For all you lifters out there! Moved to tears!?!?

Options
nay0m3
nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
edited February 2023 in Motivation and Support
Confession: I am a highly sensitive person so this phenomenon may be unique to me or others like me so no judgment! ;)

There are some moves that push me to my limit that move me to tears! It's not a bad feeling just more of an OMG I just pushed THAT hard and my body experiences the sensation of needing to cry. So far, there are two moves that have brought this up in me: Close Stance Squats on the smith machine and 1 1/4 rep hip thrusts on the smith machine.

What experiences/emotions do you feel when you lift or even when you push your body hard?

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    My deadlift and bench press numbers have always lagged behind what online calculators think I should be able to lift, based on my results from other lifts. Consequently, I often feel a twinge of fear as I set up for those lifts that I'm not gonna be able to lift it at all. It's all psychological, as I may feel the fear even on a warmup set well within my range.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I just feel like a badass when I deadlift. Particularly when I can pick up more than a bloke. Not that I’m competitive at all.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    Physically demanding and labor intensive jobs push me to improve my form. It's the difference between good pain and bad pain. No job is worth messing up my back. That would be endless tears. I lift heavy things and heavy snow. There is a sense of accomplishment, when I know I'm using proper techniques. I remind myself, every day.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @cupcakesandproteinshakes I also feel like a badass a lot of the time, too!

@nossmf I experience that same feeling, mostly when I am benchpressing. I psych myself out even though I know I can do it!!

@Hiawassee88 Learning proper form is also empowering! What do you do for work? I live in Vermont so I know all about heavy snow, although this year we haven't had too much thankfully!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    Had a lifting buddy a few years back who was convinced he could not bench press 225. Looking at his physique, I knew it was all psychological. So I had him get into position while I loaded the bar up, not with a pair of big plates per side, but a ton of small plates, so many he couldn't count the weight. I told him we'll add it up after, just lift. He did, got 3 solid reps. Only then did I tell him I loaded so many small plates, he just benched 245 for 3 reps, twenty pounds heavier than he swore he couldn't do once.