Sugar free

Options
Has anyone done a no sugar diet? I've heard so many benefits but I definitely think I'd struggle with it

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I’ve do no “added sugar” …which I find to be rather simple to follow. I primarily eat a low glycemic diet. I personally feel better and like the benefit of being kinder to my skin.

No sugar on the other hand would be a keto or carnivore diet… in the past when I want to lose water weight before a gala or big event I may drop water weight ala keto.. but it’s more of a temporary thing.

• notafatmommy
    notafatmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been no “added sugar” for 20 months. It has been great for me. I don’t find it particularly difficult, but I love to cook and prefer to eat home. Eating out is difficult, but I am also GF, DF, soy free, so that is what makes it challenging.

I no longer wake up and feel hung over. I sleep better, have fewer headaches, red patches on my face, and no longer have lower back pain. Not sure if that’s all do being no added sugar or combination of everything.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    What benefits have you heard for it that would be important for you, and why? That matters. (You don't have to answer that question, but it's a thing to think about.) And why would it be a struggle? How hard a struggle? That matters, too.

I don't eat lots of added sugar, but I do get quite a bit of sugar daily that's inherent in fruits, veggies, and no-sugar-added dairy foods. (I'm usually over the MFP default goal for total sugar.) I don't see that as a problem, and it certainly didn't prevent my losing weight pretty expediently, nor from maintaining a healthy weight since. I'm not diabetic, wasn't ever (to my knowledge) pre-diabetic or insulin resistant, so I really had no reason - in my own view - to completely eliminate sugar, or even added sugar.

I just try to get good overall nutrition, i.e., enough protein; enough healthy fats; plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits . . . within reasonable calories. If I get that dialed in, and want some chocolate or a cookie, I don't think that's a problem A cookie doesn't cancel out broccoli.

Your circumstances and preferences are different from mine, though, so your best route may be different.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    Well, a no sugar diet would be impossible so I'll assume you mean added sugars.

Yeah, sugars are everywhere and if you did remove all added sugar you've basically eliminated most processed and ultra processed foods and a whole food diet does make a difference in how and what we eat, and for the better, as far as I'm concerned. Saying that, if someone is consuming mostly a whole food diet and adding some sugar for various reasons that that, is perfectly fine and suspect total elimination would not only be almost impossible but also doesn't foster a realistic or healthy relationship with food in general either, imo. Cheers

Very well said🙌
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    For some ppl I'm sure it's easy to do a no ADDED sugar diet...but I'd be miserable and no 'benefits' would be worth it IMO - as I don't have a medical reason to avoid sugar.

So....without you telling us your source or what exactly you've heard about the 'benefits'....it's hard to say.

Severely limiting sugar/carbs is also going to be associated with negative impacts on general brain function as glucose is your brains main source of energy.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about PROCESSED sugar, then yes, you want to limit that however natural sugars found in natural foods are good. The body prefers it for energy so there is no reason to eliminate natural sugar.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    For some ppl I'm sure it's easy to do a no ADDED sugar diet...but I'd be miserable and no 'benefits' would be worth it IMO - as I don't have a medical reason to avoid sugar.

So....without you telling us your source or what exactly you've heard about the 'benefits'....it's hard to say.

Severely limiting sugar/carbs is also going to be associated with negative impacts on general brain function as glucose is your brains main source of energy.

Not really... if you don't eat enough carbs to supply the brain and other organs that must have glucose, your body can and will synthesize all the glucose that it needs from protein and fats.
    If you're talking about PROCESSED sugar, then yes, you want to limit that however natural sugars found in natural foods are good. The body prefers it for energy so there is no reason to eliminate natural sugar.

I would fix the above quote to say 'ADDED PROCESSED sugar'
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Many years ago some family members went on the Sugar Busters diet and gave me the book. No white sugar, white rice, white bread, white potatoes, that sort of thing. I actually managed to do it for about three months. It wasn’t sustainable, not surprisingly, as I love dessert, but I gotta say, I had more energy than I’ve ever had before or since. That might have been due to the lower carb intake, too; a lot of sugar or carbs knocks me right out.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Not really... if you don't eat enough carbs to supply the brain and other organs that must have glucose, your body can and will synthesize all the glucose that it needs from protein and fats.

I would fix the above quote to say 'ADDED PROCESSED sugar'
    pretty all processed sugar is added