The Mediterranean Diet

A Delicious and Healthy Way to Eat :)

1vf25k3f5hcf.jpg

The Mediterranean diet is a way of eating that is inspired by the traditional dietary patterns of countries like Greece, Italy, and Spain. It has been associated with a range of health benefits, including lower rates of heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease.

At its core, the Mediterranean diet emphasizes whole, minimally processed foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and nuts. It also includes moderate amounts of fish, poultry, dairy products, and red wine, while limiting red meat, sweets, and processed foods.

One of the key components of the Mediterranean diet is the use of healthy fats, such as olive oil and nuts. These fats are high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which have been linked to lower levels of inflammation and improved heart health.

In addition to its health benefits, the Mediterranean diet is also known for its delicious and varied flavors. With a focus on fresh, seasonal ingredients and simple preparation methods, it is easy to create satisfying and flavorful meals that are also good for you.

If you're interested in trying the Mediterranean diet, there are plenty of resources available to help you get started. Cookbooks, meal plans, and online resources can all provide inspiration and guidance as you begin to explore this healthy and delicious way of eating.

Overall, the Mediterranean diet is a great example of how healthy eating can be both enjoyable and sustainable. By emphasizing whole, minimally processed foods and incorporating a variety of flavors and textures, it is a dietary pattern that can promote good health and good taste at the same time.

Athletes can benefit from following a Mediterranean diet due to its emphasis on whole, nutrient-dense foods that can help support athletic performance and recovery. Here are a few ways that the Mediterranean diet can be beneficial for athletes:

Rich in carbohydrates: The Mediterranean diet includes plenty of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, which are all excellent sources of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are the body's primary source of fuel during exercise, so ensuring adequate carbohydrate intake is important for supporting athletic performance.
High in healthy fats: The Mediterranean diet emphasizes healthy fats, such as those found in olive oil, nuts, and fatty fish. These fats can help reduce inflammation in the body and support heart health, which is important for athletes who engage in high-intensity exercise.
Rich in antioxidants: Many of the foods in the Mediterranean diet are rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation. This can be particularly important for athletes who experience high levels of oxidative stress during exercise.
Good source of protein: The Mediterranean diet includes plenty of plant-based protein sources, such as legumes and nuts, as well as moderate amounts of fish and poultry. These foods can help support muscle repair and recovery after exercise.
Overall, athletes can benefit from the nutrient-dense, whole foods that are a staple of the Mediterranean diet. By emphasizing carbohydrates, healthy fats, and antioxidant-rich foods, athletes can support their performance and recovery in a delicious and sustainable way.

Here is a sample Mediterranean menu:

Appetizer:
Roasted eggplant dip (baba ganoush) served with whole wheat pita bread
Entree:
Grilled lemon-herb chicken with a side of whole grain couscous and a mixed green salad dressed with a simple vinaigrette
Dessert:
Fresh fruit salad with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of chopped pistachios
Beverage:
Glass of red wine (optional)
This menu features a variety of Mediterranean flavors and ingredients, including eggplant, lemon, herbs, whole grains, and nuts. The roasted eggplant dip is a classic appetizer that is both delicious and healthy, and it pairs well with the nutty flavor of whole wheat pita bread.

The grilled lemon-herb chicken is a flavorful and protein-rich entree that is perfect for a main course. It is accompanied by a side of whole grain couscous, which provides fiber and complex carbohydrates. The mixed green salad provides a fresh and colorful contrast, and the simple vinaigrette dressing allows the flavors of the greens to shine.

For dessert, a fresh fruit salad is a light and refreshing way to end the meal. The addition of honey and chopped pistachios adds a touch of sweetness and crunch.

Finally, a glass of red wine can be a great way to round out the meal, as it is a common beverage in Mediterranean cultures and has been linked to a range of health benefits when consumed in moderation.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    or just eat any combination of foods that is delicious to you as long as reasonably balanced nutrionally.

No need for labels or specific recomendations like adding pistacchios and honey to fruit salads.

Personally prefer fruit salad without such additions and I dont drink red wine.

But of course that is just me - what people enjoy eating is as varied and individual as we are.

• sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    ChatGPT?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,160 Member
    edited February 2023
    Yes, the often described generic med diet served with edamame and chop sticks and is there salmon in the Mediterranean Sea, I don't think there is and certainly wouldn't be using it to showcase the diet, especially the Atlantic salmon they use. No farm fresh cheeses and yogurt products, goat or sheep to be seen. Cheers.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023
    sbelletti wrote: »
    ChatGPT?

Now that you mention it, it does sound like it would have easily come from that kind of search, especially when they threw the athletic aspect into the mix.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    The photo makes me laugh. Chop sticks? Soy sauce? Salmon? They exist here, in Italy, but are not native to the Mediterranean.

This does not mean that they are not healthy. Just that the OP is not in the know.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,738 Member
    At least the Mediterranean diet encourages whole food. The OP's just trying to share something he's excited about.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    At least the Mediterranean diet encourages whole food. The OP's just trying to share something he's excited about.

If the OP really knows what it is. If a friend invited you to a French restaurant and you were presented with soy sauce and chop sticks--what would you think? Wrong restaurant. The Med diet is sponsered by UNESCO. It is a real thing, not just a made up diet. It's known for it's healthy way of eating. Deciding to go with the MED way of eating is a wise decision, but if you don't live here, you need a little research so you can substitute some foods available in your area. EVOO would be a basic, as would fish, vegetables, and carbs such as pasta, cous cous, and wonderful breads and cheeses. The list is long.

I would not discourage the OP, but am trying to explain what the Med way of eating is. I would hope he would not lose enthusiasm and continue to eat in this way. Always happy to answer questions. However, Italy is only one of the countries involved. I would not be knowledgable about other Med countries and their foods.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023

If the OP really knows what it is. If a friend invited you to a French restaurant and you were presented with soy sauce and chop sticks--what would you think? Wrong restaurant. The Med diet is sponsered by UNESCO. It is a real thing, not just a made up diet. It's known for it's healthy way of eating. Deciding to go with the MED way of eating is a wise decision, but if you don't live here, you need a little research so you can substitute some foods available in your area. EVOO would be a basic, as would fish, vegetables, and carbs such as pasta, cous cous, and wonderful breads and cheeses. The list is long.

I would not discourage the OP, but am trying to explain what the Med way of eating is. I would hope he would not lose enthusiasm and continue to eat in this way. Always happy to answer questions. However, Italy is only one of the countries involved. I would not be knowledgable about other Med countries and their foods.

The Mediterranean is about as diverse a diet can be depending on the geographic location and these internet cookie cutter descriptions are insulting, to say the least and when they can't even get that right, like this particular promotion, they need to be called out. I certainly don't blame the OP which I believe was just promoting a healthy alternative and probably a touch more research was probably in order. Cheers.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,738 Member
    edited February 2023

The Mediterranean is about as diverse a diet can be depending on the geographic location and these internet cookie cutter descriptions are insulting, to say the least and when they can't even get that right, like this particular promotion, they need to be called out. I certainly don't blame the OP which I believe was just promoting a healthy alternative and probably a touch more research was probably in order. Cheers.

Absolutely, I know, I'm all about calling out misinformation. I get frustrated with it too. But, that's what diet culture does. And hopefully as he gets more into it he'll learn more about it.
  • neanderthin
    edited February 2023

Absolutely, I know, I'm all about calling out misinformation. I get frustrated with it too. But, that's what diet culture does. And hopefully as he gets more into it he'll learn more about it.

Yes I agree, we all started this journey by being interested and hopefully by understanding our own conscience and unconscious biases to unearth the "truth" which unfortunately by design and otherwise certainly is getting more difficult to adjudicate. Cheers
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    So weird that the photo is clearly Asian-inspired. :D

Debated flagging it as spam as others have, but there's no links to for-profit websites or "message me for more details".

More just a lovely copy-paste job.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    There's a minor pattern lately where someone (maybe a bot) joins, posts something innocuous/generic, then returns a few hours or day or so later and posts the spam link, usually on the same thread. I'm assuming doing it that way may skirt automated spam detectors on some platforms.

It generally doesn't work well for them on MFP.

I'm not saying OP's doing that here, but we'll see. I hope he's just trying to provide helpful info.
  • paperpudding
    So weird that the photo is clearly Asian-inspired. :D

Debated flagging it as spam as others have, but there's no links to for-profit websites or "message me for more details".

More just a lovely copy-paste job.

If it is a copy/paste, OP should acknowledge the source.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    As this poster is new, started 2 threads (1 Keto, 1 med) with copy paste material, I have opted for the spam button.
    Just a FYI.

Cheers, h.
  • paperpudding
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There's a minor pattern lately where someone (maybe a bot) joins, posts something innocuous/generic, then returns a few hours or day or so later and posts the spam link, usually on the same thread. I'm assuming doing it that way may skirt automated spam detectors on some platforms.

It generally doesn't work well for them on MFP.

I'm not saying OP's doing that here, but we'll see. I hope he's just trying to provide helpful info.

OP's second thread, with such link, would seem to rule out the just trying to be helpful hope.
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 2023
    NVM
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,989 Member
    I thought after 4 or 5 flags, a post is automatically deleted?
    This has 12 flags and still exists.
  • paperpudding
    I think it automaticallly gets bumped to mods attention - but still not deleted unless they decide so.

Probably still there because, unlike OP's other thread which has been deleted, it contains no links or advertisements.
  • AnnPT77
    I think it automaticallly gets bumped to mods attention - but still not deleted unless they decide so.

Probably still there because, unlike OP's other thread which has been deleted, it contains no links or advertisements.

This is an explanation of what I remember reading about the technical process, not a meta comment on either this thread, nor a comment/critique about moderation.

I believe that X number of spam flags - I think it's 5 - send a post to the queue for moderation, and make it disappear from visibility in the Community. From there, it can be approved (for example, if judged not actually to be spam) so show up in the Community again, or left invisible if it does violate Community Guidelines (maybe even be deleted, dunno). If it is approved, subsequent spam flags don't automagically cause it to disappear again, as the flags would trigger initially.

That's my understanding. As usual, I could be wrong.