Keeping Track of More Nutrient Goals (Vitamins)

Options
One thing I really wish was the Nutrient list on MFP to add more Vitamins. Like keeping track of your daily B vitamins, Magnesium, etc. Has anyone heard of this being talked about or added?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely, IMO.

Some logging apps have a database that's created/maintained by staff. That tends toward a smaller database that's able to include more nutrients (because the staff can research, and will if paid to, probably).

MFP went the other route, lets all of us add foods to the database (crowd-sourced). That tends toward a giant and pretty-complete database, but higher rate of errors in entry, and likelihood that the only info at hand when adding is whatever's on the food label. MFP has designed the database accordingly, to include things that are on US labels (sometimes). US labels aren't required to have B vitamins or magnesium. Even the "added sugars" that's now on US labels is only in the database, not propagated to most displays/reports, let alone the data being present in all past entries.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, that info is available over at Chron.

I used to be anemic, and can testify to the fact that the iron info for USER-created entries is wildly inaccurate.

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • cipxla
    cipxla Posts: 1 Member
    Options

One thing I really wish was the Nutrient list on MFP to add more Vitamins. Like keeping track of your daily B vitamins, Magnesium, etc. Has anyone heard of this being talked about or added?

Hopefully one day they will add that form of vitamin tracking. Whether or not it is added to the criteria for green checked foods or not is something else, but I feel that I should be able to enter the full range of vitamins for my own entries and then be able to track their intake. It’s hard to make sure i’m getting enough of everything without going back manually