Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If you only had a 700 Cal a day deficit on average over the past 33 days, the maximum amount of fat you could have lost is 6.6lbs, not 15.

You either have a much larger deficit, or,
    you're also counting in some of the water weight changes that accompany you low carb/high carb eating, or,
    you have a measurement problem, or,
    a combination of the above

Losing a lb of fat requires at least 3500Cal of deficit and that already takes into account that it would contain a bit less than 453.6g of 9Cal per g fat... But 33*700=23100 🤷‍♂️

Where did I say it was all fat loss??

Maybe you're right though, my deficit may have been larger, I may have forgotten an exercise here and there and I honestly haven't studied my calorie intake that thoroughly. I'll review my weekly reports. I've been focussing on macros, not calories though. All I know I was running at a deficit.

It may have been a lot of water weight, I was on a 1200 cal diet in the 2 months prior to starting this journey while exercising (cardio) almost daily. I fully believe my body was in starvation mode, which caused me to only gain weight instead of lose. When I started focussing on my macros rather than calories, I recalculated my TDEE and increased my cal goal accordingly. Never hit the cal goal though. Couldn't eat more than I did.

Just wanted to let the topic starter know you can actually lose 8 pounds in 3 weeks.
    Losing water isn't the point of weightloss, hell, fighters do that in a day to make weight. Unless you've lost fat, the numbers are basically useless and also understand there is no such thing as starvation mode.

Calories>macros for fatloss. Calories for fatloss, macros for body composition. While both are important, calories will be the key for fatloss.

Metabolism is the great equalizer. Cheers
  • GarysGirl78
    GarysGirl78 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If you only had a 700 Cal a day deficit on average over the past 33 days, the maximum amount of fat you could have lost is 6.6lbs, not 15.

You either have a much larger deficit, or,
    you're also counting in some of the water weight changes that accompany you low carb/high carb eating, or,
    you have a measurement problem, or,
    a combination of the above

Losing a lb of fat requires at least 3500Cal of deficit and that already takes into account that it would contain a bit less than 453.6g of 9Cal per g fat... But 33*700=23100 🤷‍♂️

Where did I say it was all fat loss??

Maybe you're right though, my deficit may have been larger, I may have forgotten an exercise here and there and I honestly haven't studied my calorie intake that thoroughly. I'll review my weekly reports. I've been focussing on macros, not calories though. All I know I was running at a deficit.

It may have been a lot of water weight, I was on a 1200 cal diet in the 2 months prior to starting this journey while exercising (cardio) almost daily. I fully believe my body was in starvation mode, which caused me to only gain weight instead of lose. When I started focussing on my macros rather than calories, I recalculated my TDEE and increased my cal goal accordingly. Never hit the cal goal though. Couldn't eat more than I did.

Just wanted to let the topic starter know you can actually lose 8 pounds in 3 weeks.

Turns out I was on a 700±100 cal deficit, on top of the already calculated deficit MFP shows you when you put in your weekly weight loss goal. So in my case that was somewhere between 1200-1400 cal below my (manually calculated TDEE). Mea culpa, I didn't realise it at the time of posting the above.
    I will do better and be more accurate from now on. o:)

Some people could use some better bedside manners though, just saying...

I spend a lot of time reviewing all my data from MFP, compared it to my Garmin data (seem to have issues getting the 2 communicating properly) and manually re-calculating everything in a spreadsheet. So I now have 3 'databases' to keep up with :D

Will leave it at that and not further comment on the 'starvation mode' thing, used the wrong term on this forum obviously. Did a lot of research on it myself, and last night searched this community on the topic, it seems to annoy many here. I'd rather spend my energy on working out tbf. Props to the author of the big article summary on the topic though, very well done!
  • GarysGirl78
    GarysGirl78 Posts: 107 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @paperpudding *hugs*

duty_calls.png

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
  • Ashlove5
    Ashlove5 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's far from perfect, but speaking only for myself, I appreciate that quite a few folks around here make an effort to keep things evidence based and reasonably accurately/clearly stated. That does sometimes create controversy, or ruffle feathers. Cost of doing business? 🤷‍♀️

I'd apologize to the OP for getting digressive, but that ship sailed somewhere on page 1; and no indication that OP's returned to the thread, as s/he hasn't posted on it since 4/3.

Still here just wondering what truly happened to this thread but i appreciate everyone’s response and i agree that losing weight in a slower pace would equal to long term success.