Omg! I am about to puke!

Options
katya143
katya143 Posts: 313 Member
I was eating blueberries and did not look at them while popping them in my mouth and realized there were maggots coming out of them! what should I do?

Replies

• waymethb
    waymethb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    just relax..as hard as that is too do...I'm sure you will be fine and you probably didn't even eat any. I know that is soooo very disgusting but you chewed the blueberries well and I don't think you will have any adverse affects. If you are totally weirded out about it then you can call your local ER
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    your stomach acid will probably kill them!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    your stomach acid will probably kill them!

I agree, you should be okay, they aren't parasitic.....right? Like, they don't need a host to survive like tapeworms or other symbiotic critters....

Edit-wikianswers says they are high in protein!! But it's not like we live in the bush and need to rely on bugs for protein sources, I'd be completely grossed out too, I think this would help me lose my appetite for a day...maybe two...then I'm sure it'd be business as usual.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi not to worry acually they are very high on protein. During WWII my dad was a prisoner of war in Germany and they ate potato and maggot soup and he lost a lot of weight but lived and so will you. You'll be OK
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That happened to me recently too. I just kept repeating to myself.. " breathe.. it's okay.. breathe .. it's okay" and then I distracted myself.. try not to think about it and get yourself engaged in something else quick
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I ate ant covered snack mix on accident a while back... I was outside and apparently the ants were hungry, too. I lived, and I promise you will, too. Maggots will not hurt you. The thought might make you a little queasy, but that's it.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    It's the latest fad... the Maggot diet. :0
  • BeeZoe
    BeeZoe Posts: 37
    Options
    And now, if anyone ever asks you if you have eaten maggots you can why yes, yes I have! They will look at you with awe.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I've got a friend who, during a night drive was munching on some chocolate. She didn't eat it all and the next morning discovered that it had maggots all inside it!

She was fine, but went off chocolate for a long while! You will be fine, enjoy the extra protein! :-)
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Did you enter them under snacks :)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    LOL, that's some funny ****. Sorry...had to. I hate if for you but you'll be fine. On the show Fear Factor they ate all kinds of stuff like that. What a gross *kitten* show.
    Then there was the old lady that swallowed a fly, I don't know why she swallowed a fly...perhaps she'll cry. (replaced die cuz you won't die from eating maggots) Couldn't resist that either.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    They have eaten them on shows like Survivor and Fear Factor as stunts. You'll be fine. Your stomach acid will kill what your teeth didn't.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just love a good gross outy story! Sorry about your problem though, they really won't hurt you. Just try to stop thinking about it and you'll be fine.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    You will be ok soldier. It's just a maggot. In some countries they see them as delacies. And now you have a great story to share. But I am sorry that you are grossed out. I am sure it's an unpleasant feeling.
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    one word....ewe!!! :tongue:
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    OMG I would have thrown up, lol. That is so gross and I have never heard of them being in a fruit, weird!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    As gross as that is, you will be fine. People can eat maggots (on purpose) and they are ok...and you will be ok too :)
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My last (and I mean final) barley soup had moth larvae in it.... I just so badly hate wasting food that I ate it, but I haven't bought barley in two years now. (It tasted fine--it's just a mental block...)

Sorry about the blueberries.

And ewww.
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    :cry: I am so sorry!:frown:
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    o.k. I couldn't resist. I checked the web for nutritional value of maggots and found this little tidbit. Read the last sentence. I am sorry about your experience. Many years ago I was plowing my way through a Cadbury chocolate bar with almonds and happened to really look at it and there was a moth and moth larvae (well actually 1/2 of larvae and you can guess where the other 1/2 went) :sick:

Hard Tack Bread Recipe from the Civil War
    Ingredients:

5 cups flour
    1 cup water
    1 tbs salt

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Knead dough and roll out till it is 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 3x3 squares, and poke a 3x3 series of holes in the center, evenly spaced. Bake in preheated oven, 425 degrees until dry and lightly golden brown. Be sure to keep dry..If they get damp, they will get moldy quickly and cannot be eaten. If you have any weevils or maggots throw them in for added nutritional value!