Losing weight too sliwly

Options
I have been doing WW for 11 month. I am 65, female 5 foot 2 and weigh 146 pounds. I have only lost 7 pounds in all that time. I stick to plan, weigh and measure foods go swimming and do 3 x 45 mins aqua class weekly. Can someone please offer some proper help as to what to do to get the scales moving. Need to lose around another 10 pounds to get to top of healthy bmi. Thank you.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,277 Member
    Options
    What does 'weigh and mesure foods' mean?
    Are you actually counting your calorie intake, or just following WW? I'm not a WW expert, but I know their points don't accurately reflect calories, so you may just be eating too many calories.
  • scattyannie88
    scattyannie88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    J mean I am sticking to recommended points on a daily basis and weigh my food so I know my points are correct for the portion size. If I use my fitness pal do I put settings as lightly active or sedentary thank you
  • scattyannie88
    Options
    It says 1200 sedentary 0,5 weekly and 1370 lightly active 0.5 weekly which do you think better
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It says 1200 sedentary 0,5 weekly and 1370 lightly active 0.5 weekly which do you think better

What is your daily activity other than the 3 aqua classes per week?

If you are fairly busy, running errands, cleaning, etc. every day, lightly active is good. See what happens after a couple of weeks at 1370 and then you can reassess.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

Start with Lightly Active.

Just because your WW points are okay, don't assume they're right - but to be fair, you've lost 7 pounds in the past 11 months, and as you get closer to a healthy weight it just gets harder and slower. This is the time to really work on good long-term habits. It's not at all easy for that last 20 pounds, so well done!

Like Rockmama said above, do the, "Lose 1/2 pound per week," and Lightly Active for a month and then reassess. If you are not getting the results you input, then you are still off. The bad news is that you cannot use a large calorie deficit with so little to lose and that means accuracy is of higher importance. It's a narrow margin of error, and easy to erase that small deficit with a few mistakes or forgotten cookies. It's easy to lose when you have a lot to lose, not so much when there is little left to go.

If you use "Lightly Active" that is just to cover your daily regular activity - housework, job, errands, etc. If you are doing additional extra purposeful exercise like an AquaFit class, eat a couple hundred calories more on those days to fuel that additional work. Log exercise on the "Exercise" tab here on this site. That's how the site is set up.

Here's how they calculate:
    https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • scattyannie88
    Options
    Thank you to everyone x
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    You’re in a tiny deficit. If you’re figuring in exercise calories into your daily equation, stop and don’t figure exercise calories. That will help by not allowing those calories to go into your daily allowance. That will help some but possibly not enough as those calories won’t be a lot when figured in your weekly TDEE which is total calories burned through your BMR, NEAT. (Daily movements that aren’t exercise), and your exercises. You will probably have to also lower your weekly calories a bit.
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2023
    Options
    You’re in a tiny deficit. If you’re figuring in exercise calories into your daily equation, stop and don’t figure exercise calories. That will help by not allowing those calories to go into your daily allowance. That will help some but possibly not enough as those calories won’t be a lot when figured in your weekly TDEE which is total calories burned through your BMR, NEAT. (Daily movements that aren’t exercise), and your exercises. You will probably have to also lower your weekly calories a bit.

I don't agree with this.

If she's going to use Myfitnesspal and she doesn't have much to lose, why would you tell her not to use this tool as it is designed? You continue to advocate for a system that is NOT how this site works.

Sure, any of us could make up our own way to do things. If I'm using a tool, I want to use it the way it is meant to be used. That gives me the most control over my results.

I wouldn't try to pound in a nail with a screwdriver. ::shrug::

scattyannie, if you don't want to eat more on Exercise days, then change your Activity Level to "Active." That will spread out your exercise calories over the entire week. Each bump "up" in Activity Level gives an additional 250 calories. tomcustombuilder just doesn't explain his reasoning, which would make his viewpoint make more sense, so....whatever.
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited March 2023
    Options

I don't agree with this.

If she's going to use Myfitnesspal and she doesn't have much to lose, why would you tell her not to use this tool as it is designed? You continue to advocate for a system that is NOT how this site works.

Sure, any of us could make up our own way to do things. If I'm using a tool, I want to use it the way it is meant to be used. That gives me the most control over my results.

I wouldn't try to pound in a nail with a screwdriver. ::shrug::

scattyannie, if you don't want to eat more on Exercise days, then change your Activity Level to "Active." That will spread out your exercise calories over the entire week. Each bump "up" in Activity Level gives an additional 250 calories. tomcustombuilder just doesn't explain his reasoning, which would make his viewpoint make more sense, so....whatever.

By her eliminating exercise calories from the equation that lowers daily allowances and eliminates a part of the equation that may be inaccurate. The goal of OP I’m sure is to be successful by whatever means possible. People can be successful with the site by figuring all exercise calories, some do 50% and some do none. You have that option so you may as well use whatever works for the person using it.

An additional 250 a day is probably way more extra calories per week than 3 swim sessions burn so that may be counterproductive.

As far as tools, a Swiss Army Knife has many available uses and you use whatever works best at the time.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    Options
    Yes, add workouts to MFP as intended.

Yes, ingest those calories back.

Yes, use a conservative estimate for the workout calories. For several reasons, those estimates can be too high. If you want a 250 daily deficit, and you estimate 500 burned in a workout which was actually 250, there goes your planned deficit.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yes, add workouts to MFP as intended.

Yes, ingest those calories back.

Yes, use a conservative estimate for the workout calories. For several reasons, those estimates can be too high. If you want a 250 daily deficit, and you estimate 500 burned in a workout which was actually 250, there goes your planned deficit.

Yeah, I would expect a one-hour AquaFit class to burn somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-250 calories depending on how vigorously one moved, so that would be what I would enter into the "Exercise" box here on this site.

• tomcustombuilder
    Options

I was involved in the BB.com forum for 15 years and there were a decent amount of people coming over from MFP with the same problem, can't lose weight. After diving into it with them they were using food numbers that were incorrect, as most would just choose the entries with the lowest amounts and were way overestimating their workout calories. Once they were told how to dial things in they started seeing progress. One of the main factors was they stopped eating back workout calories and besides being more accurate with their overall deficit numbers it also simplified the process.

Food for thought and nothing more....

• tomcustombuilder
    edited March 2023
    Options

I was involved in the BB.com forum for 15 years and there were a decent amount of people coming over from MFP with the same problem, can't lose weight. After diving into it with them they were using food numbers that were incorrect, as most would just choose the entries with the lowest amounts and were way overestimating their workout calories. Once they were told how to dial things in they started seeing progress. One of the main factors was they stopped eating back workout calories and besides being more accurate with their overall deficit numbers it also simplified the process.

Food for thought and nothing more....

You don't think we see those same people here?

Undereating is a problem as well.

Know your audience. You're more than welcome to give your, "Don't eat exercise calories," advice over on BB.com.

Why do you want to create problems here, though? I mean, this lady has only a few pounds to lose and you're telling her that it's A-OK to ignore the recommended calories and eat under that amount.

Then she'll be posting that, "I can't stop binging. Why am I not able to stick to this [too extreme] deficit?"

I just don't see how you're helping. Yes, she has a tiny deficit. Yes, exercise calories do get inflated and food database items can be wrong but why also tell her, "The site sucks, basically. Use MY numbers instead." If she uses it as it is supposed to be used at least she'll have good data to make decisions. Your way will have her all over the place, under-eating then over-eating.

Just log the food, log the exercise, watch the trends and adjust. Once she knows her actual calorie needs (not WW points) then she can do what she wants.

So the people that log 50% of exercise calories are also wrong?

I think you're over projecting things.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I have been doing WW for 11 month. I am 65, female 5 foot 2 and weigh 146 pounds. I have only lost 7 pounds in all that time. I stick to plan, weigh and measure foods go swimming and do 3 x 45 mins aqua class weekly. Can someone please offer some proper help as to what to do to get the scales moving. Need to lose around another 10 pounds to get to top of healthy bmi. Thank you.

These are current 2023 ww free foods, but we all know, there's no such thing as a free lunch.
    g4c838c0pmoz.png

I don't want to marsh anyone's mellow, but this thing is designed in such a way, that you will keep going for the rest of your life. My grandmother did. She never lost a single pound. It was a club, and she had whopping boatloads of fun at those meetings. She tried to conduct herself properly during the week, but after the meeting, that all went out the window.

She was willing to give up all of her weekly progress, with a food lollapalooza celebration, after every meeting.

lolol - I worked at a TGIFridays and every Tuesday at 9PM a big group of overweight ladies came in and all orders lots of food. TGIF was not known as a low-cal dining establishment even on its best day. Turns out they had just left a TOPS meeting. It's some group called Take Off Pounds Sensibly. And yeah, we always said, "Yep, then go put it back on after your weigh in." :lol: