Obsessed with recipes, cooking, meal planning, cooking utensils

Options
sofrances
sofrances Posts: 156 Member
edited March 2023 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I've been maintaining for a couple of years now, healthy BMI of ~23 down from ~35. Very pleased with this overall, although still can't really believe it after so many years before of trying and failing.

However, one thing I noticed is that in that time I have become a LOT more interested in recipes, cooking, cookbooks, buying cooking equipment, researching cooking equipment etc. My cookbook collection has expanded rapidly, and sometimes I spend a lot of time browsing recipes online.

Before losing weight, although I liked food and ate a lot, I wasn't that interested in cooking. It was mainly a chore to me.

I definitely don't have a "classic" ED, given that my BMI is healthy and I have never been underweight by BMI. However, I have started to worry that my cooking/recipe obsession is a manifestation of something unhealthy mentally.

I recently listened to a podcast that talked about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, that talked about how the participants became obsessed with collecting recipes, buying cooking utensils, discussing food, etc. While I'm definitely not physically starving, the echoes feel a bit scary.

Does anyone else relate, have similar experiences? etc.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    My mother who was a normal weight most of her life was also a cookbook and recipe collector. Not sure it's something to worry about unless it interferes with your life in some way.

It's a whole lot better than a lot of other "hobbies."

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Generally speaking, I don't think it's a problem until someone starts eating-by-proxy. Some of us know those who enjoy watching others eat. They cook and cook, but don't touch the food. They give it away or bring it to you, they want to watch you eat it. That's when it becomes a problem. They enjoy going out to restaurants, but want you to order the food. They watch, but don't partake. Houston, that's a problem.

Cookbook collector and utensils. Not so much.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I think we find new hobbies a many stages throughout our life and if you started doing more cooking in general while you were losing weight, it doesn't seem odd at all that you'd become more interested and involved in things related to cooking. I've gotten into calligraphy/handlettering lately and am filling my drawers and shelves with all kinds of pens and going down any number of blog posts about the perfect left handed calligraphy nib. As long as we're not compromising money or time we're obligated to do other things, I think we just all find stuff to geek out on :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,134 Member
    Options
    Only you know the personal boundary between good life balance and unbalanced obsession.

I did find that focusing on improving nutrition and reaching appropriate calories was a thing that increased my attention to meal planning, shopping, cooking, and the like. It was pleasant to me, improved my enjoyment of food specifically and life generally - like a coming over a hill I'd slogged up, to a plain where everything was enjoyable, life enhancing.

If it's more of a deal where you're perseverating anxiously on planning/cooking/eating, feeling like you're on a hamster-wheel, not happy, not sure how to hop off, short-changing other important things in your life: That's not good!

If you're confused, not sure whether it's a good hobby or a bad obsession . . . well, maybe that's where consulting a professional - short course - would be helpful.

I remember some posts of yours from the past, I think (could be wrong). If right, it feels like you worry a little. (That's OK!)

IMO, the key question is: Is my life in balance, including all the things that are important and life enhancing to me, in generally close to the right proportions? If yes, all good. If no, make a change. If stressed and confused . . . that's where talking with someone neutral and insightful (like a professional) can help. I've done that when I needed it. (Not food, something else.) It was good.
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Generally speaking, I don't think it's a problem until someone starts eating-by-proxy.

Ok, good point. Yeah, I don't do that.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I remember some posts of yours from the past, I think (could be wrong). If right, it feels like you worry a little. (That's OK!)

Good memory. Yes, I do "like" to worry.

Thanks for your comments folks.