Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 vs. 6 week 6 pack. Do they work?

Options
Hello all, I hope this post finds you well.

I have always struggled with my weight since I was a teenager. I hit my heaviest weight at 210 lbs. Diabetes runs in my family. After having a wake-up call, I decided to take my health seriously. From 210 lbs I am down to 180. I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and it works great! I have lost 30 lbs in two months. That and keeping my calories less than 2,000 a day works wonders. Having people tell you they can see the weight loss is a great feeling! That followed by your endocrinologist doctor being in such amazement to see such a rapid improvement in your diabetes.

When I get to my goal weight, I want to get ripped with a 6 pack. Can you confirm that a 6 pack is possible with either of these two workouts if you have never had one before? The BMI calculator states I was obese at 210 lbs. Now that I have lost 30 lbs the BMI calculator says I am overweight, not obese. Share your experiences. Thank you 😊
Tagged:

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    a sixpack requires sufficient muscle mass AND a sufficiently low bodyfat percentage. The workouts may contribute to part 1 (although any type of resistance training will do), but for part 2 you need to lose weight/be in a calorie deficit until your fat percentage is low enough, no matter what workouts you do or don't do.
    The names of these workouts are just marketing really.

They say abs are made in the kitchen - a low fat percentage/fat loss is the largest factor determining a visible 6 pack or not.
  • johnnyr860
    johnnyr860 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    a sixpack requires sufficient muscle mass AND a sufficiently low bodyfat percentage. The workouts may contribute to part 1 (although any type of resistance training will do), but for part 2 you need to lose weight/be in a calorie deficit until your fat percentage is low enough, no matter what workouts you do or don't do.
    The names of these workouts are just marketing really.

They say abs are made in the kitchen - a low fat percentage/fat loss is the largest factor determining a visible 6 pack or not.

Thank you and I understand. I guess I was just looking for a workout video that has been proven to give someone who has never had one a 6 pack of abs. Based on all the reviews I have read of ripped in 30 and 6 week 6 pack it looks like that is just not going to happen with those two workouts. Seems like a lot of people are stating they got more toned and defined body but not an actual 6 pack. I can say the 30 day shred has helped me lose these first 30 lbs and I still have a ways to go but feel good.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    Depending on your genetics you might get a good six-pack with a fairly high bodyfat percentage. But there's also a possibility that you'd need to go very, very low in body fat. And maintaining that is not easy. So basically, it's very possible you get a six-pack, but maintaining it might be a lot of work, and a lot of perfect eating.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Most of us actually have muscle definition in the abs, the problem is that the muscles are covered in fat. If you are doing any reasonably structured lifting program that includes the large compound movements you are working/strengthening your abs. But you still need to get below a certain BF % to actually see the muscle definition - for a guy, that % is usually 15% or less.

What I am trying to say here is that it really doesn't matter what the program you work is. If you don't get rid of the fat you could do all the core exercises that you want and you still will not see a 6-pack.
  • dvdiamond11
    dvdiamond11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The six pack will come with diet more than exercise. But exercise, especially weight/resistance training will get you defined. Diet is 90% of the equation so that is where your dedication must be and it sounds like you are doing well.
    A six pack is more than just abs but your entire core which arguably the most important part of your body to strengthen. 6 Week 6 Pack is pure marketing because everyone one is different. I like Jillian, but do not get discouraged if you do not reach your goal in the allotted time. Muscles take time to build.
    Stay on your path and if you like this workout you can always repeat it again. Or find another that will help you to your goal.