Excess Skin 255SW 232CW 180GOAL

I’m currently 33 and really focussing on trying to lose my Post divorce, post Covid, post career change weight. I’ve always had extremely fluctuating weight my whole life but hitting 255 was a new peak I never want to see again.

A big worry for me is excess loose skin. Where I live there are no programs to help pay for the surgeries to get rid of it. And I’m hoping that my big “treat” for myself would be a “boob job” when I finally do get to my goal weight.

Has anyone actually found that anything helps.
I’m exercising and losing at a pretty reasonable pace. 1ish lbs a week. Nothing wild.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,366 Member
    edited February 2023
    Just keep doing the next right thing to get to a healthier weight.

The skin will continue to "shrink" for probably 1-2 years post weight loss, so just keep going and try not to give it too much thought. You'll look and feel so much better in every way with less weight.

I lost about 80 pounds (from 220 to 140ish) when I was in my fifties, and even my old body looks pretty good now. The first year or so after weight loss I had some loose skin, but now I don't notice any other than on my back just below my bra line - which is usually covered anyway.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    Genetics, how much you have to lose will dictate how much loose skin you may have. As mentioned above, it can take 2 years to retract and usually anything after 2 years will show how much loose skin you have. My experience with clients is usually if they have more than 80+ to lose, there's some loose skin to deal with on a personal level.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    Don't assume you even need the surgery until you get to goal weight and have been there for a year or two. Many of us look worse part way to goal, with drooping rolls or flaps, usually midsection, but maybe other places. If those folds are 1/2" or more in thickness, there's probably still subcutaneous fat in there conspiring with gravity to keep skin stretched. Until we lose enough fat so that that conspiracy is foiled, skin shrinkage can't even get that good a start.

You'll face a bunch of challenges as you lose weight. Focus on that, for now. Figure out how to change your habits in ways that are easy to continue on autopilot for the rest of your life, to reach and stay at a healthy weight. That'll be plenty to think about. Don't borrow trouble from the future - trouble that may not be as bad as you think. (I think a lot of people who lose believe that their loose skin will be worse than it eventually turns out to be.)

Also, go take some time to look at threads over in the Success Stories part of the Community. There are lots, with photos, even some in bathing suits or similar. I think you'll find that people can lose a lot of weight, and end up with a manageable or low amount of loose skin, though it of course varies individually.

Some people do find that their individual body likes to hold a last layer of fat just under the skin. That may put a person in a position where surgery is a good option after the couple of years at goal weight. If you're in the US, the cost of that surgery will come from your own pocket, unless it causes you medical complications (like infections). Most of us find that when we're losing weight, we're spending a little less money on food. Put that aside in your surgery fund, so you can feel like you're doing something good for yourself. Other than that, don't worry about it for now, wait until you see what reality looks like. If you don't need the surgery, you can take a nice beach vacation instead.

Below is my standard list of things you can do to maybe minimize chances of loose skin, other than the genetics/age factors that may apply and you can't change. It's based on the fact that skin is an organ. The things that keep other organs healthy will also tend to keep skin healthy, which means elastic and more willing to adjust. These include:

* avoiding fast loss (because it's a physical stress to lose fast),
    * getting good well-rounded nutrition (macros and micros, especially but not exclusively protein),
    * getting regular exercise (both cardiovascular and strength),
    * managing all-source life stress,
    * hydrating adequately (not crazy much, but enough),
    * avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol,
    * specific to skin, also avoiding tanning.

People will say all kinds of things about creams, dry-brushing, etc., but personally I'm inclined to think those are mainly ways to pass the time while skin does pretty much what it was going to do anyway. Help a little? Maybe. Big help? I doubt it. But it can feel good to feel like we're doing *something*, plus most of those are harmless at worst, and who knows, maybe you'll feel they pay off. If I weren't vegetarian, I'd have considered a collagen supplement on that same basis, probably.

I lost about 1/3 of my body weight at age 59-60, don't have enough loose skin that I'm troubled by it. You won't know where you end up, until you get there. Until then, try not to worry about it.

Best wishes!
  • cyn_love
    cyn_love Posts: 94 Member
    I'm planning to lose about 120-140 lbs from my highest (300). I still have a long ways to go. CW: 277. Sounds like similar paths - career change, COVID, divorce. I definitely also want AT LEAST a boob job when I reach goal, but who knows how I'd pay for all of this. I sent you a friend request. Good luck with your journey! Fingers crossed for minimal loose skin for the both of us.