How would your dog protect you?

Options

Replies

• Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have a 14 year old golden retriever who will bark at any squirrel or rabbit in the yard, but he gets all excited and whines if a car pulls in. He loves people so much that he gets upset if I don't let him greet them at the door. I don't think he would do too much to protect me, he'd probably be begging for a belly rub.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I recently adopted a Pitbull/Rottweiler cross. Great dog. Gentle with my small child, not food protective, great recall, well socialized with other people and dogs. If I invite someone in the house she's very cool about it. Her only negative is she is FAST and likes to catch and kill small animals. I've already seen that she is VERY protective. If someone or something came at us, or broke into our house they'd be in for a world of hurt.

To the person who thinks dogs don't have an instinct to protect their owners, I can tell you that you are wrong. Every dog that I have ever owned has been protective and not run away in scary situations (when I was there), from labradors to chihuahuas. Dogs definitely are instinctual as PACK animals. Their owners, and family, are their pack.

I do agree that some breeds or individuals wouldn't necessarily defend their owners physically, but they would usually stay by them and maybe at least make a ruckus and attract attention.
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My dog drinks beer, eats bbq, and sleeps. The end.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Unless your dog is specifically trained in protection work, chances are nothing.

Dogs have two reactions - fight or flight. They'll try one and resort to the other if needed. When they are growling at a stranger in the bushes, that would be fight. If the threat continues, and your dog has the option, there's a good chance they'll opt for flight.

What people view as a dog being "protective" is often more of a weak temperament or possessiveness than it is protection.

Not sure about this. I have had 3 German Shepherds, none trained in protection. Two of which stepped in to protect myself and family members. They had sound temperaments and no resource guarding tendencies.

Some dogs/breeds are more naturally protective than others.

I agree with this guy.

Dogs don't have to be trained to be protective in order to be protective. My German Shepherd had never been trained to protect and typically if other dogs were fighting or something was going on, she was usually between my legs (when she was a puppy) as she got older, she would put herself between me and anyone walking towards us, if other dogs came running at us she wanted to protect me. She liked other dogs, just didn't like them charging us.

It depends on what you consider protective. I also have two German Shepherds. They are territorial and a great deterrent. Only one would I rely on for protection.

I know my opinion isn't popular. I'm ok with that. My biggest concern is people who rely on their dog as protection. I don't want to see anyone in the position of the above poster who was mugged and her dog did nothing.

I agree with you on your biggest concern. Personally, I don't want my dogs to protect me. I want to protect them. That's my job. My dogs now, in the earlier story where an aggressive dog was circling myself and my dog, all I could think in my head was if this dog attacks my dog (who is one of the sweetest most loving dogs on the planet) I'm not above kicking that other dog until it stops. Now, I am NOT an animal abuser, nor do I believe in harming animals, nor would I...but if a dog whose attacked other dogs and killed a cat attacks mine, you better believe I'm in that fight to protect my dog.

I also think that if someone were to break into my house, I'm shutting my dogs in a room so they won't get hurt. They are big dogs 78 lbs and a 46 lb pit bull. It's not for them to protect me.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    They would totally cuddle you to death.
    b315aacd-74a0-4aaf-9d2d-c42c4423ae08_zps79430384.jpg
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    They would totally cuddle you to death.
    photo2_zpsda8d9c73.jpg

Love it!!! Looks just like my two fur-balls......though different breeds
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have a jack Russell he doesn't care if pele come to the door when my husband is home but if a repair man or delivery man comes when my husband is not home he follows them around with his fur up. Unfortunately no one is really scared of my 12 lb ball of chub.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My Mini Aussie in my profile picture wiggles his butt and draws in even the scariest looking people on the walking trails. I know that he loves me but I am not kidding myself, if things got hairy, he would run once he realized it wasn't patting-and-adoration-time.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    test:
    Get somebody to star pushing you around and see how defensive he gets. If he gets mad growly and not playful growly, then likely yes.

We did this test with my bfs Italian Greyhound. BF started shoving me around and punching my arm to see what the dog would do. Not hard but it started to hurt so I started screaming I'm gonna get you back for this and the dog went all crazy "Yayy we're getting her" and started nibbling on my arm. Protection fail :(

M_zMWM1_XVtfqOXuMaELHGAFbMzdbSPT9mYftrGAIKI=w184-h250-p-no
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    My sister was babysitting my boy (2 yrs) and dog (Mastiff). A disgruntled, former employee of her husband hopped their fence to steal some power tools (we determined that because he broke into a shed and was carrying tools back toward the fence when he was accosted by the dog). Unfortunately for him, my boy was in the yard with my dog. My sister's Rottweilers didn't do anything (maybe because they didn't feel protective of my son), but my dog, who is very protective of my kids/family, saw the dude walking toward my son (he had to pass him to get back to the front of the house...guess the dude picked the wrong side of the house to walk around), and she charged. Dude almost made it to the fence...but he didn't. Dog mauled him pretty good. Sister came out and finally got Hula (my dog) to quit chewing on the perp. Police came. Neighbor across the street saw what had happened and made a full report. Cops didn't give my sister a citation, but did arrest the guy and then took him to the hospital to get stitched up. 180 lb dog beats 150 lb meth addict.

ETA: Not the best pic...but here's Hula:
    369_47063040574_4531_n.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have a cat. He would protect me by hiding until my body was dragged off.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My sister was babysitting my boy (2 yrs) and dog (Mastiff). A disgruntled, former employee of her husband hopped their fence to steal some power tools (we determined that because he broke into a shed and was carrying tools back toward the fence when he was accosted by the dog). Unfortunately for him, my boy was in the yard with my dog. My sister's Rottweilers didn't do anything (maybe because they didn't feel protective of my son), but my dog, who is very protective of my kids/family, saw the dude walking toward my son (he had to pass him to get back to the front of the house...guess the dude picked the wrong side of the house to walk around), and she charged. Dude almost made it to the fence...but he didn't. Dog mauled him pretty good. Sister came out and finally got Hula (my dog) to quit chewing on the perp. Police came. Neighbor across the street saw what had happened and made a full report. Cops didn't give my sister a citation, but did arrest the guy and then took him to the hospital to get stitched up. 180 lb dog beats 150 lb meth addict.

OMG, I am in love with that dog. She's gorgeous and she righteously kicked butt.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options

WTG Hula!!!! :love:
    Beautiful dog BTW! :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am in love with that dog. She's gorgeous and she righteously kicked butt.

Thanks peeps. :)

The beauty of it too is that she is otherwise exceptionally gentle. My son still loves to climb all over her, pull her ears, poke her in the eyes, kiss her on the mouth, etc. She just lies there with a "grin" on her face and occasionally looks at me like, "really, you're letting him do this to me?" She's our gentle guardian. :)
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My Sam, a Jack russell/border collie mix would keep people away from me purely out of jealousy. He hates sharing his Mom, but Franny, the pug/shih tzu mix is fiercely protective of both me & Sam, I've seen her go after doberman & shephards who sniffed either of us just a second too long. She really is a little 'b*tch" lol
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just barking inside the house when someone comes to the door has been show to be a pretty big deterrent from theft and home invasions. I'm good with that. They don't have to know that if they actually came inside a little love would come the "beasts" down.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    test:
    Get somebody to star pushing you around and see how defensive he gets. If he gets mad growly and not playful growly, then likely yes.

We did this test with my bfs Italian Greyhound. BF started shoving me around and punching my arm to see what the dog would do. Not hard but it started to hurt so I started screaming I'm gonna get you back for this and the dog went all crazy "Yayy we're getting her" and started nibbling on my arm. Protection fail :(

M_zMWM1_XVtfqOXuMaELHGAFbMzdbSPT9mYftrGAIKI=w184-h250-p-no

But doggie win!! My little dog is extremely people friendly, but he is a bit fearful/aggressive with other dogs. We are working on this. Our big dog was abused as a pup by her previous owner. Due to that abuse, she had a fear/aggressive response with some men, generally ones of a certain build with hiking boots on. We were able to nip it in the bud and in 10 years she hasn't been anything but friendly. So in answer to the question of "would your dog protect you?", no, they certainly would not. But, they bark when someone comes to the door. Sure, it's a tail wagging, greeting bark, but it lets people know there are dogs there and intruders won't want to risk it.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options

Thanks peeps. :)

The beauty of it too is that she is otherwise exceptionally gentle. My son still loves to climb all over her, pull her ears, poke her in the eyes, kiss her on the mouth, etc. She just lies there with a "grin" on her face and occasionally looks at me like, "really, you're letting him do this to me?" She's our gentle guardian. :)

LOL....sounds like you have a wonderful dog! I love my little barker!! She is like a child to me! Very protective...and can tell when you are playing like you are attacking as well usually...like someone hits me to gage her reaction...she knows its play sometimes joins in sometimes doesn't..but will protect anybody she perceives as being attacked.
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The current family dog is a lover not a fighter for sure. If my fiancé and I play fight he just watches and when we're done he comes up to me to make sure I'm OK. But he has no intention of protecting or intervening.

My poodle-terrier growing up would protect us from anything though. He was super-friendly but I remember taking him for a walk and a stray dog (a little bit bigger than he was) came charging at me (not to say hello, but a charge) and Toby ran in front, jumped and pinned the stray to the ground. They didn't fight, there was no blood but once he let go the stray got up and went the other way
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My dog is RIDICULOUSLY protective.

When I lived 'at home', my step-dad once attacked me, and my dog bit him so he had to get a Tetanus. Whenever, my bedroom door would open, he'd go mental to stop anyone coming in. He still does this now.
    If someone's near me and I scream, he gets aggressive. If a strange man comes over to me, he gets aggressive.

He's my bestbestbest friend, and the thing I love most in this World :love: He's lovely most of the time, but would bite anyone who got close to me.