Gyms and Mat Etiquette

Options
Ya’ll. Be considerate and don’t walk on other folks’ mats at the gym.

If I’ve chosen to get out a mat, I’m probably going to have my face close to the ground at some point.

I don’t care to be putting my face where your shoes have just been.

It’s just simple courtesy.

I’m probably preaching to the choir here, but mats are a temporarily very intimate space.

And wipe your mat when you’re done.

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    As an addendum, anybody lifting weights has an invisible five-foot area around them which is a "do not enter" zone until they put the weight down. If that area includes the DB rack, and you need to select/replace a DB, wait until their set is done before entering the zone. This prevents distracting them during a lift and risking them losing form/getting injured, also helps prevent you from getting injured when they suddenly switch their lift without being aware you're there (such as going from a curl to a lateral raise into your face).
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I'm glad to be using my home gym room.

I see so many videos on YT showing everyone filming themselves, I'm guessing many of them for their 10 followers channel most of which is their family, and in some cases trying to trap others into glancing in their direction so they can claim they're being harassed.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to be using my home gym room.

I see so many videos on YT showing everyone filming themselves, I'm guessing many of them for their 10 followers channel most of which is their family, and in some cases trying to trap others into glancing in their direction so they can claim they're being harassed.

Our average gym user age is high 50’s or higher. These clowns line up like Dumbo’s crows if they see an older woman weightlifting, and then they start crowding in.

Absolutely agree with @nossmf if for no other reason than the weight they “want” is inevitably right by my bench and I’m scared I’m going to bop one of them with whatever I’m using.

Thankfully, no one in our gym does selfies or videos in the gym. Can you imagine? 😂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    For the mat-steppers, maybe "accidentally" smack them on the ankle?

These clowns line up like Dumbo’s crows if they see an older woman weightlifting, and then they start crowding in.

At least they're not spitting, cat-calling, jeering. Genuinely reported by women who lifted in gyms back in the 1960s-1970s.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    For the mat-steppers, maybe "accidentally" smack them on the ankle?

These clowns line up like Dumbo’s crows if they see an older woman weightlifting, and then they start crowding in.

At least they're not spitting, cat-calling, jeering. Genuinely reported by women who lifted in gyms back in the 1960s-1970s.
    I find dropping the weight from the top of a snatch or jerk onto their ankles works well.

(Joke obvs. My aim isn’t that good.)
  • dvdiamond11
    dvdiamond11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good luck with educating anyone about gym etiquette. There are some real knuckleheads - men and women out there that are so clueless they will never learn or respect any rules, written or unwritten.
    I have gone to gyms most of my adult life and I could write a book on idiot gym goers.
    Common sense dictates you do not step on someone else's mat, or crowd them, or do any number of annoying things. But that is just life in the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Common sense on both sides..............don't stretch/exercise inside of 4ft of a dumbbell rack or any rack for that matter. People will try to get weights and if your mat is within that area, it could get stepped on. I hate having to tip toe around people that do this while I'm trying to get weights for my client. Leave some room.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png