job joining a gym. My success was based on I didn't overdo it at first. But the more I worked at it the more I wanted to do.
  • lunaphilia
    lunaphilia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who doesn't dare to join a gym because im scared of being judge?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Take a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to learn the proper form.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Am i the only one who doesn't dare to join a gym because im scared of being judge?

Most people at the gym are there to get a workout. They're not paying attention to you.
  • lolapedia88
    Options
    Take a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to learn the proper form.

Yeah I just don't wanna spend a ton on a trainer ..
    :-/
  • lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Always do a Warm Up and Cool down! stretching your muscles before and after a workout is a MUST!! T
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    bravo you for making such a commitment:

I would advise, though, that you start out slower. You're carrying a lot of weight and there's a good chance you could injure yourself. Then you end up in physical therapy instead of the gym, and you have to start the whole thing over.

How do I know? I just did the same thing to myself. After weeks of PT, I am just starting back on my exercise. Her orders: Start with 5-10 minutes. Honest. If that goes well, at 5-10 minutes each time. Every new exercise after that, same thing. The buildup is much quicker really than it seems like it will be...within a week or two you're at a good level. But you avoid pain, avoid injury and actually end up getting more exercise because you're not sidelined.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining the gym.

Slow down on your workouts and alternate the hard workouts with something easier like walking. However, in the case of being horribly sore today, you might want to just take it very easy and walk only if you can.
  • lunaphilia
    lunaphilia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i just feel unsafe at times. Yeaps. But thank you for telling me this... :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Most people at the gym are there to get a workout. They're not paying attention to you.

And, besides this, you can make buddies with people who workout. I go to the gym most week mornings at 5:30 and love seeing the same people there.
This discussion has been closed.