Week one down and no lose 😭

Options
pbm89gt
pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
Feeling frustrated already in getting back on this plan. I kept my calories close or under the suggested daily intake and I didn't lose a pound. I figured I'd at least lost a little, even a quarter pound would have made me feel a little better about.
In the past I would have lost a little, the only thing that's changed is my age (I'm 48 now) and the daily prescription meds that I take.
Maybe it's too soon to see results, even a little.
Just feeling discouraged and disappointed 😞

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm… normally I would say to give it time, but it IS unusual to not drop some water weight your first week of cutting calories. Did you start a new fitness routine? That could cause water retention.

Also, how are you measuring your food? If you feel comfortable opening your diary, there are a lot of seasoned MFPers here, and I’ve seen them pinpoint issues and help people in your shoes.
  • pbm89gt
    Options
    Just for giggles I weighed myself again this morning, Im now 336.9 what in the world?! That's 5.1 lbs over night, I think my scale is broke. There's no way I that's right.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    pbm89gt wrote: »
    Just for giggles I weighed myself again this morning, Im now 336.9 what in the world?! That's 5.1 lbs over night, I think my scale is broke. There's no way I that's right.

Five pounds - is that over or under your last weight?...that's well within a normal daily weight fluctuation for someone of your size.

Here, this will help: https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

...and the forum thread about it:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1
  • cmriverside
    Options
    You may want to read in this Group, "Larger Losers" here on myfitnesspal. It's a targeted group, and if you want to post in it you can "Join" using the button at the top of the page:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • pbm89gt
    edited March 2023
    Options
    It was overnight and under so I'll take it as a plus and see what next week's weigh in shows. Thanks
    I joined that group a few days ago on suggestions of another member. That's one thing I've noticed about MFP over Lose it is there aren't many groups for people needing to lose 100 or more pounds.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    It was overnight and under so I'll take it as a plus and see what next week's weigh in shows. Thanks
    I joined that group a few days ago on suggestions of another member. That's one thing I've noticed about MFP over Lose it is there aren't many groups for people needing to lose 100 or more pounds.

So it was a five pound loss? Yay. :)

Be prepared for when the scale goes up five pounds for no discernible reason. That's why I gave you that other link about fluctuations.

Just
    Stay
    The
    Course
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

I've gained and lost that much from one morning to the next at around 130-ish pounds baseline weight. It'd be more frequent/common to swing that wide at your weight. If there aren't 17,850 calories in the swing over a similar time period (above maintenance if a gain, below it if a loss), then it's water retention shifts, or different amounts of food residue in the digestive tract on its way to becoming waste, or a combination of both.

Bodies are weird. Like, really weird. Read the links given above - very informative. Get used to the few-pounds ups and downs, because that's what bodies do. Look at the trend over at least 4-6 weeks, or whole menstrual cycles for women of relevant age.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    I'd like to recommend a weight trending app, Libra (Android) and Happyscale (iOS) which will help you look through the fluctuations.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, weight fluctuations! Think of your body like the coast being influence by ebb and flood. It just happens constantly. That's totally normal. Weight loss happens somewhere within these normal fluctuations, and can sometimes be hidden by them.

Imagine you weight yourself once a week. First you're on 350lbs. You lose 3lbs bodyfat, but for some reason it's flood and you gain 3lbs on water weight. So now the scale is still at 350lbs even though you've lost 3lbs of fat. Then you've not been to the loo for 2 days, which might easy add another 2lbs of what I call poop weight. You've lost 3lbs of body fat but the scale is telling you you're at 352lbs and you've gained 2! But yeah, it's all water and the contents of your intestines. those things are meaningless of health and for getting to the weight and shape you want even though they confuse the scale.
  • StaciInGa
    StaciInGa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you weigh at night and then again the next morning - there will almost always be a weight loss in the morning. (Assuming you are not eating overnight and use the bathroom before getting on the scale in the a.m.)

To monitor weight lost over time, you want your weighins to be consistent. Same time of day, same scale, same level of dress.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    If you weigh at night and then again the next morning - there will almost always be a weight loss in the morning. (Assuming you are not eating overnight and use the bathroom before getting on the scale in the a.m.)

To monitor weight lost over time, you want your weighins to be consistent. Same time of day, same scale, same level of dress.

Actually, that will happen even if you don't use the bathroom before weighing, assuming decent sleep duration. Most (around 80%) of the fat we lose leaves the body as exhaled gases. The rest is expelled primarily as water, including moisture in exhalation and sweat. Overnight, we have no added intake, but we burn calories (most of them from fat), exhale and sweat. Normally, a person will weigh a little less in the morning as a consequence. Whether it's enough difference for scale sensitivity to catch is a variable, but it definitely can be 1-4 pounds.

Bodies are weird.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Patience. what if you wait and get on the scale again 4 weeks from now? every day / week is torture for me