Why it's smart to let toxic people have the last word.

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Wow, there's an article for that? I thought everyone learned that in or before kindergarten.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Define 'toxic'? Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't make them toxic.

I can define it.

Someone who when they find your diet plan works for you, tries to persuade you to drop it.

well look, the gangs all here. let the festivities commence
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Define 'toxic'? Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't make them toxic.

I can define it.

Someone who when they find your diet plan works for you, tries to persuade you to drop it.

well look, the gangs all here. let the festivities commence
    Not yet. There are a few still not here.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

I can define it.

Yeah, I hate it when people who have succeeded offer good advice that may help others to avoid failure further down the line. Those people are such toxic mean bullies. :huh:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    Define 'toxic'? Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't make them toxic. Enjoying a good argument doesn't make them toxic either. Correcting you because you are factually wrong doesn't make them toxic either. A person is only as 'toxic' as you want them to be.

:noway:

I'll take my own advice and bow out now. Enjoy away!

with just the right touch of passive aggression. almost guaranteed to provoke a response.
  • I assume the "toxic" people you are referring to are the ones who discussed cleansing and detoxing in this post that wasn't even yours?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1087784-cleansing-detoxing

As you mention about, the "toxic" people would be the ones being emotionally reactive and out of control.... which, from the looks of this thread (that I was not involved in).... was not what the people you were speaking to were doing. You were just as argumentative as any of them. Just because their method of presenting information was not your favorite does not make them "toxic."
    4KA42Xm.gif

Damn. I'm suppose to be getting ready for a BBQ, but there's robot Sheldon.

US1L2oO.gif
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    I declare who ever gets the last reply in before the mods lock this wins the prestigious "MFP Most Toxic Award for Getting In The Last Word IN" (Mods don't count because they would always win locking threads or does that make them toxic?)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Define 'toxic'? Just because someone has a different opinion than you, doesn't make them toxic. Enjoying a good argument doesn't make them toxic either. Correcting you because you are factually wrong doesn't make them toxic either. A person is only as 'toxic' as you want them to be.

I agree, and someone losing their temper doesn't make them toxic either. I mean come on OP, are you saying you never ever lost your temper with anyone ever? You never got involved in an argument because you felt someone else was misinformed about something that could have negative consequences for them and the people around them, so you carried on arguing your point out of concern for their well-being? You've never done that?

As to why people can't just drop it when they argue, and why humans can't just disagree nicely, it's because we're primates. (Although you could probably argue that all primates are toxic little (or not so little) gits who are social and co-operative when it suits them but quite willing to get one over the others in their social group if they feel they can get away with it.)

http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/why-cant-humans-just-disagree-nicely/
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    An interesting phenomenon I've noticed a lot in this forum is the 'taste' some people have for arguing with other posters. It reminded me of this article I came across awhile back. And as I know others here have experienced it with some people in some threads, I thought I would re-post here. 

Here it is:

It's only the internet

Good article!

+1
  • neandermagnon
    I declare who ever gets the last reply in before the mods lock this wins the prestigious "MFP Most Toxic Award for Getting In The Last Word IN" (Mods don't count because they would always win locking threads or does that make them toxic?)

07_07_11_challenge-accepted-cat.jpg
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member

There are times one could call the mods toxic, but not really feeling the whole "lets get banned from the forums" thing :laugh:
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Hmm....missed an interesting day on the forums apparently. :laugh:

In for prestigious "MFP Most Toxic Award for Getting in The Last Word IN" award.
  • neandermagnon

In for prestigious "MFP Most Toxic Award for Getting in The Last Word IN" award.

every day's an interesting day on the forums
  • DavPul

BOggLlc.gif
  • neandermagnon

BOggLlc.gif

my cat challenge accepted one was cuter
  • neandermagnon
    the mods are probably not going to lock this thread now, they're probably laughing at everyone in this challenge to get the last word in, thinking the thread's about to be closed while they have no intention of closing it....
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member

every day's an interesting day on the forums

Ain't it the truth.
  • DavPul
    the mods are probably not going to lock this thread now, they're probably laughing at everyone in this challenge to get the last word in, thinking the thread's about to be closed while they have no intention of closing it....

i agree. we should stop right now
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

It's a death match!

death-match-kitten-vs-bunny1_zps83ba8e58.gif
  • <
    We should have babies together....@Tessyloowhoo (In reference to the mask to save people from our toxicity)
    +1 Would bang... but only if you were wearing the mask :flowerforyou:
    as long as you wear yours lets get our toxic freak on
    fuxgzSt.jpg
    I dont have a mask but i can bring medical devices...??? if your into that
    43359607_4991.jpg
This discussion has been closed.